Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Pubrick

GT, any news on a shirt i ordered from print liberation nearly 2 weeks ago?
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pubrick on June 05, 2007, 11:31:39 PM
GT, any news on a shirt i ordered from print liberation nearly 2 weeks ago?

Yea, cancelled. You still haven't been forgiven for liking Apocalypto.

Sunrise

the newsletter said to set your clocks to "magic hour" this fall. Any rumors of Malick, specifically Days of Heaven on the way??!!!!!

edison

That is totally Days of Heaven!!! Another release from their paramount deal.

Xx

Gold Trumpet

I almost bought a $5 DVD, but at least now I can netflix the title and get the best picture quality.

And the newsletter also opined on the theatrical release of Mala Noche. Seems like a gurantee to me.

MacGuffin

For not having many DVDs, Bethie will now have to double dip.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

I Don't Believe in Beatles

These September releases were just added to the site:

And Martha Graham: Dance on Film.  (No cover yet.)
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

A Matter Of Chance

Are they trying to surprise people with Breathless or something?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: A Matter Of Chance on June 15, 2007, 03:51:06 PM
Are they trying to surprise people with Breathless or something?

I'm thinking my earlier report was premature.

Gold Trumpet

As far as the titles go, it was predictable Night on Earth and Stranger than Paradise were right around the corner when Criterion opened up two back-to-back spine numbers last month. I've seen Stranger than Paradise and have no interest to buy it, but I'll netflix Night on Earth.

Pabst's The Threepenny Opera is very interesting. Pabst has gone by the way side of major respect over the years, but I'm finding him to be more interesting all the time. I'll netflix this title and hope Criterion someday releases his long forgotten film, The Secrets of the Soul. It's the film he did with Freudian students.

Amazingly, the title I'm most likely to blind buy is Martha Graham: Dance on Film. It's a left field release for Criterion, but it sounds amazing. I've always loved the art of dance and felt that the old Hollywood musical was the best thing about Hollywood at the time. It is the one time that professionals of another art form fully showed themselves in film. The musical today is laughable and an embarassment to the grandeur the musicals once had. Martha Graham likely will not fufill my nostalgia for old musicals, but a two disc set devoted to dance (even ballerina work) sounds excellent.

noyes

i'm just glad Permanent Vacation is included.
i've always wanted to see that movie.
south america's my name.

Gold Trumpet

A title I'm not that familar with, but one I know means a lot to others. Two-Lane Blacktop looks like it is coming from Criterion soon. A post from Criterion forum says it here:

"Brad Stevens, who has written a book on Monte Hellman and seems the obvious choice for the liner notes, says Criterion is working on a new edition of Two-Lane Blacktop featuring a new documentary that revisits the shooting locations and more."

Ghostboy

AMAZING. I love this movie. And Brad Stevens is awesome, too.