Wolfgang Petersen

Started by Spike, May 27, 2003, 11:03:10 AM

modage

just watched Das Boot (directors cut 3 1/2 hour version tonite) and boy was it......LONG!  actually it was pretty good, and this is coming from someone who has NEVER had an interest in submarine movies, (not seen crimson tide, hunt for red october, u571, etc.) but maybe its time to lift my ban (but not my ban on bon jovi movies).  the camerawork inside the sub was really good/lively and made you feel the claustrophobia of being in there.  all the actors were good and i liked the pacing and that it wasnt all cutout characters (the drunk, the crazy guy, the weenie, etc.) that are easily identifiable in a movie that moves from mounting plot point A to B, it just sort of 'was.'  which, i can understand would be the case if it was originally a 6 hour miniseries.  SPOILER the ending killed me.  to go through all that for THAT!  i was so pissed because you just know thats the reason he made the movie. SPOILER END  the fact that they made this for $15 mil is incredible, the only places it seemed less than 100% were whenever anybody went out on the dock and got water splashed on them.  so, if you havent seen this, RECOMMENDED.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02this is coming from someone who has NEVER had an interest in submarine movies, (not seen crimson tide, hunt for red october, u571, etc.) but maybe its time to lift my ban (but not my ban on bon jovi movies).

Start here:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

..i would recomend this....its got savy actors [bruce greenwood, olivia williams, jason fleming].......and it was written by darren arophuckingnofsky who is a prodigy.........this is good sh*t....

El Duderino

"U571 meets Poltergeist?!" I'm in!
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

modage

Quote from: NEON MERCURYBELOW.
i guess i lied. i saw BELOW last year and enjoyed it.

also: had passes to K19: THE WIDOWMAKER, and went despite having made fun of the trailers, because it was free and i was bored.   :( other than that i've seen NO SUB MOVIES!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Wolfgang Petersen to Direct The Grays
Source: Unknown Country

Author Whitley Strieber's official website has revealed that Wolfgang Petersen (Troy, The Perfect Storm, Outbreak) will direct The Grays, based on the Strieber's sci-fi novel. Here is how the publisher, Tor Books, describes the book:

A triumvirate of Grays, known as the Three Thieves, has occupied a small Kentucky town for decades--abducting its residents and manipulating fates and bloodlines in hopes of creating an ultra-intelligent human being. Nine-year-old Conner Callahan will face the ultimate terror as he struggles to understand who he has been bred to be and what he must do to save humanity.

Though the Grays have slowly begun to make themselves known, Colonel Michael Wilkes, the head of a select group of government and military officials that have been monitoring the aliens, will do anything in his power to keep them a secret. Wilkes will set in motion a sinister plan to ensure the survival of humanity, but at what cost?

The fate of the human race lies with one woman, Lauren Glass. Her uncanny ability to communicate with the aliens and her relationship with the last remaining captive gray may be the only way to save humankind.

Filming should start in the next few months. The earliest possible release date is summer 2008, with the summer of 2009 more likely.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 07, 2007, 08:14:03 PM
Nine-year-old Conner Callahan will face the ultimate terror as he struggles to understand who he has been bred to be and what he must do to save humanity.

Colonel Michael Wilkes will set in motion a sinister plan to ensure the survival of humanity, but at what cost?

The fate of the human race lies with one woman, Lauren Glass. Her uncanny ability to communicate with the aliens and her relationship with the last remaining captive gray may be the only way to save humankind.

after all that, i hope humanity loses.

under the paving stones.