Tom Cruise on Inside the Actor's Studio

Started by BrainSushi, January 11, 2004, 06:06:55 AM

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gambloren das ManhörenHave you ever watched a comedian? How many times does the audience clap at those moments when you're like "Why are they clapping? That wasn't very funny" Like EVERYTIME a goddamn standup is like "So yeah, I just got married" or "I've got three kids" or whatever phrase about his family or whatever. Or when they make a reference to a previous joke or some current hot topic, the audience claps because they think they're supposed to assure the comedian that they're paying attention.

Different situation. Cruise was not on stage performing. Anyway, if a comedian doesn't get a response to his jokes, then he's a very bad comedian. The audience for that wants to laugh and have a good time.

Quote from: Gambloren das ManhörenLikewise, with the Cruise interview, I quit believing that the audience was applauding out of appreciation but had started clapping because they had clapped for every other film he named. There became that obligation to clap, otherwise it'd feel weird to not clap for a movie, it'd be awkward.

I don't think they quit applauding out of appreciation. You could hear hoots and hollers at certain films because they really liked that film mentioned.

Quote from: Gambloren das ManhörenTo compare to hugs and kisses, your friends over, he/she goes "Hey I just went to the store and got some cookies." Do you say, "COOKIES?!? I love cookies!" and then proceed to hug and kiss them? Well that's how I feel about audiences, I don't give random hugs and kisses to my friends in the middle of a conversation, unless something bad happened.

That was a terrible analogy. But I'll take up slack:

It would be if your friend made cookies for an entire group of people; slaving away on them for a long time to give 'em the perfect taste and look, etc. Then he/she presents them at a party or gathering. You and the others like them so much and appreciate the time and effort he/she took to make them for all of you that you hug/kiss/shake hands for doing what she/he did.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Quote from: MacGuffin
Different situation. Cruise was not on stage performing. Anyway, if a comedian doesn't get a response to his jokes, then he's a very bad comedian. The audience for that wants to laugh and have a good time.

That was a terrible analogy. But I'll take up slack:

It would be if your friend made cookies for an entire group of people; slaving away on them for a long time to give 'em the perfect taste and look, etc. Then he/she presents them at a party or gathering. You and the others like them so much and appreciate the time and effort he/she took to make them for all of you that you hug/kiss/shake hands for doing what she/he did.

It's not a different situation. It's my point. Audiences applaud for no reason. I'm finished making that point.

It's not the stupidest analogy. It has everything to do with my point. The cookies are analogous to Tom Cruise movies ("things people like" could be a further extrapolation of the analogy). To react to someone mentioning cookies in such an overzealous fashion, as was done in my analogy, is unnecessary. Likewise, the simple mentioning of one of Cruise's movies should not be met with applause. Wait for him to get done baking and then applaud.
WWPTAD?

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Gambloren das Manhören
It's not a different situation. It's my point. Audiences applaud for no reason. I'm finished making that point.

It's not the stupidest analogy. It has everything to do with my point. The cookies are analogous to Tom Cruise movies ("things people like" could be a further extrapolation of the analogy). To react to someone mentioning cookies in such an overzealous fashion, as was done in my analogy, is unnecessary. Likewise, the simple mentioning of one of Cruise's movies should not be met with applause. Wait for him to get done baking and then applaud.
But maybe they really, really love Cruise's work? I can't imagine too many showing up who despise this man, so why shouldn't they applaud?

Like, if Kubrick were still alive (or whoever your favorite director is) and on The Actors' Studio and you were there, you wouldn't applaud and show your appreciation?

Besides that, if my memory serves me, not every movie received the same amount of gratitude.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Gamblour.

Quote from: ranemaka13so why shouldn't they applaud?

Because it wastes time and takes away from the interview.
WWPTAD?

Weird. Oh

I totally agree with those who were discussing the fact that the applause appeared very disingenuous.  That's why all the awards shows are lame. Its 4 hours of clapping and self indulgence.

Lipton: and Tom one of your greastest pieces of work was in that little known
commerical where you promoted Kitty Litter!
(Audience rises in standing ovation)
Cruise: Yes yes, thank you.

You also have to remember these students are aspiring actors which they're going to have to kiss everyone's ass. They might as well get used to it now.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

.....ITAS...thats inside the actor's studio....is actually a funy show ina way....
from reading all of the posts here some say its silly to clap...some say its not silly to clap......i think it is not silly to clap..and it shows admiration....if i was in that audience i would clap....to (which both hands.... :shock: .....but whats is funnny though...is that since this is ::speaks in an arrogant conceded voice::."inside the actors studio hosted by the prestigious lipton"......i find it funny that when they do clap kinnd of lashes out aginst the "prestigue" of it all and makes it like a high school graduation ceremony...when the popular kids' names are called ...everyone goe ape-sh*t.....

the show would serve better if it wasnn't thrying to act like a snobby exclusive club......did you guys see those people in the audience..... :roll: ...damn....i wouldn't even cast them as  even extras in deep impact or something......

ITAS mocks itself.....[/i]

Gamblour.

Quote from: NEON MERCURYand makes it like a high school graduation ceremony...when the popular kids' names are called ...everyone goe ape-sh*t.....

hahahaha great point...but I hate what you said about Dave Grohl  :x
WWPTAD?

freakerdude

I really liked Tom's character portayal in Magnolia so much that I thought it was his best performance IMO.

Benecio and Willem Dafoe gave excellent interviews on the ITAS.

Will Ferrell's SNL impression of James Lipton is very funny if you are familiar with ITAS and he adds a strange twist to Lipton's interviews.
MC Pee Pants