Anyone seen any good shows lately?

Started by smash, September 21, 2004, 12:48:39 AM

MacGuffin

Quote from: SiliasRuby on June 09, 2009, 01:14:40 PM
Sorry....

You need to apologize to Ms. Haines for relating a fetching pixie poet like her to a old leather-skinned witch's vagina with a fake Brit accent.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

to be fair, he said "a YOUNG Madonna"... young Madonna is (sorry) way hotter.

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Quote from: RegularKarate on June 09, 2009, 04:14:42 PM
to be fair, he said "a YOUNG Madonna"...

Quote from: Madonna is a stupid bitch on June 09, 2009, 04:11:45 PMYou need to apologize to Ms. Haines for relating a fetching pixie poet like her to a old young pleather-skinned witch's vagina with a fake Brit New York accent.

Fixed.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Quote from: bigideas on June 09, 2009, 11:11:00 AM
oh, and i did get to see a local Eisley acoustic show with Max Bemis of Say Anything as well (he's married to one of them).

someone else here knows their music but i don't recall who.

:waving:
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

saw Leonard Cohen last month. played for 3 hours, 15 mins. incredible show.

samsong

seeing okkervil river open for wilco (!!!) on the 25th at the wiltern.

Jeremy Blackman

I went to this tonight, and it was amazing.

It went like this. Solid Gold at 4:30. Local band, sort of has a dark electronic/psychadelic feel, good melodies. I listened to their album a few times. They were pretty good live. Yeasayer was next at 5:45. I liked them more than I expected to. Very odd band with some fascinating instrumentation, but I can only get into a few of their songs. Calexico was next at 7:00. Not a big fan, but I loved the trumpets/cornets (and not much else). Their music is conventional mariachi/western stuff. Nothing too exciting. The frontman being embarassingly full of himself did not help. He did these "I'm the man" hand gestures and quasi-dance moves. He also tried to do several call/response bits with the crowd, all of which failed thoroughly. Solid Gold and Yeasayer were much better.

Then, at 8:30, as dusk begins to descend on Minneapolis, The Decemberists start a full contiguous performance of The Hazards of Love. Let me tell you, they have come a long long way since Austin. They are precise and have a metric crapton of energy. The vocal performances are album-quality. I think it helped that the sound engineering was pretty much perfect throughout the day. Everything was very well balanced. (I should have yelled some compliments at the sound guy since I was standing next to the sound tent, but I didn't want to distract him, and I'm not good at yelling.) The mics were good, which was not the case at SXSW. Possibly the biggest difference, however, was Chris Funk's electric guitar playing. At SXSW, he was shy, and his guitar was awkwardly quiet. Tonight, he was playing like a rock star. He has seriously developed some skill with that instrument. During some of the noisy parts, he was clawing at the guitar like a madman, creating some seriously unique sounds. The songs rocked more than they do on the album, which was entirely appropriate for the live context. It's like they spread a delicious layer of rock-flavored jelly on top of, well, everything except "Isn't It a Lovely Night." The chemistry between the crowd and the band was remarkable throughout. It became obvious that the vast majority of the audience was there for the Decemberists. After Hazards, they did a half hour of old songs including a crowd participation piece that totally worked. They ended with a rocking Shara Worden / Becky Stark duet of "Crazy On You." (Yes, really.) The classic rock power vocals are to be expected from Shara Worden, but I had no idea Becky Stark could sing like that. The whole thing blew me away. Rock The Garden is supposed to be a 4-band package, but at the end of the night it felt like 3 bands had opened for the Decemberists. They stole the show in a more show-stealing fashion than I thought was possible.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ghostboy

Quote from: samsong on June 20, 2009, 04:08:21 PM

I'm gonna be at this one too. Can't wait!

RegularKarate

Quote from: samsong on June 20, 2009, 04:08:21 PM

My wife and I pegged this as a dream show years ago.  What a perfect pairing.
Wish it was somewhere closer.  Missed the Austin City Limits taping too.

modage

when your wife pegged it, wilco were probably still good though.  :yabbse-undecided:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.