Film mentioned in "That Moment"...

Started by children with angels, March 07, 2005, 10:57:27 AM

children with angels

Hey guys (if anyone remembers me...). I haven't posted for ages, mainly for reasons of time, ie: the amount of posting I was doing here left me with not much of it.

Anyway, that is all not very interesting. I'm doing an essay on the influences of other films/filmmakers on PTA's work at the moment, and I was wondering what the film is that he screens to those people towards the beginning of "That Moment". He describes it as "maybe one of the top five screenplays of all time", and it seems to have Faye Dunaway and Robert Duvall in. I'm sure everyone here but me will know what it is...

Thanks in advance.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

children with angels

There you go - knew it would laughably obvious! Still haven't seen that film - been meaning to for a long time and this a great and definitive reason to do so. Thanks for that Mogwai.

And now it seems I have created one of those annoying one word answer threads that just clutter up space. Oh well. Any thoughts on why its an influence of Magnolia?

I guess, yeah, its to do with what Paul says about TV people losing a grip on their shit... Any other obvious connections?

I suppose I should just watch it. Yeah.
"We always do..."

mogwai

Quote from: children with angelsAny thoughts on why its an influence of Magnolia?

I guess, yeah, its to do with what Paul says about TV people losing a grip on their shit... Any other obvious connections?
the game show is definitely in reference to network. jimmy gator is like what peter finch's character is in network. although not really that extreme but you can easily sense it when jimmy breaks character before he faints. that's how i feel about it. maybe some other people here have other opinions about it.

MacGuffin

After the screening, when PTA talks with Robert Elswit, he mentions screening "'Ordinary People' on Wednesday."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

but really...why didn't he just screen short cuts? I mean come on.

Alethia

isn't there a title card that says that he has screened network for them?  im pretty sure it's there.

children with angels

:oops:   Jesus. You're right - I just watched it again and there were those words on the screen that I literally can't believe I didn't see before... Fuckin... weird, is the only word for it.

Well, sorry for being dumb.

On the subject of the documentary as a film in itself, I - of course - love it, but its all very bitty: like, let's just catch this little moment, then this little funny moment. It feels like a home movie. And that's what's great about it, but I'm absolutely positive that anyone who wasn't big into PTA - and certainly someone who hadn't seen Magnolia - would turn it off after five minutes.
"We always do..."

squints

I can't believe this....i've been a fan of PTA for a while..and i've seen "That Moment" a million fucking times. However, i just recently bought network on a whim (I saw the Howard Beale picture in America: The Book) and it has become one of my favorite movies of all time, i show it to absolutely everyone who comes to my apartment. It's so fantastic and I knew it reminded me of PTA's work in so many ways but i had never realized that that was the movie he was screening. Subconsciously i know that's why i bought network but it never registered until i read this thread....Anyone see the Sidney Lumet tribute on the oscars? he gave an amazing speech....
Here's another Lumet reference in a PTA film: There's a Serpico poster with Al Pacino's face in Mark Wahlberg's bedroom before he runs away...Lumet directed Serpico....I'm such a genius
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

mogwai

Quote from: squintsI'm such a genius
great.

MacGuffin

Quote from: squintsHere's another Lumet reference in a PTA film: There's a Serpico poster with Al Pacino's face in Mark Wahlberg's bedroom before he runs away...Lumet directed Serpico....I'm such a genius

There's also a poster of Bruce Lee, who starred in Enter The Dragon with John Saxon, who was in Nightmare On Elm Street, starring Johnny Depp who was in Donnie Brasco with Al Pacino, who starred in Dog Day Afternoon directed by Sidney Lumet.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

Ok...so how does Kevin Bacon fit into all this?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

he & Lumet were both born in Philadelphia.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

Quote from: squintsOk...so how does Kevin Bacon fit into all this?

There was also a poster of Farrah Fawcett, who starred in The Apostle with Robert Duvall, who was in Godfather II with Robert De Niro who was in Sleepers with Kevin Bacon.

Skeleton FilmWorks