Is De Palma overrated ?

Started by Pas, May 20, 2003, 09:08:04 AM

Cecil

Quote from: Boothsince I almost always like the stuff Cecil B. likes. (Hey, I'm a noob, but a long time lurker :-) )

ooo a stalker. im flatered

Pas

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Ok, this didn't sound right :-) I meant that I read your musical top ten and film top ten, which were similar to mine. Nothing more.

RegularKarate

Okay... I just got off Femme Fatalle and went looking for a thread about it.

Here I am...

Good movie... terrible ending... can someone tell me how that's not the most retarded ending?  I mean serisously... it blows ass... the rest of the movie builds up to this?  You gave me all that and you're leaving me with this?  What the fuck?

So... someone, please tell me, what the fuck?  Am I missing something?

Cecil

yeah i know.... its like he tried to rip off lynch or something.

godardian

Quote from: RegularKarateOkay... I just got off Femme Fatalle and went looking for a thread about it.

Here I am...

Good movie... terrible ending... can someone tell me how that's not the most retarded ending?  I mean serisously... it blows ass... the rest of the movie builds up to this?  You gave me all that and you're leaving me with this?  What the fuck?

So... someone, please tell me, what the fuck?  Am I missing something?

If you're De Palma, ya gotta kick it up that extra notch. He's so in love with the movie as dream, and he seems incapable of making a film that doesn't reflect that (even Casualties of War had the Scary Dream Ending, if I recall). That's fine with me- doesn't ruin it at all. He's just fetishizing what he sees as the inherent dream-state of the cinema. If any director successfully integrates the sublime and the ridiculous, it's De Palma.

However, I have a friend who agrees with you and who was almost violently angry as we left the theater. Me, I was grinning.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardianHe's so in love with the movie as dream, and he seems incapable of making a film that doesn't reflect that (even Casualties of War had the Scary Dream Ending, if I recall).

That was a flashback. Fox's character sees a woman that resembles the girl that was raped and that triggers it as he sleeps. It wasn't like the situation didn't happen as in "Femme Fatale's" case.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

just watched FEMME FATALE as well, thought i would hate it, but came away pleasantly surprised.  i think i liked it quite a lot.  not perfect, but its clear just in his storytelling that he has so much talent, it just bugs me that he gets stuck making sup-par movies a lot of the time.  technically it was really cool to watch, and loaded with ideas, although im not sure i fully loved it, as i can only think of a few movies of his i really enjoyed, it was one of my depalma favorites.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.