Call Me By Your Name

Started by wilder, August 04, 2017, 04:22:08 AM

wilder

Summer of 1983, Northern Italy. An American-Italian is enamored by an American student who comes to study and live with his family. Together they share an unforgettable summer full of music, food, and romance that will forever change them.

Directed by Luca Guadagnino (A Bigger Splash, I Am Love)
Written by James Ivory, based on the novel by André Aciman
Release Date - November 24, 2017

Sleepless

Heard very good things about this and looking forward to eventually seeing it. In the meantime, I came here to post this: Luca Guadagnino Defends Lack Of Frontal Nudity In 'Call Me By Your Name'
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Shughes

Watched this tonight.

One of the best of the year. At least 3 scenes/moments floored me. Great performances across the board.

samsong

didnt love this but expectations were fairly high.  still, i'd like to think i can meet a film on its terms and i felt this was a chore to sit through for most of its running time.  the last twenty minutes or so is pretty lovely but in a way that wasnt necessarily earned by what preceded it.  much is being made of timothee chalamet but michael stuhlbarg, a perenial favorite of mine, gave the best performance in the movie. 

pretty overrated.

wilder

modage

Completely agree. Felt almost no emotional connection to this so the last scene comes out of nowhere for me. The things I loved about the film and have stuck with me are purely aesthetic: the opening credits, the Psychedelic Furs song, the Italian countryside, and the (much ballyhooed) last shot. Without these flourishes, I'm not sure if people would've gone quite so crazy for it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Drenk

You're craaaaaazy. This is a masterpiece.

But I can understand what you mean. I appreciated the craft of Carol but felt nothing about it. I didn't understand the praise. This movie isn't filmed like Carol. It's a mix between Pialat and PTA post Punch Drunk Love and a thing of its own. It left me speechless.
Ascension.

jenkins

David Lowery on 'Call Me By Your Name'

QuoteLuca Guadagnino's films revel in sensuality. I know I am not the first to say this, or to use that term to describe his work, but what word could be better? I might scroll through the thesaurus, looking for synonyms, but what's the point when they all apply? Stirring, carnal, tactile – each of these function in turn, although none suggest the marvelous manner in which Luca evokes them, or what he finds between them.

I remember watching "I Am Love" for the first time and being overwhelmed by the opening overture. The cuts from one shot to the next were so, so confident, so proclamatory, so lusty and resplendent – and that's to say nothing of the images they cut between! I was enraptured with Luca's sense of form (and inspired to later learn he'd shot that entire sequence himself). It carried me through that film's Hitchcockian splendor, into the violent swoon of "A Bigger Splash," and left me altogether unprepared for the elegant simplicity of this year's "Call Me by Your Name," which is surely his best film yet. His formalism here is quieter, the syntax sparser, the vocabulary more refined and tender. But still, at the heart of it all (and there is so much heart here that yours might break) is that one word.

Of course there are other words, too. Run through them all and they begin to lose their meaning, just as a name said over and over again loses its sense of purpose. This is exactly what Elio (Timothee Chalamet) and Oliver (Armie Hammer) do in "Call Me by Your Name." We hear it happen right in front of us: Elio, uttered enough times, ceases to be a name, loses its nameness, melts into a sound: delicate and musical and – yes – you know the word I'm thinking of.

Those sounds, together with the spokes of a bicycle, the crack of an egg, the lap of a lake, the song on the radio during a summer tryst and the banging of a screen door in the morning delineate the romance of "Call Me by Your Name." It is a love story that sneaks up on you, just like the seasons do, just as growing-up does. It does not declare itself; it waits until it no longer needs to, until not a single word is necessary...

...except maybe one.

i'm not all the way opposed to seeing this movie someday. in fact i've thought about going but it just hasn't happened. although two friends and i walked out of I Am Love directly after the overture so it's like wellll.

lorenscope

Looks like a lovely movie for me. It also remind's me of Carol (2015). Too bad I missed the chance to see this.

pete

SPOILERS

one of the most devastating endings that came outta nowhere for me. I had no idea where the film was going after the story got thru all the beats you see in the trailer, then the film coasts for a minute then BAM. it does all that and takes its time and it gave me something that reached a depth that I didn't realize was possible with a summer-time coming-of-age story. I saw ladybird the next day, which was another coming of age story about a 17-year old, with scene stealing parents - it might've given me more laughs and more emotional beats - but Call Me By Your Name knocked me the fuck out, out of nowhere.

it also does all the small things well - like how it sets up the great performances so we're not just watching beautiful close up of great acting, but great images in which the knock out performances were but one of the elements.

This reminds me a little bit of In America - a vastly different film but they're both similar in that I didn't get the hype throughout the film until the film decided to let me know what the hype was about. Phoenix was another example - if it weren't for this board telling me to stick to the end I might've missed the knockout. I know I've used knocked out like a few times today but I feel like I rarely get knocked out - it happens maybe once a year and sometimes none at all.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

jenkins

Sayombhu Mukdeeprom is the dp. so his credits are Mysterious Object at Noon, Blissfully Yours, Syndromes and a Century, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives. he's Apichatpong Weerasethakul's lensman. i think that's the kind of thing someone should have mentioned. is it in "articles" oh. eventually i'll see this movie. and it's good when people like movies.

Kal

Did you guys know they're making a sequel for this????  :ponder:

lorenscope

Quote from: Kal on January 01, 2018, 04:18:44 AM

Where did you get this info?

Drenk

I think he said in an interview that he could direct a sequel, and it then became a running gag on social media and we are now thinking they are planning to make it—but it probably won't happen.

I have seen it again. I love every second of it. It made me think...The story of this movie is nothing new. In some ways it is a basic story. You kind of know what the "plot" will be. (Even if I still have a hard time giving an exact definition of what a plot is...). But it's like no other movie I have seen. It's its own thing—visually, emotionally...

But I can't explain why it's more than a variation of a well known story. I've also seen Lady Bird recently and, even if I liked the movie, it wasn't more than a variation of a movie I had already seen—it gave a specific flavor to it, it had personality, but I didn't find it really interesting. I'm getting sick of watching almost the same movies. But I guess that the "plot" isn't what gives this impression of sameness. It's more about the form.

And personal taste? Emotional involvement, etc. But those who didn't like the movie or didn't care: did you only see it as a story you had already seen? Even if a cold detachment isn't the best thing there is...

Call Me By Your Name is tactile, moody, mysterious, a mix of spleen and sweetness. I also think the script is very good. The way it moves, the way they interact, the way the "plot" or the "action" is happening/not happening. And Chalamet and Hammer are absolutely prodigious in this one. They bring something to the screen that is rare. This is one of a kind combination, one of a kind chemistry.

I can't wait to watch it again. Failing to grasp it totally again.

Ascension.

Kal

Quote from: lorenscope on January 01, 2018, 09:30:51 PM
Quote from: Kal on January 01, 2018, 04:18:44 AM

Where did you get this info?

There are several interviews where he mentions the sequel, and there even an IMDb page for it. Maybe it's BS but it does not seem like a joke...