JOHN CARPENTER

Started by modage, June 19, 2003, 02:13:35 PM

SiliasRuby

Everyone has said 'Memoirs of an Invisible Man' is crap, without actually have seen it. Well, I have seen it and it isn't as shitty as everyone says. Its one of the few Chevy Chase movies that shines. It has many familar faces. By the way, I love Sam Neil. There are many questions about the character and his specific properties. Wha he can and can't do, especially when it is considering the invisible man's clothes. The main character isn't as fleshed out as I'd like but overall I enjoyed this particular story.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

Quote from: SiliasRuby on March 28, 2009, 12:06:23 PM
The main character isn't as fleshed out as I'd like but overall I enjoyed this particular story.

pun!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: modage on March 29, 2009, 10:11:32 AM
Quote from: SiliasRuby on March 28, 2009, 12:06:23 PM
The main character isn't as fleshed out as I'd like but overall I enjoyed this particular story.

pun!
Was thinking no one was going to catch it.

My Collection

MacGuffin

Danielle Panabaker checks in to 'Ward'
Amber Heard also stars in John Carpenter thriller
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Danielle Panabaker will star opposite Amber Heard in "The Ward," a psychological horror thriller that John Carpenter is directing for Echo Lake Entertainment and A Bigger Boat.

The story follows a girl (Heard) who is admitted to a psychiatric ward, meets other girls there with distinct personalities and discovers a mysterious girl haunting the halls at night.

Panabaker plays a patient in the institution, a snobbish girl who flirts with orderlies and faces electroshock therapy.

Mamie Gummer ("Taking Woodstock") also has been cast as a patient.

Michael and Shawn Rasmussen wrote the script, with revisions by Jim Agnew and Sean Keller.

Doug Mankoff, Peter Block, Mike Marcus and Andrew Spaulding are producing. Principal photography is scheduled to begin next month in Spokane, Wash.

FilmNation is handling international sales for the film.

Panabaker, repped by UTA and Management 360, most recently starred in the hit remake "Friday the 13th." She recently wrapped production on Overture's "The Crazies" and is in production on the indie drama "Weakness."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

'They Live'
My Gosh how this film holds up. Its now my ultimate favorite john carpenter film now.

My Collection

socketlevel

Quote from: SiliasRuby on December 19, 2011, 02:35:25 AM
'They Live'
My Gosh how this film holds up. Its now my ultimate favorite john carpenter film now.

:yabbse-thumbup: it's a masterpiece
the one last hit that spent you...

Neil

I just caught 'They Live' again,and god damn what an awesome movie.  I love the marxist angle in there regarding who controls these faculties that alien(ate) us. From what i remember, a lot of the aliens are wealthy looking individuals who seem to adhere to the everything the ads are telling us.  I don't know.  All i know is this film rocks.  You spend like the first 20 minutes thinking, "ok, so rowdy roddy piper is roaming around?" then BOOM: ALIENS.  I could go on and on.  Hopefully i'll get my thoughts lined out on this film and post something cool up here.

Also, I caught this thing Rob Ager did on "the thing" and it gave me a whole new appreciation of the film.

dig this 

Part one

Part two
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

socketlevel

they live was a childhood favorite of mine, i watch it at least twice a year. I love it. Roddy and Keith are perfect. Glad you have a found or new-found love for the film.

I always talk about it. in fact, tonight films came up at dinner with friends and I once again brought it up.

Rob Ager is hit and miss with me. Sometimes he's out on a huge limb. this review was pretty good though.
the one last hit that spent you...

diggler

Thanks for that Thing analysis, there was some good stuff in there.  I can't believe I never noticed the coats.

I recently watched They Live for the first time in years and I realized I had only ever seen a VHS copy taped off of television. It's terrific and such a product of it's time, no way could that tone be pulled off today. Also, it still has my favorite fight scene.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

tpfkabi

TCM played They Live recently with another Carpenter movie, which I can't remember now.

I'm pretty sure that's the first time I saw it in widescreen, unedited.

That fight scene is just so hilariously unnecessary, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

The woman's eyes are so scary.

The movie just comes to an odd grinding hault, and then you got a random naked chick humping an alien.

Is this the only movie ever to only show nudity in the last scene?  :yabbse-grin:

I recently got the Fog SE DVD for $3 at Big Lots! and thought that was OK, but no quite up to par with Halloween.

As far as Carpenter films I haven't seen, I'm most interested in the Escape films, Dark Star, and Starman.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

wilder

I was watching "The Gas Station" segment of Body Bags and liked the visual style - some of the compositions/colors reminded me of The Master. I took some screencaps:

Reel

This is the only thing that reminds me of The Master:

what did you see in the rest of 'em?

wilder

When I think about the visual style of The Master, I think of it being like a tropical fish -- a near rainbow array of colors in many frames, negative space around the characters, liquidy, etc. Lots of glowing lights in the backgrounds of shots. That said, there isn't a direct parallel here. It merely reminds me. Some of it is probably the generally restrained and deliberate cutting style, at least in the beginning of "The Gas Station" segment -- wide/close/wide, few camera moves...that obviously doesn't come across through screencaps alone. Here are some frames to compare to to get a better idea of what I'm talking about:

vs

Maybe PSH's outfit and the car here, also:

jenkins

Quote from: wilder on April 30, 2014, 03:14:06 PM
It just occurred to me that John Carpenter is like the real-life version of Bad Santa. At least I like to imagine him that way. Did anyone see that semi-recent interview with him where he basically admits he doesn't give a shit about making movies anymore, that he just wants to stay home and play Xbox? I'll try to find it.

lol. as pubrick likes to say: he's done. for sure. the easiest way to be done is to say you're done, and carpenter likes to say it

funny overlap between the photos you provided and the video -- the photos are from the american cinematheque, aka the egyptian and aero, and i heard him say the videogame thing at the aero when he spoke between escape from ny/escape from la. that day he said he spends all his time playing ninja gaiden now. i was with a friend who plays ninja gaiden and he thought that was a wonderful thing to hear. cool, nbd, but that's some bad santa filmmaker talk