Where do you write and what do you use?

Started by Adam0199, March 19, 2003, 11:27:21 PM

Pozer

Replace Elliott Smith and tea with Sigur Ros and yoo-hoo and we had the same weekend, my friend.

polkablues

God, I feel so unwholesome.  When I write, I drink vodka.
My house, my rules, my coffee

hedwig

Quote from: JimmyGator on November 30, 2005, 07:36:11 PM
30 pages of size twelve, courier new. 

it's the best feeling. 

i bet you have 30 pages of odifjsdoifjsojweoifjsdoifjsdoifjsdoifjsoddijfosfojsdijfoisdjfoisdjfoisdjfd

Reinhold

i've started writing in train stations. i don't think that they're particularly great environments for writing. i've just been spending more time at them. i carry a new notebook now.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Link

I used to use Final Draft, but stopped (mainly out of guilt for not having purchased it).

Now I write actual scripts on Celtx
Notes on anything (Word, Sidenote, a notebook, whatever)
Sometimes with music on, but usually I get sucked into the songs.  I usually put on a taped awards ceremony (like the Oscars) with the volume low.  I guess seeing others get awards gets me jealous.
All times of day, but most productive very early in the morning.

matt35mm

Quote from: polkablues on December 01, 2005, 02:29:54 AM
God, I feel so unwholesome.  When I write, I drink vodka.
Quote from: Hedwig on December 01, 2005, 11:14:50 PM
i bet you have 30 pages of odifjsdoifjsojweoifjsdoifjsdoifjsdoifjsoddijfosfojsdijfoisdjfoisdjfoisdjfd

cowboykurtis

If anyone knows FINAL DRAFT well and could provide some insight, it'd be much appreciated -

I someone how enabled a function that shows icons for every RETURN and INDENTATION on the script - does anyone know how to disable this?
...your excuses are your own...

polkablues

Quote from: cowboykurtis on February 18, 2006, 09:58:27 PM
If anyone knows FINAL DRAFT well and could provide some insight, it'd be much appreciated -

I someone how enabled a function that shows icons for every RETURN and INDENTATION on the script - does anyone know how to disable this?

Go up to the View menu, and unclick Invisibles.

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

polkablues

socketlevel

we truly are living in post modern purgatory
the one last hit that spent you...

polkablues

Mr.

This is a cool thread and really interesting to read how everyone have their own way of writing.

When it comes to writing the actual screenplay, I´ll be in my room, since I have an iMac. But before writing the screenplay, I tend to bring a printed version of a draft or treatment with me everywhere I go, so I can sit and make notes etc, whenever I can find 10 minutes. Usually I go to a cafe and sit there for 3 hours. Sometimes looking at people will create a "But what if..?" in my head and I´m off.
When there is no more room for notes, I sit down and apply them to the screenplay and write a new draft. (Usually during the evening, since my criticizing-self is tired)
I use Celtx, since I refuse to spend 249 $ on Final Draft. I have never tried Final Draft, so Celtx is awesome as far as I´m concerned :)

What I also like to do is create a playlist with music for inspiration for whatever I´m writing on. That tends to feed my imagination and gives me a mood to write on. When writing the actually screenplay, it takes me about 5-8 minutes to get "into the movie", to get back in its world.

For notes, storyboards, free-association writing and ideas it´s a mix between a Moleskine book and notes on my desk. I have made it a routine to have a Moleskine notebook per film, so everything is in on notebook. Plus, I´m a Moleskine whore, I simply love their products and for some stupid reason I feel way more creative and cool, writing in a Moleskine.

That´s my way of doing it :)

Sleepless

How do you plot out your story?

For me, that's always where I have the most trouble. It sounds ridiculous, I know. I have no problem coming up with ideas, imagining characters, their worlds, and the stories themselves. I understand structure, and I think I'm capable enough at feeling out the correct pace and rhythm for a screenplay. But I often seem to languish in making loads of notes, imagining the script, etc, and once I get into the writing I whip through the pages. It's the detailed plotting phases which always gets me. I've tried writing a detailed treatment, and I really didn't enjoy it. I've tried the Coen approach of having as much information on paper and in my head as possible and then just trying to write the screenplay - but found that unless you're pre-2002 Coens that's really not a good idea. Typically, once I have everything more or less mapped out in my mind I'll take the index card route, but it still doesn't fill out as detailed as it should to be the launching pad for a full-on script. So what tricks or techniques does everyone else use for this phase of their writing?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.