Pretentious, angry and useless college movie critic

Started by Find Your Magali, April 02, 2005, 07:31:01 PM

Find Your Magali

Found this just surfing the Web. It's almost impossible to be angry at this kid's hatred toward PTA, because his hatred is just so random and pathetic. Anyway, it's time to meet....

MATT FINLEY
The Daily Orange

Holy shit, "Sin City" looks awesome.

In other news, I'm just as shocked as you are: "The Upside of Anger?" Three stars? Three stars for Costner? Three stars for writer/director Mark Binder ("Blank Man")? I can't help but think that "Guess Who," last week's violent cinematic colostomy, has something to do with my generosity here, but, on the other hand, this isn't a bad film.

It is an ensemble cast film, which means it commits all of the same sins that every other ensemble cast film, from "Magnolia" to "The Safety of Objects," have, although not as recklessly as "The Safety of Objects" or as self-importantly as "Magnolia."

Binder manages a marked degree of originality by opting to have the characters' revelations occur independently off each other rather than in an over-inflated climax where they're all inexplicably forced to come together and/or be haplessly barraged by unforgivably pretentious biblical references (fuck you, Paul Thomas Anderson).

At the same time, because the main story line is so integrally focused upon Kevin Costner and Joan Allen, the other stories tend be forcibly abridged and clumsily resolved.....

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

soixante

As John Quincy Adams once remarked, "Absurdity will die a natural death."
Music is your best entertainment value.