Dawsons Creek

Started by Bruce Lee, May 11, 2004, 08:21:27 PM

Bruce Lee

Not really used to be into it. Until now, started watching all the episodes from series one on E4......and every night i really look forward to it.

NEON MERCURY

aw, ....is this the softer side of bruce lee?

MacGuffin

I was a fan of the show, but I lost a personal connection (although I still kept watching) when Kevin Williamson left and the characters went to college. But it was like watching my life played out every week since I really identified with Dawson (the Spielberg worship, the female best friend, etc.).

Trivia: Mike White was a writer on the show.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Like Mac, I really enjoyed this show back in season one when it was ... good.  It kept getting worse and worse as the seasons went on, though.  And it became really unwatchable at the end.  Seasons two, three, and four all had their moments, though.  I really like how it's in syndication on TBS now.  I was able to catch a few episodes last week when I was on break: the series finale, and some new episodes from season one.  Seeing season one again really makes me want to get the DVD set, as well as the DVDs from the seasons that were good.

The great thing about it back then was it showed promise, had great dialogue (if a bit lofty for kids their age), communicated movie love well, and showed Kevin Williamson's talent (even if he hasn't really realized it since).  The mystery drama with Eddie Cahill was decent, but nothing great, and cancelled quickly.

The more I see shows like this, and shows that try to emulate it (successfully or unsuccessfully), the more I'd like to make a show like this.  Teen dramas done well are so few and far between.  Dawson's Creek was a bit over-the-top with some of the storylines, but had its heart in the right place in the first season.  My So-Called Life was perfect, and therefore cancelled; likewise with Freaks and Geeks.

Thrindle

Quote from: OnomatopitaDawson's Creek was a bit over-the-top with some of the storylines.

Oh come on, the Pacey and Teacher tryst was so great!  I'm a pervert, the older teacher thing was awesome in my 15 year old world.
Classic.

ono

Haha.  Funny, that was pretty much the same storyline I was thinking of when I said it.  And yeah, I guess there are some people who have those fantasies about teachers, so it isn't that farfetched.