Magic Mike XXL

Started by jenkins, August 31, 2014, 04:51:31 PM

jenkins

jenkins

jenkins

jenkins

This opened last night with Terminator and it warms my heart how many of my friends went to see this instead. I mean, this was the movie in the Dome, you know.

I've heard it described as beneficial that Soderbergh didn't direct. It was described to me as rowdier and more free and fun than the first. It was described me to as the closest Soderbergh has come to making, as he's always wanted to, a Richard Lester-type movie. Butyeah, Soderbergh didn't direct this, he just exec produced, shot it, and edited it. I also heard this movie described as Altman plus Astaire & Rogers plus the Marx Bros.

I heard there was public laughter for the Steve Jobs trailer that came before this. That's a side story but I'm consistently proud of LA.

Saturday I intend to see both this and Terminator, 'cause I'm like that.

polkablues

I've mostly heard this described as the movie that people who never saw the first Magic Mike assumed that movie was like.

Magic Mike had a truly surprising amount of depth and heart and character, this one seems to just be a movie about a bunch of male strippers who go around male stripping.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

There's gotta be at least one way to look at this movie beyond "those are male strippers" polka. You gotta imagine the strippers as people.

polkablues

It's way too late in my life to learn empathy now.

jenkins

facts with feelings:

✛ cried twice
✛ saw this on a sunday july 5th 12:15pm screening at a multiplex i.e. saw it casual
✛ spontaneous crowd applause happened four times
✛ plus applause at credits
✛ continuous audience laughter
✛ i lol'd three, four times, which means i found this movie hilarious
✛ terrific sequence involving molly and a forest drive
✛ the stripper convention happens on a july 4th weekend in myrtle beach
✛ the theme is believing your possibilities while you and your career age
✛ "a blessing and a curse" is used to describe a man having a too-large penis, and the likelihood of a handjob being suggested to this man
✛ the oldest man expresses the tragic beauty of his profession, says he feels beyond his time to have the family he feels he should have
✛ this is like the sandlot with strippers (sidenote), go ahead and say the sandlot is just about baseball but i think you're being ridiculous
✛ this is a movie people who like dance scenes see
✛ terrific ballroom dancing a.k.a vogue a.k.a. paris is burning
✛ the intro to jada pinkett smith's palace made me emotional
✛ j.p.smith homeruns her role
✛ j.p.smith as the emcee calls the women queens and says they should always be called queens
✛ i'll never be as beautiful as anyone in this movie, but watching this movie i felt like a queen and one just doesn't let others spoil one's fun

polkablues

That's the only review that's made me want to see this movie.