You Are Your Body / You Are Not Your Body

Started by matt35mm, May 16, 2013, 05:27:41 PM

wilder

I'm in, looking forward to the final thing. I remember getting into the beginning of a discussion with you about blocking and shot structure a long while back -- it's been interesting to see how your staging has evolved in all of the projects you've developed since then. Wishing you luck with the final stretch!

matt35mm

Thanks! It means a lot to have your support!

----------------

Quoting myself to make sure more people see the post:

Quote from: matt35mm on September 04, 2013, 10:01:04 PM
We have just launched our Kickstarter campaign. We have a video in which I murder somebody.

http://kck.st/14lbkfn

If you feel like contributing to it or sharing the link, I certainly would not mind, and if not, that's fine, too. That's how these things work, right? You can also "like" the movie's Facebook page at www.facebook.com/areyouyourbody as a way to stay updated on any news.

Just Withnail

That campaign-video is hilarious. I'm also getting more and more into the trailer every time I watch it.

jenkins

<33. approve the handling of the watermelon dilemma

tangent: my guess is we'd be irl friends who like talking with each other and things like that. soon enough (accepted, now the date is being triggered) i'll have a short to share via nobudge, and i look forward to sharing it with you and other people here

topic: http://kck.st/14lbkfn
do it for matt

matt35mm

Looking forward to seeing your movie, tcmj!

I'm noting that a lot of people are telling me that they get more and more into the trailer each time they see it. That's interesting to me, and I guess... a good thing?

jenkins

good thing, yes. as an artist you're seeking a creation that echoes your perceptions, and because those perceptions differ from the established, you're met by the human tradition of perplexity for newness. i myself demonstrated this perplexity. then i watched the trailer again and understood you better. what was missing on the first go? it actually wasn't you that was missing, it was me. i expected something else and saw what was there when i went again

ono offered helpful trailer advice because his angle of vision was marketing and he keyed into that aspect. there are things you'll learn and grow as you develop as an artist, but i think you already have the essential components. you got it matt, already. i mean it. there's simply an overlap between the art, the predetermined concept of the art, and your execution. i relate to this in both a personal and professional sense. i want you and your feelings to know -- all those things change. all of them

whenever i worry too much i remember what reygadas said. i quoted this in his post tenebras lux thread because i cherish it:

QuotePeople asked me today how can you have the [nerve] to do something like that, and I said, I know that if I like it, there will be some other people who like it. In the time of the Greeks, Seneca said, the better a piece of art, the more rejection it will receive in its moment — that's a social law.

topic: http://kck.st/14lbkfn
do it for matt

ElPandaRoyal

So, I was completely unaware of this thread and just took 10 minutes of my work time (I didn't even have a render excuse this time around) to read these pages and watch the trailer and I have to say: pretty good job of enticing my curiosity. I want to see this, the trailer has the kind of intensity that makes me curious and the change of tone really worked in a sort of emotional crescendo.

I'll certainly try and work my budget to help with the financing. Very proud of these Xixax members who are actually making it happen. I really must take some time of my TV editing stuff and use the means at my disposal to try and make something interesting. But more than an inspiration, these Xixax member's projects seem very very good on their own. Well done Matt!
Si

matt35mm

Thank you! Any amount that you can contribute would be helpful.

And yes, get out there and start making some stuff! There was a while where I didn't make anything, and was very frustrated... the only way I got out of that was to decide to just start something really small, so I made a short film in a week (after not having made anything for 2 years), and it started up some momentum that I've been riding ever since. So much of it is about momentum, for me anyway.

ElPandaRoyal

That's true. I remember when I was in school we had to do quite a lot of short films and whatnot and the ideas used to come quite fluently. Now they don't, but I think it's mostly because of that lack of habit. Need to get that momentum back.
Si

Just Withnail

I've also found that the more things I have going simultaneously the easier ideas come. And when I'm bored or disillusioned with one thing I can jump to another.

matt35mm

Also, a big part of that momentum comes from sucking other people into your orbit, which happens with every project. You're asking people for favors, you're working closely with your collaborators and their friends become your friends, and then on top of that, people might see one of your movies and want to be involved with the next one.

While writing/directing a movie can sometimes feel very lonely, you are, in fact, not doing it alone. That element of "other people" is everything.

Frederico Fellini

Quote from: matt35mm on September 11, 2013, 11:31:34 AM
Also, a big part of that momentum comes from sucking other people into your orbit, which happens with every project. You're asking people for favors, you're working closely with your collaborators and their friends become your friends, and then on top of that, people might see one of your movies and want to be involved with the next one.

While writing/directing a movie can sometimes feel very lonely, you are, in fact, not doing it alone. That element of "other people" is everything.

I find that stuff like this is what I learn the most from.

Hey Matt, can you do a thing where you give some tips for people doing their first short?  Sure there's millions of tips out there on the subject, but I feel you would give a first person view that's more honest and straight to the point. Maybe not so much about the technical side but more like what I quoted up there. Stuff that's kinda intangible and left unsaid but at the same time is pretty important.

The two biggest things holding me back right now are the "money" aspect and the "getting people to work in your movie" aspect. If you could give some pointers on that it would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

P.S:  Good job on the short.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

matt35mm

Freddie, I'll do that soon.

To anyone who is intending to contribute at some point, but are waiting for a paycheck or something like that, I want to explain one of the potentially confusing things about Kickstarter:

Kickstarter works on a pledge system. You pledge now, but all the money is collected after the campaign is over (in our case, Oct. 6th, the day after our final day). This is important to know for two reasons: 1. waiting for payday or something like that is not much of a factor because you won't be charged anything when you pledge. 2. if you DO pledge, it's good to know that you'll be able to afford having that amount charged to your debit/credit card on Oct. 6th.

Of course, you're charged nothing if we don't make our goal.

I'm mentioning this now because we're losing momentum, and if you're intending to donate, I'd like to ask that you pledge today or soon, as that will help keep my and my cast/crew's spirits up, and will make no difference to you as far as when you're actually charged that money. Also, I happen to be having a shitty day personally, exacerbated by the fact that we've had no contributions so far today, and getting a few backers at any contribution level would really cheer me up. Thanks.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/matt35mm/you-are-your-body-you-are-not-your-body-feature-fi

matt35mm

Good news! On Tuesday, we were indieWIRE's Project of the Day, which made us eligible to be voted as Project of the Week. Well, voting for that is NOW LIVE: http://www.indiewire.com/article/vote-for-project-of-the-week-will-it-be-generation-body-edit-or-pepper

If we win this, we will get a consultation with SnagFilms, the digital distribution company that owns indieWIRE, and we will also become eligible for Project of the Month, which would net us a creative consultation with the Tribeca Film Institute! THAT would be fantastic!

Please vote, please share and urge your friends to check us out! THANK YOU!

ono

Congrats!  So how did you even get sniffed out by indieWIRE in the first place?