TOP TEN 2004

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 28, 2005, 06:37:33 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: soixante2002 was a great year, with Chicago, The Pianist, Punch-Drunk Love, Adaptation, About Schmidt, Gangs of NY, Far From Heaven, Auto Focus, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Storytelling...for my money that list is pretty strong.
that's gotta be the weakest list i've ever read.
under the paving stones.

soixante

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: soixante2002 was a great year, with Chicago, The Pianist, Punch-Drunk Love, Adaptation, About Schmidt, Gangs of NY, Far From Heaven, Auto Focus, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Storytelling...for my money that list is pretty strong.
that's gotta be the weakest list i've ever read.

2002 wasn't as good as 1999 or 1998, but it was better than 2001, 2003 or 2004.

If you want weak, try 1982 or 1983 or 1985, years that were utterly devoid of quality.
Music is your best entertainment value.

rustinglass

1982: blade runner
1985: back to the future

and these are the first that come to mind
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

soixante

Overall, I feel that 82 was a pretty weak year.  Even the worst years have some good movies, but 82 was the year of Rocky III, Inchon, Cannery Row, Six Pack, Firefox, plus an endless supply of bad slasher movies and bad teen sex comedies.  The year was capped off by a Pink Panther sequel featuring footage from the cutting room floor of Peter Sellers.  On the plus side there was 48 Hours, Tootsie, Road Warrior, Diner, and a few others, but if you want to know why the 80's sucked, start with this year.

85 was very weak.  It was more teen sex movies and bad slasher movies.  I think some of the highly praised films, such as Out of Africa and The Color Purple, were awful.  

Fortunately, 1986 was a much better year, with Blue Velvet, Hannah and Her Sisters, Something Wild, My Beautiful Laundrette, Salvador and others.
Music is your best entertainment value.

RegularKarate

yes, I remember those years.  The best movie years of my life... the eighties.

Snobbery got you nowhere... those were the days.

pete

2002 wasn't bad at all, much better than 2003.  but soxiante just named some of the more forgettable movies from that year.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

life_boy

Ah, the inevitable "this year was better than that year"/"nuh uh, this year was horrible compaired to three years ago" debate.  

Always a favorite.

deathnotronic

Movies started sucking when they figured out that whole sound dealy. Fuck all movies from 1910 and on. Except "M." Fritz Lang was the man.

pete

and now, the also inevitable "how can you guys be arguing about movies...ON XIXAX!" complaints.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

life_boy

Quote from: peteand now, the also inevitable "how can you guys be arguing about movies...ON XIXAX!" complaints.

Always a favorite.

brockly

added Life Aquatic and Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring

B.C. Long

1. I Heart Huckabees
2. The Aviator
3. The Incredibles
4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
5. Kill Bill: Volume 2
6. Million Dollar Baby
7. Shaun of the Dead
8. Coffee & Cigarettes
9. Collateral
10. Passion of the Christ
11. Five Obstructions

Haven't seen Sideways or Life Aquatic. So the list could change.

life_boy

Top 5 Films of 2004[/b]

1.  The Incredibles - Brad Bird
2.  I Heart Huckabees - David O. Russell
3.  The Aviator - Martin Scorsese
4.  Coffee & Cigarettes - Jim Jarmusch
5.  Before Sunset - Richard Linklater

picolas

1. Eternal Sunshine
2. Dogville
3. The Life Aquatic
4. Sideways
5. Ocean's Twelve
6. The Incredibles
7. Vera Drake
8. Fahrenheit 9/11
9. The Dreamers
10. The Aviator

worst: 1. Birth 2. Manch 3. Potter

still need to see: Obstructions, Million-Baby, Team America, Brown Bunny, Long Engagement, Vera Drake

Pubrick

Quote from: picolas10. Garden State
u've hidden it well.
under the paving stones.