Noah

Started by MacGuffin, November 04, 2006, 01:13:15 AM

Pozer

Quote from: cronopio 2 on June 27, 2011, 07:19:37 PM
that movie , to me, represents the death of (some parts of) cinema.

that's such a retired hipster thing to say.

cronopio 2

i know the rational thing is to badmouth transformers 3 and the bunch of mediocre films that come each out week, every year. but that is also very easy and ends up being pointless. all i can say right now is, mila kunis wears black and grey and natalie portman wears pink and white. it's those things that made me mad about black swan.

Jeremy Blackman

I can't really dislike Black Swan, but you're right, it was a little too "on the nose."

Stefen

The story of Black Swan got on my nerves, but it's still a technical masterpiece. Attributed more to Libatique than that pretentious mustached scarf wearing mothereffer Aronofsky. Most of it seems to have been shot on 16mm so on the blu-ray, it's grainy as crap, which kind of sucks, but what can you do?

I thought The Fountain was terrible, mostly because of its scope, so I hope that's not the case with this.

I'll always watch whatever Aronskarfsky does because of the technical aspect.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Paramount, New Regency to Back Darren Aronofsky's 'Noah'
The "Black Swan" director will co-produce the big screen version of the Biblical tale.
Source: THR

After months of negotiations, Paramount and New Regency announced on Monday a deal make Noah, with Darren Aronofsky attached to direct the big-screen version of the iconic Bible tale.

Oscar-nominated screenwriter John Logan, whose credits include Gladiator and The Aviator, will re-write a script by Aronofsky and Ari Handel.

Aronofsky, nominated for the best director Oscar last year for Black Swan, will produce the movie with Scott Franklin.

"Since I was a kid, I have been moved and inspired by the story of Noah and his family's journey," Aronofsky said in a statement. "The imaginations of countless generations have sparked to this epic story of faith. It's my hope that I can present a window into Noah's passion and perseverance for the silver screen."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

I really don't know what to make of this.  The story of Noah is the most silly and cartoonish (yet somehow the most terrifying and genocidal when you actually think about it) of all the Bible stories, and I can't seem to wrap my scarf brain around what angle Aronofsky is intending to take with it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

I had trouble taking The Fountain seriously (and I guess Black Swan too), so yeah, this is just going to be ridiculous.

Neil

Of all the films this fella has made, I actually enjoy The Fountain the most. I'm sure that's likely to change at any point.

I've never seen The Wrestler, but aside from that film I've liked Pi and everything after.

I am mostly glad at the fact that a film maker that doesn't always take the safe approach gets to make large budget films.  I'm sure i would be on board with most of the criticisms that some of you may have, but his films have all worked for me.

As far as Noah goes,  I think it would be interesting for someone who is not necessarily hard up for Christianity to make a film of this subject matter.  Does the script for this exist online?

Quite a large scope for a film though imo  It's a massive tale.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

pete

I feel like while he's no Mel Gibson, the studios wouldn't exactly let him go wild either. Most of his films actually have very traditional morals - don't do drugs, have faith...etc. so I think Noah at most would be Last Temptation of Christ controversial (ie not controversial except the church gets angry anyways). I sincerely hope I'm wrong and sincerely hope he makes something interesting, story-wise.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

squints

Wonder how they'll handle THIS in the movie?

I'm sure Aronofsky will make it pivotal to the plot. There might even be an ass-to-ass scene?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

tpfkabi

Quote from: squints on October 04, 2011, 03:01:22 AM
Wonder how they'll handle THIS in the movie?

I'm sure Aronofsky will make it pivotal to the plot. There might even be an ass-to-ass scene?

Hmm, am I reading it right? I even looked at the NIV translation which is supposed to be closer to modern English.
He was mad just because his son saw him naked and then told the brothers about it, or is there more to it?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Jeremy Blackman

So basically, he got drunk and one of his sons saw him naked. He told his brothers about it, then they went to cover him up, all the while avoiding seeing him naked (presumably comically knocking into things when their eyes were closed). Noah was not upset about the blanket, or even about his youngest son seeing him naked. Noah was upset that his son went and told his brothers about it. Lesson: If you see a drunk guy naked, keep it a secret. Such is the wisdom of the Bible.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Just Withnail

To be fair, two asses fucking is sort of required by the story.

squints

Quote from: Just Withnail on October 06, 2011, 01:21:17 AM
To be fair, two asses fucking is sort of required by the story.

yes.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche