saturday night live

Started by sphinx, March 09, 2003, 05:38:36 PM

©brad

last night was surprisingly good. andy samberg as diablo cody had me on the floor.

john

I only caught the last half-hour, following Weekend Update. Everything seemed awkward and unfocused and solidified my current dislike for Ellen Page.

HOWEVER...

Wilco were fucking fabulous... I'm not even a fan of "Walken", but that was a near incredible performance.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

cinemanarchist

Wilco was fantastic but the writing on the show was terrible. I don't know if Fey wrote everything last week or if they just blew their writer's strike load on the first episode back. They need to stop all the Hillary dick-sucking too...are they just trying to seem more antiquated than they already appear?
My assholeness knows no bounds.

cine

Quote from: cinemanarchist on March 02, 2008, 03:32:59 PM
They need to stop all the Hillary dick-sucking too...are they just trying to seem more antiquated than they already appear?
haha dude are you kidding, they chewed her up in the first sketch.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Cinephile on March 02, 2008, 07:13:33 PM
They need to stop all the Hillary dick-sucking too...are they just trying to seem more antiquated than they already appear?
haha dude are you kidding, they chewed her up in the first sketch.
Not kidding. I got more of a "woe is me" vibe that was further cemented when Hillary appeared to do the live from New York bit. Perhaps I've just got a bad taste in my mouth from the Tiny Fey commentary during Weekend Update last week. Maybe my hatred of Hillary has just got me entirely too sensitive. Unfunny episode however you slice it. I did find it funny how Armisen's Obama was almost blue this week. I'm hoping for some sort of Smurf joke in the future.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

grand theft sparrow

Wilco was fantastic but the writing on the show was terrible. I don't know if Fey wrote everything last week or if they just blew their writer's strike load on the first episode back.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing about last week, which was the best episode they've had probably since Tina Fey left.  Either she came in and showed them how it's done or she made them step up their game.  Whichever one it was, it worked.  I even found Kristen Wiig funny last week.

This week was pretty bad.  I've said it before, this current writing staff can't get it together in only a week.  The digital short was the highlight and even that was one of the least funny ones they've done.  And Ellen Page is just not a comedic actor; not as bad as Peter Sarsgaard but she looked SO uncomfortable up there. 

I'm done with the show again. 

Stefen

Am I bad for thinking this current cast of SNL has the best chemistry of any cast in awhile? I'm actually enjoying this season. ALOT.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

Quote from: Stefen on March 31, 2008, 08:04:59 PM
Am I bad for thinking this current cast of SNL has the best chemistry of any cast in awhile? I'm actually enjoying this season. ALOT.

not at all. i can admit that when ive posted on here praising some previous seasons, i was being a bit generous. but this season is definitely strong.

modage

i'm only a few minutes in, but coming off the season's best episode (walken) i'm reminded of how horribly unfunny SNL can be.  thanks ashton kutcher (and cameron diaz)!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pumba

Last night was brutal. Just awful.
And really? You liked the chris walken ep? Some sketches were really funny but walken's constant reading really annoyed me. It felt like he came in on Friday and had no time to rehearse or anything...either that or he just didn't give a fuck, but yeah man i thought it was really distracting.

And the new girl will probably get fired

MacGuffin

SNL Plucks Michael Phelps Out of the Hosting Pool

Saturday Night Live is looking to make a splash this season.

The aging sketch series has tapped Olympic golden boy Michael Phelps to host its 34th-season premiere Sept. 13 on NBC, which probably wouldn't mind basking in the glow from its history-making coverage of the Beijing Games a little longer.

Aside from all the commercials and inevitable talk-show spots, this will be the first "acting" role for Phelps, whose world-record-smashing, eight-gold-medal-winning performance at the Summer Olympics made him the poster boy of U.S. swimming for generations to come and won him the hearts of millions of admiring fans.

Lil Wayne, who, appropriately enough, has also had the most successful year of his career in 2008, will be the musical guest.

Meanwhile, the MTV Video Music Awards has also capitalized on (or is helping to wear out the welcome of) the Phelps juggernaut, securing an appearance by the 23-year-old Baltimore native at the Sept. 9 kudosfest.

But considering we already know that teenage girls dig him, it's the SNL gig that will be the gangly lad's chance to prove he's more than a superhuman swimming machine with abs on which he can wash his own Speedo.

Assuming, however, that he'll leave the LAZR Racer® at home (although, if they're smart, he'll be wearing it in at least one sketch), the question remains: Can Phelps duplicate his poolside appeal while wearing everyguy gear?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Wow.  Phelps, Lil Wayne, SNL.  The unholy trifecta of things that need to burn out of the public eye immediately.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

picolas

potential surprise spoiler even though you probably saw it coming!

rumour has it tiny fey = palin. possibly tonight.

Kal

obama cancelled his appearance cause of the hurricane in texas, so that sucks. hope fey is there for real.

Kal

Quote from: picolas on September 13, 2008, 04:46:43 PM

rumour has it tiny fey = palin. possibly tonight.

anybody seen that? it was hilarious. too bad the rest of teh show with phelps sucked ass. i got bored and deleted it after the first 20 minutes, but fey and pohler as palin and hilary were genius.