Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

squints

Quote from: Fernando on November 27, 2012, 03:53:34 PM
SPOILS FOR KILL LIST

Quote from: polkablues on February 11, 2012, 12:41:18 AM
Also watched Kill List, which will be on my Xixax Awards ballot for the year.  It's interesting reading the mixed critical reaction to it, because it's an aggressively ambiguous film, and some people seem to be experiencing some powerful knee-jerking against that, but the movie is so rich and densely layered that I've spent the whole week since I watched it puzzling out theories in my mind.  It's not a particularly "horrific" film, for the most part, but similar to Drive, it's peppered with moments of violence that catch you entirely off-guard.  It's a film that doesn't let the audience off the hook by cutting away when it's expected to.  Also, the score is absolutely bonkers, in the best possible way.

saw Kill List yesterday. this movie is kind of insane, specially the last 10-15 minutes, I love the kind of movie that sticks with you and this one did, from that moment where crazy looking Fiona scratches the back of the mirror knew nothing good could come from that, and never imagined the outcome.....

so thank you xixax, last three films ive seen have been praised here and all of them are great.

the other two were Young Adult and Chronicle.

Here's my question. Can we put kill list on our 2012 ballots this year?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reel

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 27, 2011, 02:11:17 PM
The Burning
Tony Maylam 1981

This is a really fun, classic slasher.  A Nightmare on Elm Street borrowed from this movie.  An implied pedophile is tricked by some kids and he freaks out and catches himself on fire only to come back years later to get revenge on all of them.Lots of bad dialog, teen sex, and people getting murdered.  Clean, stupid fun.

You forgot the best part- It features George Costanza with hair.

kinda crazy that Miramax produced it.

Lottery

Oooh, a horror thread. The original Japanese version of The Ring is probably my favourite. Really gets under my skin with a mix of folk tales, urban legends, investigative focus and just plain creeepy atmosphere.

Reel

I still gotta watch that!! I love Ju-On. Haven't seen The Grudge, I bet it sucks.

Lottery

The Grudge kept you on edge because it liked jump scares so much, and it's occasionally spooky. There's not that much too it beyond that.

modage

October 1st.

I've been poring over the last few pages of this thread for recommendations (shout-out to Polka and RK for keeping it alive). I have a handful picked out I've never seen that I'd like to get to this month (Carpenter's "Christine," Hooper's "Lifeforce," Fulci's "The Beyond," "Timecrimes," "Wake In Fright," "Maniac," "Hausu," "The Uninvited," plus whatever else I can get to) and a few classic I'm going to rewatch (year by year I've been gently easing my GF into the horror wading pool). What's on deck for everybody else?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jenkins

i like your list. all worth seeing. wake in fright is so top shelf, recommend you save it for that kind of night. the original maniac? you might want to watch that early, because you might want to watch everything lustig. if the remake, tell me how that is (remake might have a thread, oh). hausu is bananas, good movie for a party night

mine (i'm a horror movie):
http://www.cinefamily.org/films/the-united-states-of-horror/
5 i want to see/haven't seen, but anyone who knows me knows they can ask me when they go to any movie and i'll go with them

patton oswalt is programming at the new bev. he's showing wake in fright with road games, fyi. later, not oswalt picked, hausu is doubling with eraserhead
http://newbevcinema.com

Ghostboy

My wife and I are hosting a 24 Hour Scary Movie Marathon at our house this year. I'm going to be going back through these threads looking for ideas. So far the only sure-bets are POLTERGEIST (just for fun and familiarity's sake) and THE BIRDS (because my wife loves it and I've never seen it). I'm going to try to get a great mix of obscurities and classics. If we plan it well we should be able to fit in about 11 titles....

Reel

Quote from: modage on October 01, 2013, 02:39:30 PM
What's on deck for everybody else?

Tonight I will watch the 6th installment in the Child's Play series, 'Curse Of Chucky'

Then, in no particular order I will knock these off the list. Most I've seen, but not in years.

Rosemary's Baby
Don't Look Now
Frailty
Demons
Manhunter/Silence of The Lambs/Hannibal
Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
Poltergeist 2&3 ( 1 is always a given )
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 ( 1, a given )
Possession
Suspiria ( anything Argento I can get my hands on )
....same goes for Lucio Fulci

There will be many many more, of course the staples like Halloween, Friday, Nightmare and their sequels. Can't end the month without being terrified by The Shining, but I need to buy it on bluray. most of my time will be spent dodging Polka's suggestions.

HAPPY OCTOBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

to pubrick:  :finger:

polkablues

I've been slacking a little in my horror watching, but I did watch Come Out and Play recently. Well made, with good performances, but it's an overly faithful remake that doesn't come close to the gonzo energy of the original Who Can Kill a Child? The most interesting thing about the remake is that it was directed by a pseudonymous Belarusian who wore a mask throughout the entire production and never revealed his face or identity to even the main actors. That has nothing to do with how the actual movie is, it's just outright odd.

I also saw You're Next not too long ago, which was great. In this era of overwhelmingly meta horror, it's almost refreshing to see a film that's simply a standard horror trope executed to perfection. It threatens to bog down in plot twists toward the end, but it carries them out so casually and naturally that it's easy to forgive. All the props in the world to Sharni Vinson for taking what could have been a totally unrealistic character and making her believable.

I saw Shark Night, that was a big "meh". Even the lovely Sara Paxton and the director of the best Final Destination movie couldn't save that one from PG-13 mediocrity.

I finally got around to watching Scream 4 and immediately regretted it. Side note, from the IMDb trivia: "Wes Craven stated he was not going to return as director unless the script was as good as the first Scream." *coughBULLSHITcough*

No wonder you guys are all marathoning classics right now; it's kind of a wasteland out there for good new horror. I need to check out what the French have been up to lately...
My house, my rules, my coffee

BB

Man, the Are You Afraid of the Dark theme music totally rips off that of Wake In Fright. So distracting! So awesome! Just the novelty of it... Took me right out of the movie every time.

RegularKarate

I've also been slacking a little bit.

Here's the Horror movies I saw at Fantastic Fest:

- Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut: Took a movie I enjoyed as a teenager and added a bunch of VHS footage to make it more true to Clive Barker's original vision. It made twice as much sense, but was five times as boring.

- The Sacrament: The latest Ti West movie. I enjoyed the crap out of it, but it was a pretty straight-forward thriller about what is essentially Jonestown. It was a little baffling why he chose the Found Footage style (even after he explained it), but I still really liked it.

- The Green Inferno: Fuck me, this is Eli Roth proving he just makes the same fucking terrible movie over and over again. There's a really gruesome scene of canibalism followed by a poop joke... this pretty much describes the entire movie.

- Witching and Bitching: I have to say this movie is incredibly sexist and I have a hard time recommending it because of that, but I have to give props to a movie as INSANE as this one having that high of a production value. If you can see past how awful the men in this movie are, it's a really batshit, kinda fun ride.

------

That was technically the end of September. It's October and so far, I've just rewatched some stuff:

- Trollhunter: Still silly, still fun
- The Fly 2: I think this is a pretty overlooked sequel. Yeah, it's shit compared to the first, but it's not bad on its own. Some really well-done gore and make-up and pretty dark and ballsy (with the exception of the happy ending).
- Friday the 13th Part 2: Saw this last night. It starts out pretty suspenseful, but gives all that up about a third of the way in.

Yay Horror... I'm gonna catch up with you!

Mel

The Dead Zone - more a thriller than a horror. It is very solid, I just didn't like premise from the start. I go ballistic, when I hear about "fortune telling" and I'm sorry, because I didn't manage to put that back behind. Character played by Walken is very likeable, yet I wanted to see him dead immediately when future seeing started.

Near Dark and again wrong choice on my part. Believing that I could digest "vampire movie", how silly of me? I liked "bar scene", rest I would like to skip.

Simple mind - simple pleasures...

jenkins

near dark is from '87 and it's a western vampire romance action movie. the cops' bulletholes through the hotel walls, and the light that pierces through the holes, is a nice touch and one can see the design later in hillcoat's the proposition. always enjoy near dark myself. it's not a horror movie no

jenkins

looking forward to these cinefamily selections. this is how you sell me a horror movie:

(titles on the top are the deadly spawn and )