Kubrick's 2001 DVD - which one to buy?

Started by cine, August 10, 2003, 04:43:24 AM

cine

Ok I'm torn between two choices. There's a collector's set of 2001 which a big fuckin' box that comes with all that shit inside like the booklet and images from the film and such.. or the second restored Kubrick Collection DVD..
Which one of these has the better quality film overall? Does anyone here know which one is more favourable for the film itself?

I was wondering this about the Lawrence of Arabia DVD but I'm thinking the Superbit one will be the superior disc.

aclockworkjj

nice av dude....at least try to make your own...

lamas

I asked the same question and was told that the transfer on the 2 editions is the same.  So basically you'd be paying $40 more for nice packaging.  I bought the cheaper version.  I read that they're preparing new Kubrick DVDs though.  I'm sure it'll be a while before they come out.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: aclockworkjjnice av dude....at least try to make your own...

Isn't imitation the highest form of flattery?  :roll:
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoobIsn't imitation the highest form of flattery?  :roll:

I suppose so....but "fuckin' cheap" reguardless.....punk ass playa.

Ravi

Quote from: CinephileOk I'm torn between two choices. There's a collector's set of 2001 which a big fuckin' box that comes with all that shit inside like the booklet and images from the film and such.. or the second restored Kubrick Collection DVD..
Which one of these has the better quality film overall? Does anyone here know which one is more favourable for the film itself?

If you want all that extra stuff, go ahead.  The box has the second edition disc (with the "digitally restored" banner).

QuoteI was wondering this about the Lawrence of Arabia DVD but I'm thinking the Superbit one will be the superior disc.

Yes it will.  As I mentioned on another thread, the first 2-disc edition had some transfer problems, such as the occasional color inaccuracies and too much sharpening/edge enhancement.  The Superbit transfer was supervised by Robert A. Harris, who restored the film in the '80s.  I wish they made it a Superbit Deluxe title and included the extras on a 3rd disc.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=152422

BTW, RAH has a column at thedigitalbits.com

I'm still kicking myself for not seeing Lawrence of Arabia in the theater when Columbia re-released some of their films for their 75th anniversary.  I did see Dr. Strangelove the night it Kubrick died.

aclockworkjj

yeah...don't buy the souped up thang unless you plan on gettin' them all...buy the set...it's the best.

cine

Many thanks, Ravi and lamas.

Cheers, jj.

tpfkabi

Quote from: lamasI read that they're preparing new Kubrick DVDs though.  I'm sure it'll be a while before they come out.

another freaking version of Kubrick films? what are these suppose to add to the already remastered remasters????
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideasanother freaking version of Kubrick films? what are these suppose to add to the already remastered remasters????

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=282&start=30
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

sorry cine, but I am takin' it back...feel free to keep yours though as I could careless.... :wink:

Ravi

cine

This isn't too significant but I was just curious.. wasn't the original release a few minutes longer than that?

cine

Well I just purchased the Lawrence of Arabia Superbit today for $26.99 CDN. It was definitely worth it. I had read the DVDfile.com review last night and I didn't care about the sound criticisms because I just felt it was very minor quibbles for what is clearly the best restoration I assume they can do. A+++

Ravi

Quote from: CinephileWell I just purchased the Lawrence of Arabia Superbit today for $26.99 CDN. It was definitely worth it. I had read the DVDfile.com review last night and I didn't care about the sound criticisms because I just felt it was very minor quibbles for what is clearly the best restoration I assume they can do. A+++

I'm looking forward to getting it.  I've only seen the film on an old RCA/Columbia letterbox VHS derived from an anamorphic print cropped to about 2.20:1.  So it could have been cropped on all 4 sides.

One of the threads on hometheaterforum.com has links to many graphic comparisons between the old and new discs.