Iron And Wine

Started by A Matter Of Chance, February 13, 2005, 09:57:26 AM

A Matter Of Chance

I am sorry if this threat gets redirected.

I've been listening to Iron & Wine a lot lately, what do you guys think of it? I didn't like that he showed up on the Garden State soundtrack... but I guess you can't win 'em all.

The song "Faded From The Winter" is a highlight for me, and for some reason it reminds me of Altman's "McCabe & Mrs. Miller."

matt35mm

I've got both his albums as well.  The Garden State thing doesn't affect me or my appreciation for Iron & Wine at all.  It wasn't even an album song on there.

"Faded From The Winter" is undoubtedly a highlight.  I think of it as a sister song to "Upward Over The Mountain."  "Faded" speaks of a father, and "Upward" speaks about a mother.  Those two stick out for me, and I think for lots of others as well.

Our Endless Numbered Days is also quite a good album, with "Fever Dream" and "Sodom, South Georgia" as highlights for me.  But there are lots of great songs on there.  The higher-fi sound works better, I think, unlike other bands where low-hi is their hook.

But yeah, Iron & Wine is great.  Great writing music, as well.

i really like Cinders and Smoke
context, context, context.

The Perineum Falcon

I love Iron & Wine!
I bought Our Endless Numbered Days based on the strength of one song, Naked As We Came.
He has two songs in In Good Company, too.
His new EP comes on on the 22nd, Woman King, or something like that.
I hear he plays electric on it.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

tpfkabi

i bought Endless Numbered Days after seeing him on Carson Daly's show playing Naked As We Came. several of the songs seem a bit too redundant. i also got Sufjan Stevens' Seven Swans around that time and I just like Sufjan a lot more. i haven't heard the first I&W album though.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ghostboy

I got into him after Tarnation, which features Naked As We Come quite prominently. The video for that song is lovely, too.

Fun fact: did you know he's a cinematography teacher when he's not a musician?

matt35mm

I knew that he initially wanted to be a filmmaker, yes.  I think I probably heard that he taught as well, but I didn't know if he was still doing that or not.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: matt35mmI knew that he initially wanted to be a filmmaker, yes.  I think I probably heard that he taught as well, but I didn't know if he was still doing that or not.
I think he did quit, wants to quit, or is planning on quitting the teaching thing.
It's amazing that the music was only a hobby of his.
I believe he does all his own music videos, if I'm not mistaken.

His tour schedule's being released and it looks like I might be seeing him in Atlanta! :)
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

tpfkabi

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/i/iron-and-wine/woman-king.shtml

well, pitchfork gave the new ep a good review

(if that means anything to you)
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: A Matter Of ChanceI am sorry if this threat gets redirected.

Now that's Freudian.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Reinhold

i'm a big fan... i have all of their cd's and ep's.

Woman King is the type of album that I don't mind having every song stuck in my head. and that happens with some regularity.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

life_boy

I bought The Creek Drank the Cradle a few months back and have been listening to it steadily.  I knew I liked the album when I first listened to it..."Lion's Mane" and "Faded From the Winter" were two songs that really pulled me in.  They were so beautifully written.  At the time, the rest of the album just blurred together in my mind.  Now, however, I have grown quite fond of the entire album, an intimate epic of life and relationships, told through the ache and texture of Sam Beam's voice and minimal production.

Do his hands in your hair
feel a lot like a thing
you believe in
or a bit like a bird
stealing bread
out from under your nose

Simply on the strength of lyrics like that, I am excited to see what Sam Beam has planned for Iron & Wine.  Creek has been enjoyable and I feel I have digested that enough to tackle Our Endless Numbered Days.  I know he takes a different approach in terms of production and instrumentation...I look forward to hearing the results.  (I imagine the EP's are nice as well.)

has in the reins leaked? if so , where?

meatwad

Quote from: cronopiohas in the reins leaked? if so , where?

here you go, buddy

http://jacob.tacomat.com/temp/