Werner Herzog

Started by adolfwolfli, August 06, 2003, 01:05:56 PM

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

pete

it's a fake right? It says right there who wrote it.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

RegularKarate

yes, of course it's a fake. 

Neil

I think the word you all were searching for was, "joke."  Something along those lines.  Maybe not a funny joke, but pun was intended.

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Ravi

http://www.slashfilm.com/robert-pattinson-attached-to-play-lawrence-of-arabia-for-werner-herzog/

Robert Pattinson Attached to Play Lawrence of Arabia for Werner Herzog
Posted on Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 by Russ Fischer

Can Robert Pattinson fill the shoes of Peter O'Toole? More important, can he match the defining Lawrence of Arabia when it comes to humanity and gravitas?

You may recall that Werner Herzog has been prepping a film called Queen of the Desert, in which Naomi Watts is set to play English writer, explorer, and archaeologist Gertrude Stein. Now Pattinson has been attached to play T.E. Lawrence, aka Lawrence of Arabia, in Herzog's film. Lawrence was a colleague and friend to Bell, and casting Pattinson suggests that he'll figure prominently in Herzog's take on Bell's history.

Variety says that the film aims to shoot late this fall, which would bring to fruition the plan Herzog has discussed since 2010. He originally described the film as "a big epic film set in the desert," and we don't have much more from Herzog than that. But his long-standing interest in chronicling important historical figures who aren't exactly household names leads to some high hopes for this film. (Bell will be perhaps one of Herzog's best-known subjects, but I imagine most of the details of her life won't be known to the film's broad audience.)

Other actors to play T.E. Lawrence over the years, though never in a production so monumental as David Lean's epic Lawrence of Arabia, include Ian McKellen and Ralph Fiennes. And Herzog isn't the only major filmmaker to train his eye on Gertrude Bell lately, as Ridley Scott also has a biopic planned.

malkovich

Wow, I like this new art house direction Pattinson's moving in. First Cronenberg, now Werner Herzog. Sounds pretty cool. I'm looking forward to it.

Pubrick

Quote from: Ravi on August 14, 2012, 04:49:48 PM
http://www.slashfilm.com/robert-pattinson-attached-to-play-lawrence-of-arabia-for-werner-herzog/

Naomi Watts is set to play English writer, explorer, and archaeologist Gertrude Stein.

They fucked up here, they meant Gertrude Bell as they refer to her throughout the rest of the article. Gertrude Stein was definitely not an explorer or archaeologist.
under the paving stones.

P Heat

Quote from: Pubrick on August 14, 2012, 11:40:46 PM
Quote from: Ravi on August 14, 2012, 04:49:48 PM

Naomi Watts is set to play English writer, explorer, and archaeologist Gertrude Stein.

They fucked up here, they meant Gertrude Bell as they refer to her throughout the rest of the article. Gertrude Stein was definitely not an explorer or archaeologist.

thanks for clear up. Werner needs to do 'The Piano Tuner" already. This Queen of the Desert doesn't sound as good as it. Still being how old Werner is I think its awesome how he still wants to tackle harsh climate conditions.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

HeywoodRFloyd

Okay, I'm a bit mind blown right now.

I was watching The White Diamond for the first time just before. Little did I know, the main character, Dr. Graham Dorrington, is my Aerospace Propulsion Lecturer.

Like I handed in a paper to him last friday.

I just emailed him.

Seriously my mind is blown.

RegularKarate

Werner is in Jack Reacher

Pedro

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on October 17, 2012, 07:19:49 AM
I was watching The White Diamond for the first time just before. Little did I know, the main character, Dr. Graham Dorrington, is my Aerospace Propulsion Lecturer.

I just emailed him.

Seriously my mind is blown.

Ask him about what all was scripted.

pete

that's amazing. I love that film. That's my favorite Werner film.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Werner Herzog Made a Documentary About Texting While Driving. And It's Haunting.

By David Haglund | Posted Friday, Aug. 9, 2013, at 10:04 AM
source: Slate

"From One Second to the Next," the rather unlikely film below, came together when AT&T approached the legendary German filmmaker Werner Herzog and asked if he would direct a series of short films warning people about the dangers of texting while driving.

"What AT&T proposed immediately clicked and connected inside of me," Herzog told the AP. "There's a completely new culture out there. I'm not a participant of texting and driving—or texting at all—but I see there's something going on in civilization which is coming with great vehemence at us."

The result is haunting. It focuses on four accidents, some of them fatal, and Herzog aims his camera squarely at the faces of both victims and perpetrators, asking them to describe in detail what happened and the aftermath. Herzog emphasizes the change in civilization he perceives in part by examining an accident in which an Amish family was killed and another in which a horse-shoer's truck was involved.

another Herzog quote from the AP article: "This has nothing to do with consumerism or being part of advertising products. This whole campaign is rather dissuading you from excessive use of a product. It's a campaign. We're not trying to sell anything to you. We're not trying to sell a mobile phone to you. We're trying to raise awareness."
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Russell Brand, Pamela Anderson, Mike Tyson Set to Join Werner Herzog's 'Vernon God Little'
Source: Variety

BERLIN — Russell Brand, Pamela Anderson and Mike Tyson are set to join the cast of Werner Herzog's "Vernon God Little."

Sasha Pieterse, Julia Sarah Stone and Austin Abrams, who will play Vernon, have also been lined up for the dark coming-of-age pic about teenage alienation, which is being sold at the European Film Market in Berlin by HanWay.

Brand is set to play a charming, yet unscrupulous TV reporter, Lally, who manipulates the situation, while Anderson will be Vernon's sweet airhead mother, and Tyson is the ax murderer, Lasalle, who Vernon meets in jail, and who gives him the name "God."

Herzog, who is shooting "Queen of the Desert" in Morocco, starts lensing "Vernon God Little" in April.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Garam

Amazing. Great news. Any other director, even PTA, I'd treat the news of Pamela Anderson, Russell Brand or Mike Tyson joining the cast with worry and disappointment. But those people fits Herzog's way of seeing the world, and that oddball book so well. This is the same guy that managed to channel Nic Cage at his most manic and insane into some type of garbled transcendence. I don't even like that book enough to read it again, but as a jumping off point to twist it into whatever he likes it's perfect, fits in really well with his recent Death Row work. I'm glad he's making more fiction films in the southern states. Bad Lieutenant's a bit of a masterpiece. Long live Herzog, one of the few relevant old masters.