Death Cab for Cutie

Started by Gamblour., December 07, 2004, 04:40:42 PM

Gamblour.

No topic, eh? Well I just listened to Transatlanticism the other. Fucking amazing, it's gentle but powerful at the same time, which is perfect. Some of the lyrics are goofy, like Title and Registration's, but I LOVE this album so much.

Perhaps we can include the Postal Service in this thread. I can't believe search isn't coming up with anything, I could've sworn there was a TPS thread.
WWPTAD?

Film Student

You wanna hear some great Death Cab, listen to "Something about Airplanes" and "The Photo Album"....  "President of What" is one of my favorite songs of all time, and their covers of The Smith's "This Charming Man" and Bjork's "All is Full of Love" are both top notch.  

In my estimation, The Photo Album is their most emotionally powerful album; not quite as technically accomplished as Transatlanticism, but it's heart and sincerity far outweigh anything else they've ever done.  "Movie Script Ending", "Information Travels", and "We Laugh Indoors" are three of the best songs on that album.

I actually prefer the Postal Service to Death Cab, but I'm more inclined towards electronic/dance these days...
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

cowboykurtis

saw them live a couple months ago -- i think they're a better studio band. still a big fan -- postal service is getting over-exposed -- would love to hear a new album -- big fan of dntel and figurine as well. good shit
...your excuses are your own...

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cowboykurtis

Quote from: petehiiiiiipsters.

what is your take on young republicans?
...your excuses are your own...

pete

I like you okay when you toss my dingleberry.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

RegularKarate

I don't want to like these bands because I hate most of the people that do and I usually really hate bands with names like Death Cab for Cutie, but I really like them, especially Transatlanticism.

My wife makes fun of me any time I listen to them.

matt35mm

All of their albums are great, I think.  Yeah, I know that they're... regarded as an "emo" band and we all hate emo kids, but I think that they're mislabeled as that, and that's not their fault.

The songs are genuinely well written, and have AMAZING hooks that are more than the recycled catchy hooks that litter most songs.  A lot of people can't tell the difference between a song that earns its catchiness (and the value of that) and a song that cheats it.  Death Cab also isn't really that whiny, which most emo bands are.

"We Have The Facts And We're Voting Yes" should also be mentioned.  That's a very solid album as well, excellent for putting me in a slow, moody and focused mood (great for when I'm writing).  But, like I said, all of the albums are pretty great.

Bethie

Quote from: Film Student

In my estimation, The Photo Album is their most emotionally powerful album; not quite as technically accomplished as Transatlanticism, but it's heart and sincerity far outweigh anything else they've ever done.  "Movie Script Ending", "Information Travels", and "We Laugh Indoors" are three of the best songs on that album.

That's the one I own.
who likes movies anyway

Pedro

Death Cab for Cutie is kinda...boring.  They don't really get my attention at all.  Also, postal service is better.

Gamblour.

That's interesting, one of the things I liked about them is the fact taht I started listening to the album and couldn't stop, they totally had my attention. Probably just one of those things.
WWPTAD?

imawombat

i love them and enjoyed them live as well...

i agree that "photo album" is great but don't forget about "we have the facts and we're voting yes"...

imho, part of the problem is that they're kind of overexposed because of their being on the OC.  i didn't know about this and the last show of theirs i saw, there were the usual fans and then a flock of 14 year old oc watchers...and i have to say that was somewhat unsettling.  

but still, great band...
these things do happen

matt35mm

Quote from: imawombati agree that "photo album" is great but don't forget about "we have the facts and we're voting yes"...

Quote from: matt35mm"We Have The Facts And We're Voting Yes" should also be mentioned.  That's a very solid album as well, excellent for putting me in a slow, moody and focused mood (great for when I'm writing).

We're cool.

imawombat

doh!  sorry about that matt.  thats what i get for posting before i've had my coffee :|
these things do happen

matt35mm

No, I meant that we are cool.  We are cool people.