how does a director get a forum

Started by lei, May 25, 2004, 10:56:08 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: soixanteI think Crowe is the weak link, he could be replaced by Woody Allen, Robert Altman or Jean-Luc Godard.  All three are highly prolific, so there is a lot to discuss about their work.  There is also the issue of longevity -- all three directors started in the 60's, and continue to make films today.  Or what about Richard Linklater?  He's ten times better than Crowe.  Dazed and Confused is a much more realistic look at high school than Fast Times or Say Anything.
hey, thanks for not reading the thread, much appreciated :yabbse-thumbup:
under the paving stones.

Alethia

Quote from: soixanteDazed and Confused is a much more realistic look at high school than ... Say Anything.

!!!!!

i mean, you're right, but your seemingly contemptuous attitude towards that wonderful film is not!!

LostEraser

I definitly think more directors should have their own forums here. Altman and Allen are great choices but also particularly some of the main foreign filmmakers like Fellini, Godard, Kurowsawa, etc. And maybe Lars Von Trier too since he seems to be pretty busy lately and the one thread of him here seems to have lots of activity in it. I'd love a Guy Maddin forum but that's asking too much.  :wink:
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra