About to make a movie...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, September 09, 2004, 08:04:43 PM

Reinhold

i spent this week warming up with my camera, but the true test is getting it developed, which i won't have time to do before this week.

we'll also be using a tripod on the shoot, so i'll have slightly less to think about without it on my shoulder. i have a good eye for estimating depth and focus but am not too proud to use tape measures and charts. that does help.

i'm using kodak plus-X reversal stock. it's known for deep blacks but isn't very forgiving with bright areas. i have a spot meter in addition to the incidental meter to check the levels on bright articles of clothing. reversal in general isn't rumored to be as forgiving as negative film with variable levels within the frame, so i thought the spot meter was a good foresight.

this is my first-ever film on film attempt. they don't give cinema studies students here access to cameras or cutting equipment, so i bought my own and am teaching myself from scratch. even fucking up will be valuable in this project-- it's only a learning exercise.

and even if it was vitally important to some other area of my life, it's such a small project that i can reshoot, learning from my mistakes. right now, the only thing really holding me back is the lack of practical experience. there's only so much that reading the manuals and doing dry runs can do.

edit: one area in which i would like specific advice is using changing bags. i have a roll of ancient ekachrome stock that i bought for the purpose of screwing around for a few bucks on eBay. i can practice some with that, but any tips or particularly successful techniques would be great.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pubrick

Quote from: Xidentity Crixax on April 12, 2006, 12:42:17 AM
edit: one area in which i would like specific advice is using changing bags. i have a roll of ancient ekachrome stock that i bought for the purpose of screwing around for a few bucks on eBay. i can practice some with that, but any tips or particularly successful techniques would be great.
have someone show you how to do it. that is one thing that if you read about it you'll only be confused.
under the paving stones.

Redlum

Definately.

Also if you can, load up a second mag before you go out. If you dont need to reload on loaction you might not need to use the bag. If you can find a blacked out room to use at home. That way you can really lay everything out really nicely and not feel claustrophobic!

I doubt you have time now but the Camera Asistants Manual by focal press was a real help to me.

Good luck.

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

killafilm

Quote from: Xidentity Crixax on April 12, 2006, 12:42:17 AM
i have a good eye for estimating depth and focus but am not too proud to use tape measures and charts.

I'm using Kodak plus-X reversal stock. it's known for deep blacks but isn't very forgiving with bright areas. i have a spot meter in addition to the incidental meter to check the levels on bright articles of clothing. reversal in general isn't rumored to be as forgiving as negative film with variable levels within the frame, so i thought the spot meter was a good foresight.

Always use a tape measure.  I'd guess you already know this but def. check out http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/Be/tech7265.HTML?id=0.1.4.4.10.10.4&LC=en

If you can get a hold of a Greycard you should.  When using the spot meter remember to be close to the lens.  And if you are using filters find out their filter factor and adjust the exposure accordingly.

Reinhold

i have an 18% grey card.

we got the locations down, made a shooting schedule, re-did some storyboarding, set up a bunch of the shots and spiked the tripod locations, talked the actor through the script (we kept him fed and happy).

and then we tried to load the camera to be ready for shooting in better light tomorrow.

after more than 4 hours of messing with the fucking thing, we discovered that one of the sprockets is missing a tooth, causing the film to go off-course, jam, and eventually break or have to be ripped out. we had to call the shoot off until i can get my camera repaired.

whine.
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

killafilm

Damn that sucks.  What camera are you using?

Reinhold

Quote from: killafilm on April 13, 2006, 03:45:18 PM
Damn that sucks.  What camera are you using?

used Krasnogorsk K-3

Ghostboy

Just last month, a K-3 wasted a roll of film and a day of shooting on my most recent film. From now on, I'm renting my cameras.