So Far This Year, vol. 3

Started by Ghostboy, June 28, 2005, 05:34:00 AM

Pubrick

Quote from: SHAFTR on December 17, 2005, 02:30:17 AM
I'm unsure on your bible comment.  Are you equating the bible to all movie guide?  If so, I guess that would make it quite the authority (atleast in the minds of many people).  Or, were you making a joke?
yes shaftr i was making a joke. u used the all movie to guide to justify your reasoning of horror and sci-fi as the only genre a monster movie can belong to (apparently). that's fine. but to get back to the original point,  i asked you to see what the "bible" (the book u quoted from) says about SCI FI, since that's what we're talking about.

i'm still waiting to hear how the highest ranking type of movie that xixaxers automatically love is "hyped-up sci fi", when the definition of it is being stretched to its limit just to accomodate kong.  neither of you have shown that.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pubrick on December 17, 2005, 02:24:05 AM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on December 17, 2005, 02:18:14 AM
Shaftr's last reply suffices. King Kong is in a category of fantasy which is in the larger category of science fiction.
that's stretching it tho, don't u think? i doubt anyone at xixax goes "oh goodie another sci-fi film to satisfy the nerd within!" i mean, barely anyone went to see Serenity.

so you're saying every superhero movie ever made is also sci-fi, since it's fantasy right? or sumthing crazy like that. great, sci-fi now encapsulates half the movies of the year. of course xixaxers love it.

Early resolution for the next year: don't argue with Pubrick

cine

if fantasy is in the larger category of science fiction, then a film series like harry potter is science fiction? cause i dont believe thats true at all.

they're two different genres. there can be elements of a film that make it qualify as a sci fi film technically, but something like king kong is predominantly an action-adventure film.. but broken down its fantasy moreso than science fiction.

pete

I would say king kong is a foreign film, since it's made in New Zealand.  or maybe an indie film too, since Lucas categorized the Star Wars franchise as indie films.
but I mean, why even argue about it here?  the argument is petty even for messageboard standards, it's like someone arguing Britney Spears shouldn't be filed under rock music in newbury comics or something.  The newbie wanted to know why Batman was on so many lists so I explained to him that xixax digs sci-fi way more than herzog.  maybe I should've said hyped up big budget special effects films in general, but to dwell on the sci fi-ness of king kong (which can probably be argued since the whole genre theory suggests that genre emcompasses both semantics and syntax, so the theme of a beast's struggle in the human world is reminscent of those robot stories or something) is kinda like Bush kept on saying "you forgot Poland" to Kerry's legitimate point.
I didn't know the hierarchy thing was gonna elicit so much negativity either, I wasn't pointing any fingers, but it is true that movies like Batman begins get way more clicks than movies like Turtles Can Fly.  That's all I'm saying.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cine

Quote from: pete on December 17, 2005, 02:37:37 AM
but it is true that movies like Batman begins get way more clicks than movies like Turtles Can Fly.  That's all I'm saying.
and thats true.  :(

:yabbse-highfive:

:yabbse-undecided:

SHAFTR

Quote from: Pubrick on December 17, 2005, 02:34:18 AM
Quote from: SHAFTR on December 17, 2005, 02:30:17 AM
I'm unsure on your bible comment.  Are you equating the bible to all movie guide?  If so, I guess that would make it quite the authority (atleast in the minds of many people).  Or, were you making a joke?

i'm still waiting to hear how the highest ranking type of movie that xixaxers automatically love is "hyped-up sci fi", when the definition of it is being stretched to its limit just to accomodate kong.  neither of you have shown that.

I don't really need to.  I didn't make that original list nor do I believe in it.  I also think it is a silly hierarchy since it treats different modes of productions as genres.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pubrick

Quote from: SHAFTR on December 17, 2005, 02:43:47 AM
I don't really need to.  I didn't make that original list nor do I believe in it.
yeah, i was going to amend my post to say "i mean GT as he was the only one trying to prove it".  anyway since GT's comments were the catalyst for my side of the argument in the first place, and he has since given up miserably, this whole thing can be put to rest.

i agree moreso with pete's new statement about big budget special effects movies. even tho the obvious explanation is that turtles can fly wasn't shown anywhere.
under the paving stones.

cine

Quote from: Pubrick on December 17, 2005, 02:51:04 AM
even tho the obvious explanation is that turtles can fly wasn't shown anywhere.

fair enough, but its still clickable in Now Showing and its all over the world on DVD.  :yabbse-undecided:

pete

Quote from: SHAFTR on December 17, 2005, 02:43:47 AM
I don't really need to.  I didn't make that original list nor do I believe in it.  I also think it is a silly hierarchy since it treats different modes of productions as genres.

like modes of productions and genres are not very intertwined.
- Buster Keaton

pete

I'm adding the "comedians of comedy" documentary (not the series) on my list.
- Buster Keaton

RegularKarate

Quote from: pete on December 19, 2005, 12:13:51 PM
I'm adding the "comedians of comedy" documentary (not the series) on my list.

Yes, most definitely gonna be on mine.  If you get a chance to see the tour, you should.  Great stuff.

pete

so I went to NYC yesterday to catch Arj Barker at Comedy Central Presents, against my better judgement, I ended up missing the show completely and I just chilled out with some friends and their tame laidback friends in the end.  I was telling this tame girl how I'm making a kungfu movie right now and she was like "What was your favorite film this year?"  I was like "Narnia."  She was like "oh yeah?"  I was like "yeah, perhaps you've heard of it?  NARNIA BUSINESS?" 
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: pete on December 21, 2005, 11:24:31 PM
she was like "What was your favorite film this year?"  I was like "Narnia."  She was like "oh yeah?"  I was like "yeah, perhaps you've heard of it?  NARNIA BUSINESS?" 
thanks i'll use that. it works better with my accent anyway.  :yabbse-lipsrsealed:
under the paving stones.

my top 2 list stands:
1. Downfall
2. Batman Begins
context, context, context.