Ask polkablues

Started by polkablues, August 30, 2012, 08:21:42 PM

polkablues

Quote from: KJ on August 31, 2012, 10:36:08 AM
Shall I drink 7 or 14 bears tonight?

Sometimes you drink the bear, and sometimes the bear drinks you.
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

I asked this on Facebook and no one's giving me a straight answer, so I think it's time to (game-show-audience-chant style): ASK POLKABLUES!

Why do people say "I'd give my left nut" and "I'd give my right arm?" Why not the right nut or the left arm? Perhaps it could be argued that if you are right-handed and are willing to give up your right arm, that demonstrates just how much you are willing to give to get the thing you desire. But what's the deal with the left nut? Why is one nut preferable to the other nut? Why don't people say "I'd give one of my nuts?" Does one nut do more than the other nut?

polkablues

I think you nailed it about the right arm thing. For the majority of people, the right arm is the dominant arm, so you would be paying a dearer price to give it up.

As for left nut, I have a couple theories. One is simple phonics; the "ft" sound adds an inherent level of humor to the phrase. The other theory is that the word "right" is ambiguous. Rather than clearly signifying a right/left dichotomy, it could be taken to mean right/wrong, which creates a momentary confusion that dulls the impact of what you're saying.

Another possibility is that the left, or "sinister", nut is the money nut, the nut that gets things done. I'm not a doctor, but I'm willing to pretend to be one if you need me to back that theory up.

InTylerWeTrust

A question about alcoholism that turned into a comment about diabetes which then turned into a discussion about testicles..... Boy, I feel like I'm having dinner at my Grandpa's house.

Question: (First let me say, I personally don't give a shit about politics but this question is for shits and giggles)

What do you make of Old man Clint's speech last night?

The dude was talking to a goddamn chair, man... (another thing that reminds me of my grandpa's house... R.I.P)
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

RegularKarate

Polka, do you ever make yourself real drinks like a real man?

Also, should I start one of these threads?

Also, (and I wasn't asked here so feel free to ignore this) "I'd give my left nut" is clearly a play on "I'd give my right arm".

polkablues

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 31, 2012, 12:08:54 PM
What do you make of Old man Clint's speech last night?

The dude was talking to a goddamn chair, man... (another thing that reminds me of my grandpa's house... R.I.P)

It exemplified the modern day Republican party to a T: an old white man yelling at an imaginary version of Barack Obama.

Really, the whole thing was such a surreal train wreck, but at least it got people talking about it.  If not for Clint, we would have completely forgotten by now that the Republican Convention ever happened.

Quote from: RegularKarate on August 31, 2012, 02:04:24 PM
Polka, do you ever make yourself real drinks like a real man?

I'm confused, are you asking me if I own and operate a distillery? 

Also, should I start one of these threads?

Stop trying to steal my thunder, thunder-thief.

Also, (and I wasn't asked here so feel free to ignore this) "I'd give my left nut" is clearly a play on "I'd give my right arm".

Sure, but that doesn't address the switch of right to left.  If it's just a direct takeoff, why don't people say, "I'd give my right nut?"  The replacement of "arm" with "nut" already gives you your shock humor value, why go that extra step of altering it even further from the original expression?  As far as I'm concerned, anything worth analyzing is worth over-analyzing. 

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

polkablues

Well played.  If I could upvote that more than once, I would.

Pozer

polks, if it came down to it would you give your right arm or your left nut?

polkablues

Left nut. Easiest question ever.

Pozer

polky, now that youre left with one nut do you change your name to ballcutblues?

Pubrick

1. Isn't this thread just a blatant grab for easy karma?

2. Is it me or has your drinking and therefore general xixax activity gone way up since you got married?
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Quote from: Pozer on August 31, 2012, 09:50:17 PM
polky, now that youre left with one nut do you change your name to ballcutblues?

No, that would be weird.

Quote from: Pubrick on August 31, 2012, 10:17:08 PM
1. Isn't this thread just a blatant grab for easy karma?

Quiet, you'll queer the deal!

Quote from: Pubrick on August 31, 2012, 10:17:08 PM
2. Is it me or has your drinking and therefore general xixax activity gone way up since you got married?

It's more that the general planning and run up to the wedding took up so much of my free time, and now that it's in the past I have all these extra hours to fill with drunken Xixaxery. And I actually don't drink that often; all of today's answers have been sober, which is why they're not as good.

Jeremy Blackman

I heard that when you reach 100 Respect, you win a bear.

Reel

I remember when I had my first bear.

( JB doesn't, because that point in time never existed )