Anyone seen any good shows lately?

Started by smash, September 21, 2004, 12:48:39 AM

hedwig

CAT POWER

first time. so great! the entire evening was grand. chan marshall is the perfect human. the band kicked ass. 'Fortunate Son' made my heart sing.

&

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs @ The Greek. One God Damn Hellava Show, Eli! Heard they put on great shows and this didn't disappoint. Karen O is one rockin', sexy bitch. Such raw energy. Upbeat throughout, but also did an awesome acoustic version of Maps. Also, the stage looked like the dream sequence from Spellbound, so points for that.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

Grizzhouse and BeachBear in one week. woo-ha i'm pumped.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Those very well could be actual indie band names.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

RegularKarate

So, the ACL festival was this weekend and because of a number of factors (including the weakest lineup they've had in a long time), I decided not to go this year.  But I did catch a couple shows that came through because of the festival.

The first was Broken Social Scene.  The best thing about this show was that it was a free show put on at an old power plant here in Austin.  It's a really cool building and they lit it up real fancy.  It looked great and BSS was really great despite being stripped down (for them).

That would have been the highlight of the weekend, but I also just got back from seeing Bon Iver.
I'm not exaggerating when I say that was one of the best... if not THE best concert I've ever seen. 
Because of some luck (and a friend who works for the ticket processor, I was able to get front-row center tickets at the paramount (which is a great venue for this type of show... amazing acoustics).  I'm sure that played a small part in how much I enjoyed the show, but it really was the band.
I kept wanting to pull out my iPhone to video some of it just to prove how amazing they were, but I couldn't bring myself to put anything between me and the band.  Unbelievable.  Seriously... even if you only kind of like this band, if you get a chance, see them live.

72teeth

anyone else go to the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival this past weekend? It was amazing!
highlights:

Steve Martin,
Aimee Mann,
Billy Bragg,
Galactic,
Robert Earl Keen,
Dr. Dog,
Emmylou Harris and Robert Plant!

i plan on going to this thing every year from here on out...

also, Dr. Dog rocked the shit so hard that i ended up driving to Santa Cruz to check them out again last nite with Jeffery Lewis... i recommend that no one pass up one of their shows, awesome band.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

john

Quote from: 72teeth on October 07, 2009, 01:39:14 AM
anyone else go to the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival this past weekend? .

Yep. Missed some of the artists you mentioned, but caught Okkervil River, Old 97's, Nick Lowe, Gillian Welch/David Rawlings, Robyn Hitchcock, Billy Bragg, Aimee Mann, and Neko Case.

Pretty fun sets by everyone. Welch brought out Old Crow Medicine Show and Emmylou Harris for a cover of "The Weight", 97's did a couple duets with Jon Langford and Exene Cervenka.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

samsong

anyone in LA need a ticket to the pixies?  i have one for the first show (11/4) but i can't go anymore.  $65.  let me know.

MacGuffin

U2 at the Rose Bowl. Pretty awesome. Didn't blow me away or leave quite the impression that the Zoo TV tour did (the last time I saw them), but they still make the concert interactive and make a huge venue seem intimate.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

Just saw Why? and Serengeti and Polyphonic in Texas a few hours ago. Just got back (its 5am) felt like i had to share with someone. My bandmate sent me with the mission to document all the equipment and sound techniques they were using and strangely enough i got more out of serengeti than i did why. Why has turned into this badass rock band. much different than when i saw them 3 years ago. Still a rocking, badass, awesome show...

Gamblour.

Saw Dirty Projectors on Saturday. They were incredible. They sound so much better live than on the cd, and when considering how technically difficult some of their music is, it's just amazing to watch. The only annoying thing: hipsters who think they can sing along. Not to this, girls. Not to this.
WWPTAD?

Stefen

I have a big crush on the girls in Dirty Projectors. They're so fucking adorable.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Random Thoughts:
I saw them open for Jarvis Cocker a few years ago and thought they were one of the most obnoxious bands I'd ever seen.
At that same show one of the girls in the band threw her beer at a jock heckling them.  
I like the new album okay but when I saw them open for TV On The Radio a few months ago still thought they sounded pretty bad.  
Stillness is The Move was really underwhelming live.  
The touring singer looks like Rose Byrne.
When I was jamming with some dudez in Brooklyn last year I saw the DP's on the street because their practice space was prob near ours.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.