The Brown Bunny

Started by meatwad, May 09, 2003, 07:49:32 PM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: RaikusI think a lot of you are overlooking the possibility that Brown Bunny might just in fact be a piece of shit.

this is one of the best posts i ever read here , it says it all with out saying too much

this reminds me of the fact that the pta short couch went over ten pages of people disecting the fuck out of it and its meaning

its a short skit he made with his friend GET THE FUCK OVER IT

And this film is shit i am sure, going by what i know about gallos work and the reviews i have read

ebert would of loved to have loved this film, he has no ax to grind

dufresne

that brown bunny vs. ebert's colonoscopy quote is goddamn hilarious.

on a side note, why is Ebert's right side of his mouth droopy?  i know it's been like that for a long time, but i never did quite find out why.  i know he's had some operations in the past, but it looks as if he's had a mini stroke?  anyone know?
There are shadows in life, baby.

pixelnixel

wow, wow, wow!  I can't wait to see it!!!!  I hate Ebert!!!!  I want to see the film on just the grounds that he hated it!!!!!  I think?  
I could sit through a motorcycle in the desert scene........
The way he describes the movie does sound a bit autobiographical if you put it in the context of De Gallo's thoughts.  What would a person racing across a desert on a motorcycle alone think about....
Is there at least narration?
Patience builds the mind of man.  
Maintain balance while you plan.

godardian

Quote from: pixelnixelwow, wow, wow!  I can't wait to see it!!!!  I hate Ebert!!!!  I want to see the film on just the grounds that he hated it!!!!!  I think?  
I could sit through a motorcycle in the desert scene........
The way he describes the movie does sound a bit autobiographical if you put it in the context of De Gallo's thoughts.  What would a person racing across a desert on a motorcycle alone think about....
Is there at least narration?

I'm no Ebert fan, either, but I think entirely independently of him; I won't go to a film because he recommends it, or in reaction to a strongly negative opinion on his part. I just try not to let his influence extend to me when it comes to my movie choices.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

"I had a colonoscopy once, and they let me watch it on TV. It was more entertaining than "The Brown Bunny."  "

thats pretty fucking funny

godardian

All I can find on the web is that the film is "currently seeking distribution in the US." Still. There have to be companies willing to distribute this after all the publicity...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Gold Trumpet

I don't mind if some people here don't like Ebert or will see a film in spite of his opion and likely love it, but come on, this is not a film that Ebert is really heading in being the guy who hated it. Just about everyone hated it and Ebert's last column on it was to prove such. I think Ebert is fantastic, myself, but I am disagreeing with him more and more on a lot of things and sometimes think he is completely wrong on a subject. But all critics are once in a while. I'm not going to read any critic who will pander to my interests only.

Also, Gallo now proves himself to be a complete joke and Andy Kaufman may have to be sent in to give any understanding to the mess publicity he is giving, or he may be the most cowardly and mean spirited filmmaker out there now.

~rougerum

Quote from: The Gold Trumpethe may be the most cowardly and mean spirited filmmaker out there now.

~rougerum

i take it you have yet to see the film " snowdogs"

godardian

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI don't mind if some people here don't like Ebert or will see a film in spite of his opion and likely love it, but come on, this is not a film that Ebert is really heading in being the guy who hated it. Just about everyone hated it and Ebert's last column on it was to prove such. I think Ebert is fantastic, myself, but I am disagreeing with him more and more on a lot of things and sometimes think he is completely wrong on a subject. But all critics are once in a while. I'm not going to read any critic who will pander to my interests only.

Also, Gallo now proves himself to be a complete joke and Andy Kaufman may have to be sent in to give any understanding to the mess publicity he is giving, or he may be the most cowardly and mean spirited filmmaker out there now.

~rougerum

He can obviously be a cowardly and mean-spirited person, but as a filmmaker, I think he takes quite a tender, vulnerable, and sympathetic view (to judge from Buffalo '66). Maybe he saves all his best impulses for his art...

It helps to remember that a lot of great artists are passive-aggressive assholes in real life. It's a vocation that breeds overwhelming insecurity, and that's some people's way of dealing with it.

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI don't mind if some people here don't like Ebert or will see a film in spite of his opion and likely love it, but come on, this is not a film that Ebert is really heading in being the guy who hated it. Just about everyone hated it and Ebert's last column on it was to prove such. I think Ebert is fantastic, myself, but I am disagreeing with him more and more on a lot of things and sometimes think he is completely wrong on a subject. But all critics are once in a while. I'm not going to read any critic who will pander to my interests only.

~rougerum

He can obviously be a cowardly and mean-spirited person, but as a filmmaker, I think he takes quite a tender, vulnerable, and sympathetic view (to judge from Buffalo '66). Maybe he saves all his best impulses for his art...

It helps to remember that a lot of great artists are passive-aggressive assholes in real life. It's a vocation that breeds overwhelming insecurity, and that's some people's way of dealing with it.

ohh so he can make fun of gays and i cant, ohh this sucks i tells you

thats it, im gonna make my own buffalo 66 :: gets jan micheal vincent on the phone::

Gold Trumpet

Godardian, you're talking to the wrong crowd here on trying to prove his redeemability through his movie Buffalo 66, which in my mind, was a talentless movie that aspired to be many things but proved to be only the sufferable rantics of someone I couldn't stand.

What you said about his real life attitude does apply to many great artists indeed and to the most impactful of the 20 century, Adolph Hitler. A close friend (if such a thing for him) and biographer once said the only way you can understand Hitler is to look at him through the eyes of a failed artist. He tried painting, failed but with dictator, provided an immense imagination in bringing about details for German society in the military uninforms, ideas for future German buildings and of course, the Volkswagen. Thing is, the work doesn't over shadow the person and in my eyes, same holds true for Gallo. Also, all the artists that were pricks were still pricks. Their work holds a different identity.

~rougerum

Ghostboy

Quote from: godardian

I'm no Ebert fan

One of the few things I disagree with you on, Godardian. Anyway, I bet if nothing else that the movie will get some sort of overseas release and we'll be able to pick up imports (three cheers for awesome video stores that carry import DVDs!). I'm surprised that that guy Ebert quote was surprised that this is one of the most anticipated movies to come from Cannes....it's definitely received more press than anything else. And I do think that Gallo's ridiculously lame comments are entirely part of his act. Maybe his real self has been consumed by his public persona, but either way, he's done a good job at making himself the center of attention.

cine

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI think Ebert is fantastic, myself, but I am disagreeing with him more and more on a lot of things and sometimes think he is completely wrong on a subject. But all critics are once in a while.

Sorry, but am I the only guy here who finds that quote funny? Since critics look at films from a subjective POV, I find it funny to think they're all wrong from time to time...

About the Brown Bunny - Now before people lash out on me: No, I have not seen the fucking film... but I agree with Raikus that this film could be an utter pile of shit. So Chloe Sevigny sucks Gallo's cock. *clap*clap* I'm certain people will view this waste of film and demand their 2 hours back.
It's sad how people are going to support Gallo by renting the film in video stores just to see some explicit sex scenes. It's just going to influence more Brown Bunnys. And isn't that what we need right now? More critically panned films getting huge buzz and more popularity for shitty films... Ah, sorry, but I have to rant sometimes.
- Cinephile

godardian

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI think Ebert is fantastic, myself, but I am disagreeing with him more and more on a lot of things and sometimes think he is completely wrong on a subject. But all critics are once in a while.

Sorry, but am I the only guy here who finds that quote funny? Since critics look at films from a subjective POV, I find it funny to think they're all wrong from time to time...

About the Brown Bunny - Now before people lash out on me: No, I have not seen the fucking film... but I agree with Raikus that this film could be an utter pile of shit. So Chloe Sevigny sucks Gallo's cock. *clap*clap* I'm certain people will view this waste of film and demand their 2 hours back.
It's sad how people are going to support Gallo by renting the film in video stores just to see some explicit sex scenes. It's just going to influence more Brown Bunnys. And isn't that what we need right now? More critically panned films getting huge buzz and more popularity for shitty films... Ah, sorry, but I have to rant sometimes.
- Cinephile

I still say we can be certain of nothing until we see the film. Of COURSE the media's going to glom onto anything sensationalistic. Just because of their puerility, it's too sheep-like to just assume that the film itself amounts to nothing more than one scene of oral sex (just as it would be sheep-like to assume it's going to be great because everyone's talking about it). I don't buy into any of these likely distortions. I'll wait 'til I can tap directly into the source and form my own opinion.

yes but if this in anyway encourages other hot young actresses trying to come across as being deep by being in bad art films into sucking dick on film

then i say , god bless you vince gallo

so far both katie holmes and christina ricchi have gotten topless for bad art films, thank god for bad art,  gallo just kicked it up a notch

watch as michele williams follows suit and blows eric stoltz , in a james toback film

then eddie kaye thomas eats out natasha leone in a abel ferara film , well nobody wants to see that , kinda fugley ya know