The Rules of Attraction

Started by aclockworkjj, July 28, 2003, 09:18:31 AM

aclockworkjj

I am sure this has probably been mentioned somewhere, but I couldn't find it off the top...

Rented this last night....although Dawson as a badass is not believable to me, I kinda found myself enjoying this flick....more so for the camera tricks though.  The spilt screen shot (in the school) that slowly turns and becomes the same same frame...is simply amazing....the play on time seems to work for this as well....not to mentiion it just reminded me way too much of some of the dipshits I knew in college too...and that made me laugh.

I dunno, there was a lot of little eye candy in this...not too bad for a $1.99 5-day rental....(Jessica Biel dancing around in her undies alone worth the price of admission)

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinhttp://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=563

I am starting to begin to think that the search function only works for Mac.....I could just not be using it right too....oh well.

Rudie Obias

this movie is really fuckin' bad!  the split screen effects are so pointless and annoying.  the split screen conversation was a cool trick until she took his sunglasses off and then when the picture came back toegther we find out that they are like 10 feet away from each other.  are we to believe that she has some sort of extendo-arm?  roger avery is a fuckin' hack and officially fuckin' hate him as a writer and a director.  he now joins the ranks (for me) of other horrible directors like bryan singer, guy ritchie and joel schumacher.  this movie is simply a pointless, all style and no substance piece of shit!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Cecil

Quote from: rudieobthe split screen conversation was a cool trick until she took his sunglasses off and then when the picture came back toegther we find out that they are like 10 feet away from each other

yeah that always pissed me off too.

you didnt like pulp fiction?

Pedro

Quote from: rudieobthis movie is really fuckin' bad!  the split screen effects are so pointless and annoying.  the split screen conversation was a cool trick until she took his sunglasses off and then when the picture came back toegther we find out that they are like 10 feet away from each other.  are we to believe that she has some sort of extendo-arm?  roger avery is a fuckin' hack and officially fuckin' hate him as a writer and a director.  he now joins the ranks (for me) of other horrible directors like bryan singer, guy ritchie and joel schumacher.  this movie is simply a pointless, all style and no substance piece of shit!
Fuck dude...I hated RoA too...but jesus....take a valium....

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Cecil B. Demented
Quote from: rudieobthe split screen conversation was a cool trick until she took his sunglasses off and then when the picture came back toegther we find out that they are like 10 feet away from each other

yeah that always pissed me off too.

you didnt like pulp fiction?

of course i love PULP FICTION but i really attribute that film to quentin tarantino and not roger avery.  like i said, he's a fuckin' hack!!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

cinemanarchist

Avary may be a hack but at least he stays in fairly constant contact with fans...

www.avary.com/rogeravary/journal/journal.php

I can't think of any director that does that...One can only imagine how apeshit all of us would go if PTA posted here...at least Brett Easton Ellis enjoys ROA...he claims it is his favorite adaptation of his work and has watched it several times, which he never does.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

snaporaz

Quote from: rudieobof course i love PULP FICTION but i really attribute that film to quentin tarantino and not roger avery.  like i said, he's a fuckin' hack!!!

please explain. besides the fact that they worked with eachother.

Cecil

and if you email him, hell write back (provided you ask him an intelligent question of course)

markums2k

The other day, I was watching the commentary on my beloved Hard Boiled DVD (Criterion Edition), and I forgot Avery was on there.  Doesn't really contribute to anything... it's very odd, really.

Anyways, Rules of Attraction was fairly sucky.  It tries sooo hard to be edgy and shocking... tricky camera effects, gay stuff, suicide stuff, hip college stuff, drinking stuff, drug stuff, sex stuff, vomit stuff, freeze frames, voice-overs... firing on all cylinders, I suppose.  :roll:

Pulp Fiction it ain't.

MacGuffin

Quote from: markums2kThe other day, I was watching the commentary on my beloved Hard Boiled DVD (Criterion Edition), and I forgot Avery was on there.  Doesn't really contribute to anything... it's very odd, really.

Admit it, you just put this sentence in just to boast that you have the OOP DVD.

I have it too.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

markums2k

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: markums2kThe other day, I was watching the commentary on my beloved Hard Boiled DVD (Criterion Edition), and I forgot Avery was on there.  Doesn't really contribute to anything... it's very odd, really.

Admit it, you just put this sentence in just to boast that you have the OOP DVD.

I have it too.

:-D   We should start a club.

snaporaz

Quote from: markums2kPulp Fiction it ain't.

goddamn right it ain't. they're hardly fucking comparable.

why does everyone keep trying to compare the two, like the rules of attraction is somehow tarantino's brainchild?

imbeciles.

filmcritic

It can't decide what it wants to be.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert