Christian Analysis of Magnolia

Started by Squeo, December 16, 2003, 09:34:31 PM

Squeo

I often check out the recent reviews on CAP Alert for some good laughs and to see just how much they despise movies of late.

However, I was looking through the Magnolia review, and look at one part hidden inside of the hate-filled review!

QuoteAnd, yes, there was nudity and intecourse.  The whole of the story is much more complex than this and is, in its own way, a masterpiece of theatrical art. However, the "art" status of this film was totally smothered by the vulgarities, profanities, and other portrayals of sinful behavior with no more concern that getting a popcorn shell stuck in your gums.

It appears that this man is a PTA fan deep down inside!

Alethia

Jeremy Blackman

How ridiculous is it to assume that art must be "clean"?

Squeo

Yeah, many of the movies that they give the lowest scores to have really quite moral messages that even they would approve of, if they would just put their scorebooks away and actually WATCH the movie.

SoNowThen

WE'RE NOT ALL LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To get some truthful message across of the world, I prefer an R rated minimum. Hence my Scorsese and PTA worship.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

swimmingly

:lol:

Oh my god, that website always cracks me up.

Are these people for real???

analogzombie

I think they are.

the tallies for Magnolia include gems like:
-lies to police officer
and
-adult in underwear

but I love the tallies for Jeepers Creepers 2 even more:
-public urination
-sounds of eating a boy's head
-graphic display of decapitaped head replacing demon's head
-several demon attacks with extended sight of demon's face and body
-knife implement by demon
and the best of all....
-lying about smokin

well i was gonna let my kids see it, I mean the demon head eating thing doesn't bother me, but the lyiong about smoking!!! No way they'll see it now.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

tpfkabi

my mother gave me a book this christmas. it's something about finding spirituality in films. i've scanned so far and i believe he is a christian. he also has a several page review of Magnolia and says it's his second favorite film
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: bigideas... he also has a several page review of Magnolia and says it's his second favorite film

What's his FIRST favorite film then???????

smash

Quote from: bigideasmy mother gave me a book this christmas. it's something about finding spirituality in films. i've scanned so far and i believe he is a christian. he also has a several page review of Magnolia and says it's his second favorite film
Yeah, I got this same book.  He actually knows whats going on.

Here's a great quote from the book on pg241, "A friend of my once said that church people tend to be more offended by the use of the "F" word than they are by the death of children by avoidable malnutrition.  Maybe we can get the f--- beyond that.  But maybe the fact that I can't even quote the f-word in full in this book because some bookshops won't sell it is evidence for my pessimism."

Its much better than I previously expected from a Christian book on movies.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: PChristians are underrated.

.TRUE.....FYI ...the agnostic/aethiest..outlook is such a typical rebellious  high school outlook............ :roll:

Alethia

my outlook is one of ignorance kind of.  and how is the whole aetheist/agnostic thing a typical high school outlook?  i choose not to "believe" anything...given that we know nothing for definite, i dont base my life on anything like that.  those who can and do, i envy, cuz im sure its a very good thing to have, but i dont think i ever truthfully could be like that....

Pubrick

neon is talking about the whole "i'm so cool, i hate God, i don't believe in it, but i hate it anyway."

and ur right, we dont' know anything for definite. except a few things..
under the paving stones.

ono

Quote from: Pand ur right, we dont' know anything for definite. except a few things..
Are you sure about that?