Lost in Translation

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, September 07, 2003, 11:51:23 PM

Ghostboy

I saw it again this evening and it was as beautiful as I remember it being. I had a huge lump in my throat during the last fifteen minutes...I love this movie so much.

No need to backlash against SoNowThen...he may be in the minority, but he's not alone. Everything affects everyone differently.

modage

Quote from: GhostboyNo need to backlash against SoNowThen...he may be in the minority, but he's not alone. Everything affects everyone differently.

didnt mean backlash against sonowthen. i meant backlash against lost in translation.  the huge gobs of praise heaped on it so early means by the time people are now seeing it with raised expectations more and more of them are going to be disappointed.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

spoils

really really thought it was great. it's amazing how much history Coppola can convey over the course of, say, 15 minutes. i felt like i had actually spent the night there with them. i liked the sound a lot as well..

one thing, though. i felt kind of... used at the end.. when there was that unhearable dialogue that was supposed to close the relationship... it evoked what it was trying to evoke in me, but at the same time.. i thought it was taking the easy way out.

anyway. still brilliant.

Gamblour.

The best part of the movie was the opening shot of Scarlett Johansen's (sp) beautiful ass, holy shit.
WWPTAD?

Raikus

SPOILERS
Quote from: picolasone thing, though. i felt kind of... used at the end.. when there was that unhearable dialogue that was supposed to close the relationship... it evoked what it was trying to evoke in me, but at the same time.. i thought it was taking the easy way out.
I thought that was perfectly fitting. The whole movie is a chance to see this beautiful relationship between two people. During the whole thing we're experiencing exactly what they are. Therefore, when he does whisper his inaudible goodbyes to her it's something special for them. Something that they only share. We, as an audience, got to see so much. It only seems fair that the two characters would be able to experience one moment that was strickly kept to themselves.

That one thing, to me, made the move infinitely better.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Teen Wolf

I loved that moment. I think what really brought it home for me was seeing Scarlett Johansson's reaction to whatever it was he said. Now that's acting.

Alethia

god damn it this movie needs to start playing near me.

MacGuffin

This film, especially the first act, really captured loneliness. The shots of Charlotte sitting on the window sill with the city behind her coveyed her feeling of how small you are. It said so much without dialogue. I also loved the simple scenes of Charlotte calling her friend and Bob's calls to his wife. They just summed up where their lives are at. But when they come together, the chemistry between Murray and Johansson 'translated' to us. You could sense their genuine happiness of wanting to be with one another. Coppola made you feel you were a tourist with these two.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

EXACTLY
that's what I loved so much about this movie
the camera was along with them
it really did feel like we were hanging out with the two
when Bill Murray hit that drive, I felt like I was waiting to go next
so genuine

Myxo

I absolutely adore this movie. Saw it this past weekend.

That pretty well sums it up.

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones
Quote from: GhostboyKinda redirect: http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1231&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Murray isn't going for funny or weird. He's acting here, not mugging, and it's his best performance to date. The movie is brilliant on so many levels, and I don't think Francis or Spike had anything to do with it. It's all Sofia and her cast.

sofia is a airhead and this is a known fact and bill more or less is playing himself like a said a well known frustrated actor in his 50's who makes ironic jokes " were here for a prison break"

do you know sofias track record

actress-failed
model-failed
tv show host-failed
designer-failed

yet some how she has become the directer dejour, im not buying it

im sure she had plenty of input in the film, and that would be all the shitty stuff

and if you dont think her dad and husband wouldnt effect her film your hopped up on the goofballs

fiona affected magnolia, the peeing scene was something she went through

i can on many if not most films are affected by your close people and it helps to have spike jonze and francis ford coppola around

2 questions:

1) when did she ever try and host a talk show? I didn't know that

2) Where did you read/hear she's an airhead? I've read only stuff about how smart she is.

Sleuth

Haha, he won't be responding anymore, sorry.  

It's for the best though
I like to hug dogs

EL__SCORCHO

then do you know about that talk show she tried to host? the name? any info?

Sleuth

No, I don't know anything, I don't even know why I'm on this site

Maybe Macguffin can help
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Quote from: tremoloslothNo, I don't know anything, I don't even know why I'm on this site

Maybe Macguffin can help

First, you were here only to ruin threads and were awarded the appropriate title. And because of that, you made xixax your start page. But now you have since lost that title, but you can't figure out how to rid your computer of this site at start-up, hence being your still being here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks