Robocop (2014)

Started by MacGuffin, July 10, 2008, 01:39:04 PM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

i have a feeling that the theatre experience of this film is going to be half equal to the first theatre experience of the dark knight. which is really good.

Mel

After seeing trailers I was sure I would skip "Robocop". This interview changed a lot. Padilha is so passionate about the project, to the point that it is infectious. Just keep in mind that interview is heavy on spoilers - some scenes are described very visually. I enjoyed this conversation a lot - if selling "Robocop" was a goal, Jose succeeded.

Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Kal

This wasn't very good...

SPOILERS

I don't know why they have to make every movie so damn political. Sam Jackson's role in this is just stupid.

Why was Michael K. Williams in this? At first I was thrilled to see he was Lewis. Then he doesn't do anything in the entire movie. He never helps him. They never have a real conversation. He is completely irrelevant.

Same with Jay Baruchel. What did he do other than say stupid shit? There was no clear marketing around Robocop, or an interview, or something important that he organized to contribute.

I got the sense that there were so many of these stupid characters, too much emphasis on the political situation and for OmniCorp to get their business, and not enough meat for Robocop. The first one is all about him and there are some awesome scenes. Here the only good one is when he goes after the dudes that did that to him, and even that seems short and lame.

Anyways, very disappointing in general. It's well done but the original one is 100 times better.

QuoteWhy was Michael K. Williams in this?

the same reason he was in that other horrible movie for like two seconds, he has been typecast as dying black dude? (i have not seen this movie.)

Lottery

Not awful. For better or worse, it's not trying to be the original.

Action scenes weren't as engaging as one would hope. Gaz Oldman got half the screentime which was good. Needed a bit more black comedy. Final major conflict of the film arises in a non-typical way.

It was alright.

jenkins

top shelf trash culture

you know those scenes when his head and lungs then that scene with brain tinkering -- those are the dreams of children. marvelous movie

really stupendous

jenkins

omfg i now remember that i've seen this movie. i completely forgot until this^ helpful reminder

^how i feel and a photo i took of my tv during rocky ii. imdb trivia for rocky balboa spoiled a part of rocky iv for me, btw. i was angry, very

^felt that way and i wanted to write imdb a stormy letter, except i don't know about the actual people who run imdb, and stormy letters always make me think of greenberg

Mel

Quote from: jenkins<3 on June 12, 2014, 04:25:26 AM
omfg i now remember that i've seen this movie. i completely forgot until this^ helpful reminder

That is the main problem with "Robocop". It is very hard to anchor emotionally to anything. Characters are muddied and lack strong personality. Should I care them for them? I didn't and that makes a forgettable film.   
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

jenkins

forgetting i watched the robocop remake was a bizarre moment that lasted since the day i saw the movie i think. last weekend i was at target while a friend was buying the $15 back to the future trilogy bluray, and the robocop remake was on sale for $13, and i said something like "i want to buy this movie but what if i don't like it?" i said that. i'd seen the movie

rewinding the tape, what appears to have happened is

what you described mel. of course i agree

i saw it in a block of movie watching. but that's never made me completely forgot i saw a movie

what i wanted the movie to be and thought the movie could be hovered over the actual movie, including after i saw the movie, during which period my continued idea about what the movie could be was overall unrelated to its actual existence. this seems like my "personal learning moment"