The Beatles

Started by cine, October 23, 2003, 10:24:15 AM

picolas

Quote from: polkablues on September 22, 2009, 02:02:28 AM
I never thought of the Beatles as a band that people actually listen to... More like something that just exists in the collective unconscious of the Western world, like "Row, Row, Row Your Boat," or "Itsy Bitsy Spider," but for grownups. I also just realized I don't have a single Beatles song on my iPod. Huh. That seems weird, now that I think about it. Oh well, what are you gonna do?  :yabbse-smiley: 
because of these remasters i listened to abbey road for the first time as an album a week ago. it blew me away. you should try it.

Pubrick

Quote from: Reinhold on September 22, 2009, 01:34:44 AM
what do you think of the magical mystery tour? 

well, if you insist..

it used to be my favourite and made my top 10 of all time a few years ago

Quote from: :P on March 05, 2004, 05:31:27 AM

MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR - the beatles

don't think i'd put it that high anymore cos i don't listen to the beatles as much as i used to. i find it strange anytime they have a resurgence in popularity, but i guess it's a testament to their greatness that a digital remastering or whatever is enough to make a whole new generation go beatles crazy.  i don't think we'll ever see the end of the beatles. it feels like every decade a new generation MUST be introduced to them and unless people evolve beyond the use for ears (fingers crossed for telepathy by 2020), it is pretty much unstoppable cultural rite of passage. they say history goes in cycles, and the measure of beatles interest should be the new way to notice the beginning of a new cycle.

i think this explains Radiohead's willingness to inject themselves in the mainstream with their single in New Moon. if you ignore the latest waves you will sink. but we shouldn't forget they also still have their finger in what actually matters, with greenwood's CMBB association, that was almost like a marriage among royalty.

my point is the beatles still lead the way in how to maintain cultural relevance, and MJ's estate managers would do well to pay attention to their methods. the beatles have the benefit of getting massive publicity (and a corresponding increase in sales) every time one of their surviving members gets in some multi-million dollar scandal, but that doesn't compare to the huge cash bonanza that accompanies their death. the next beatles wave will come when paul croaks, (go ringo!). if MJ's ppl were smart they'd start laying the groundwork for the $$$ fallout from the remains of the jackson clan.
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

The Beatles have rarely lent their recordings to film.

I can only think of some odd ones that have them - Ferris Bueller (cover) and Can't Buy Me Love (how that happened i'll never know unless they spent their whole budget getting it).

It makes me wonder if they would be perceived a lot differently if they had let their recordings be used in advertising and films/tv.

There would have been so much overexposure because everyone would want to use it.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SiliasRuby

The song 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' was used in 'shampoo'. Michael Jackson, having purchase the whole beatle catalogue (Its been said that Jackson wrote in his will that the estate will give the Beatle music catalogue back to Paul, ringo, olivia, and yoko after he dies) , made it impossibly expensive to use any beatles songs throughout the years. Obviously Michael bought the catologue after 'can't buy me love' and 'ferris bueller's day off'.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

tpfkabi

Quote from: SiliasRuby on September 22, 2009, 12:46:19 PM
The song 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' was used in 'shampoo'. Michael Jackson, having purchase the whole beatle catalogue (Its been said that Jackson wrote in his will that the estate will give the Beatle music catalogue back to Paul, ringo, olivia, and yoko after he dies) , made it impossibly expensive to use any beatles songs throughout the years. Obviously Michael bought the catologue after 'can't buy me love' and 'ferris bueller's day off'.

I thought MJ owned the publishing rights, not the actual recordings, so then he would have allowed all the covers (I Am Sam, Across the Universe, etc). There have been tons of covers in advertising.

It's a complicated thing. I even took a copyright class or two, but too much time has past for me to remember the ins and outs.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: bigideas on September 22, 2009, 01:38:15 PM
Quote from: SiliasRuby on September 22, 2009, 12:46:19 PM

I thought MJ owned the publishing rights, not the actual recordings, so then he would have allowed all the covers (I Am Sam, Across the Universe, etc). There have been tons of covers in advertising.

It's a complicated thing. I even took a copyright class or two, but too much time has past for me to remember the ins and outs.
You are right he may have owned just the publishing rights. I stand corrected.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

Ravi

I just received the Beatles mono box set.  Haven't delved into it too deeply.  I listened to Pepper all the way through, and skipped around on most of the other albums.  The differences aren't always revalatory, but there are some interesting ones.  Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, for example, has a flanging effect on John's vocal that isn't there on the stereo mix.

Some of the earlier stereo mixes have a giant "hole" in the middle, which means nothing was mixed into both left and right channels.  It makes for a strange listening experience.  The mono mixes sometimes sound more unified.

The standalone stereo CDs of Rubber Soul and Help! are the 1987 remixes.  The mono box includes the original stereo mixes on the same CD as the mono mixes.

More thoughts later once I've listened to more of the mono mixes.

On a side note, watch these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQr8WzY5zUk&feature=related

Lottery

What kind of cataclysmic destruction and upheaval of peace did it take to reform the continents into a peace sign?

Cool, a Beatles thread.

Anyway, I chopped up the White Album the other day to make something consistent and cohesive, it was a lot harder than I thought because you lose a bunch of good songs. Part of the album's appeal is that it's a big mess. In some ways it's my favourite album but at the same time I feel that same way about Revolver and Abbey Road. Also, Magical Mystery Tour turned out to be what I expected Sgt. Pepper to sound like before I heard either. So MMT is pretty damn great.

Nails9

*Blows Dust Off*Drops Needle*

This is one of the best things to come from the new "White Album" re-release, and if you listen closely, one might hear the birth of Jon Brion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBRss5I_uw0&app=desktop
WKBB*I/S*NotTP*SSotCB*OS & r.i.p.b.m.

Jeremy Blackman

wilberfan

Fuck yeah.  Ringo is held in the highest regard by drummers that know what they're doing.    Just finished listening to Sir Paul on Fresh Air with Terry Gross.   Really looking forward to the new doc this TG weekend...

Robyn

What George did was way cooler.

wilberfan

I had a Harrison Phase a decade or two ago.  Gobbled up everything he produced and spent hours listening to it--over and over again...  That followed my Brian Wilson Phase, where, ditto.