Film mentioned in "That Moment"...

Started by children with angels, March 07, 2005, 10:57:27 AM

The Red Vine

I've seen it so many times I can't really watch it anymore. It's all memorized. I hope PTA makes another one for us.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

phreelee

I think the skit with PTA and Fiona is so very, VERY funny, and easily the greatest thing in that documentary for me.

But there's a lot of other cool stuff in it.  I like it when Daniel Lupi is talking about how overbudget the movie is while he's in the little makeshift kitchen, or when PTA is talking about what filming the game show will be like, and just seeing some of the interesting and hilarious idiosyncrasies that PTA has, like his little motions and things.  Look at the motions he makes at the beginning of the Pathe camera scene...at one moment, he seems to BECOME the motion of the camera.  It's hysterical!

But overall, I don't consider it a great documentary by any stretch.  Some great stuff in it and I enjoy having it on, but I don't think it exactly cuts together very well.  PTA said in an interview that he thought it was 'OK', and that the documentary doesn't really reflect his experience of making the movie in any real way.

I really enjoy, though, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it's on the level of the great docs at all.

©brad

1999 called. they want their thread back.

phreelee

Yeah, because things can only be discussed in the year they were originated.  Thanks for that.  I appreciate it.  That means no one should be discussing any of his movies.

wilberfan

Quote from: KUBRICK WITH TWO BRICKS on October 22, 2017, 10:04:42 AM
Sorry, maybe this is a bit irrelevant, but I figured since all PTA fans are in this thread -- in case any of you haven't seen the BTS documentary on the making of Magnolia, check it out.

Fun Fact: The gas station is directly west of the Reseda Theatre, the marquee of which famously opened Boogie Nights.  The steadicam op talks about having to tilt-down during each of the 8 takes of that opening shot to cut it out of the frame as it no longer looked late-70s in appearance. 

You can make out the (now shuttered) theater, with "Hot Traxx" a little farther back.  (Now a Spanish-language church.)  Same gas station in this publicity still from Boogie Nights, too.

Punch Drunk Hate

Quote from: KUBRICK WITH TWO BRICKS on October 22, 2017, 10:04:42 AM
Sorry, maybe this is a bit irrelevant, but I figured since all PTA fans are in this thread -- in case any of you haven't seen the BTS documentary on the making of Magnolia, check it out.

(btw, shoutout to the guy with the Sholay avi. I see you.)

Highlights from the doc.

-Phil and Paul in the room.
-William H Macy telling Paul that the script was too long, "you cocksucking motherfucker".
-Julianne Moore intelligent analysis about the film. "You should direct the movie".
-Fiona and Paul in the van for the Magnolia premiere.