HOLY SHIT! KILL BILL IN TWO PARTS! Volume Two

Started by modage, July 15, 2003, 11:24:11 PM

modage

Kill Bill Split Into Two Films
Confirmed Source: New York Times, Bigred303  Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Word first reached us back in February about this, then earlier this week it resurfaced, and now it's been confirmed - director Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill will be split into two films, with the first part to be released on October 10. The New York Times reports on the confirmation from Miramax co-founder Harvey Weinstein.

Miramax Films will take the unusual and potentially risky move of releasing "Kill Bill," the much-anticipated Quentin Tarantino martial arts action-adventure film, as two movies, the first to open in the fall. Miramax will in effect be taking a three-hour film with a 200-page script and turning it into a serial.

Harvey Weinstein, a co-founder of Miramax, which is financing the film, said in an interview on Monday that the first installment would be in theaters on Oct. 10. The second release date is in still being negotiated, but it could be two to six months later, he said.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

Fine by me, but I do wish we could sit through the whole thing in one sitting right off the bat. Oh well, I'm sure it's for the better.

modage

i think this is a very daring move.  but i am going to be upset if we have to wait more like 6 months instead of 2.  because at that point, isnt it more like a "sequel", and less like the other installment?  (like back to the future 3 and matrix 3?)  they should release them a few weeks apart.  because otherwise, in 6 months, you wont remember where the fuck you were at in the story when you sit down for part two. you will, emotionally be totally out of it.  the only way would be to release them both simultaneously or a few weeks apart so you can see them back to back.  otherwise, this is going to be upsetting.  i hope they will be considering this, although at this point, i'm sure they are more concerned about getting paid for the tickets twice to help recoup the budget and less about what anal fanboys think about it.

on another thought, will this mean 2 dvds seperately priced/packaged?  or will it be a 2 or 3 disc set you can only buy together?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

but it's only three hours, that's still a reasonable screentime to sit through.  It's not like now that it's split in two films, I'll only pay $4 for each film, I still pay the same money, now I just have to pay it twice on separate occasions.  there have been samurai films and martial arts films going for nearly three hours.  those miramax boys just don't respect martial arts films.  they probably couldn't get tarantino to back down by cutting out half an hour of film the way they did with Zhang Yimou for Hero.  ahhh miramax.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SHAFTR

If they release them weeks apart do you think that will result in lower first week Box Office receipts b/c people will decide to wait a few weeks and see both films with days of eachother.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pubrick

good points with the loss of tension.. i got no problem with 6 months of waiting tho. unless u've read the script, then it'll build anticipation and make the conclusion more satisfying, u know like real revenge should feel.

if 2 parts is the only way they will release the complete film then that's how it has to be. there'll be double screenings for sure, i mean, they do that shit already with Matrix and Reloaded. at least here they did.
under the paving stones.

chainsmoking insomniac

I'm just wondering if this script is tight enough to break into two parts.  It would be really shitty if the first half sucked...luring an audience to go see the second half of a shitty movie just seems very exploitative.

And I know what you're going to say: "Then don't go see the second half.."

I'd still have to though.  I hate leaving a story unfinished.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Raikus

All it is is marketing. Of course they're going to break it up in two parts. That's double the revenue return. Even if the movie is marginal (which I don't think it will be) people will see the second half to finish the movie.

This thing isn't Shaka Zulu or anything. Bad form, Miramax.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

chainsmoking insomniac

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

markums2k

If I retain my ticket stub, can I just come back to the same seat where I was for part one?

Could this be the beginning of a bad trend?  I don't mind this terrible deal if Tarantino is behind it... but I could see this getting way out of control if this thing is a success, which it very well may be.

If studios realize they can charge you twice for one movie, the sky is the limit.

SHAFTR

Quote from: markums2k
If studios realize they can charge you twice for one movie, the sky is the limit.

They have done that before.

Tommy Boy / Black Sheep is a perfect example
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

markums2k

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: markums2k

They have done that before.

Tommy Boy / Black Sheep is a perfect example

:lol: