What is your favourite David Fincher-film?

Started by Spike, May 11, 2003, 05:10:32 AM

Void

I havent seen the game, but I'v seen all the others. Alien 3 I dont like, Panic Room I dont like either but Se7en and Fight Club I love. I'd say I like Fight Club better, slightly.
So far I have been unable to think of a signature

oakmanc234

I like them all. But 'Fight Club' would be my favourite. That 'Fight Club' was made for the Fred Durst's of the world comment was, well, stupid. Just cause Durst himself loves the flick:

'Pay me no mind. I seen 'The Fight Club' about 28 times'.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

rezzner

Quote from: oakmanc234I like them all. But 'Fight Club' would be my favourite. That 'Fight Club' was made for the Fred Durst's of the world comment was, well, stupid. Just cause Durst himself loves the flick:

'Pay me no mind. I seen 'The Fight Club' about 28 times'.

After reading through two and a half screens of opinions, I have come to the conclusion that most of it was fluff.  A few people gave solid opinions with real explanations behind them.  I applaud them and you should be proud of yourself.

As for my opinion on Fincher?  I would say that Fincher is very talented and he creates great atmospheres for his films.  I liked the look of Panic Room, but I felt the story dragged.   It moved at a some what slow pace while never accomplishing anything.  There was a half ass attempt at creating some emotion and feeling for the more innocent characters but otherwise I felt it did not have much substance.

The Game.  Haven't seen it.  I heard it was good, planned on seeing it and haven't gotten around to it yet.

Alien3.  Well, I think it fell short.  Hard in fact because Cameron had done such an excellent job on Aliens and even the original was well done.  I don't necessarily blame Fincher for this because I think the story and script was terrible.  The concepts for the other Alien movies were a lot stronger and if Fincher had done Alien or Aliens... it would have come out better than what Alien3 was.

Fight Club and Seven.  There seems to be some debate as for the quality of these films -- Fight Club inparticular.  I enjoyed both films.  I also own both of them on dvd.  Seven was on of the original dvd's that I purchased (and yes, I know there is a different way of spelling it now but I don't care).  I bought the dvd because it was a dark and brooding film and I felt it touch the dark underbelly of humanity.  Fincher took the story and created the perfect atmosphere for its content while never giving away any hints as to its ending.  With Fight Club... I didn't like it the first time I saw it.  I felt it was a little pretentious.  Like some person who commented about the movie being for the Fred Durst's of the world (yes, I am commenting on that because it was an extremely lame attempt at being witty), I believed the movie was made only for stereotypical jocks.  I was wrong.  After viewing the film a few more times, I began to see the intelligence that sweeps through the film.  Again, Fincher uses a rather dark subject to display the dark side of man.

In any case, those are only my opinions... take 'em or leave 'em but I am tired of commenting.  On to something else...
I'm going to eat your face like a chicken...

modage

well, i'm glad you've decided everyone elses opnions are "fluff".  i believe the topic is FAVORITE DAVID FINCHER FILM, and nowhere in there does it say you MUST back up this with an essay.  if everyone else were turning their thoughts in as reports for their intro to film classes, they mightve taken their intellectual time to write a more detailed report.  but as the thread was simply a poll for which film was the most popular,  i think that "FIGHT CLUB RULES!" will have to do for now.  personally, i feel that since finchers only made five films, and you havent seen 1/5 of them, you're opinion is fluff.  see the game, then bitch.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Quote from: rezznerAfter reading through two and a half screens of opinions, I have come to the conclusion that most of it was fluff.  A few people gave solid opinions with real explanations behind them.  I applaud them and you should be proud of yourself.

i must first apologize for the double post,  but i just re-read this, and boy are you a prick!  who do you think you are anyways?  i'm picturing a very sensitive ponytail and a long table full of dinnerguests.  "jazz anyone?"

Quote from: rezznerAs for my opinion on Fincher?

as if we would care at this point?

ps.  can i be proud of myself?  or do i receive no applause?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

I like it.  It's like Pants, but swifter.
I like to hug dogs

modage

yeah, i kind of felt a little like the man.  the sensitive ponytail and jazz anyone comments are lifted straight from something he had said in the music forum.  but its all that kept running through my head when i was writing furiously, so that post goes out to Pants.

a shout out?

Sleuth

yeah, I remember the ponytail thing and jazz thing

I think he said "Miles Davis" instead of jazz though
I like to hug dogs

rezzner

Quote from: themodernage02well, i'm glad you've decided everyone elses opnions are "fluff".  i believe the topic is FAVORITE DAVID FINCHER FILM, and nowhere in there does it say you MUST back up this with an essay.  if everyone else were turning their thoughts in as reports for their intro to film classes, they mightve taken their intellectual time to write a more detailed report.  but as the thread was simply a poll for which film was the most popular,  i think that "FIGHT CLUB RULES!" will have to do for now.  personally, i feel that since finchers only made five films, and you havent seen 1/5 of them, you're opinion is fluff.  see the game, then bitch.

Why does seeing 4 out of 5 of his films make my opinion fluff?

Also, I never said "everyone elses opnions are 'fluff'" (I wanted to quote you correctly).  I said many of them were.  What I meant by "fluff" was that I would have enjoyed hearing more reasoning behind their decision.  Everyone has an opinion and I prefer to hear the reasoning behind their opinion.  I don't necessarily think they are wrong but some intellectual thought in a conversation is always appreciated.  

I find it rather funny that you called my less than a screen comment a "report".  What is wrong with an intelligent response?  What is wrong with adding some reasoning behind my thinking?  It is very possible to have real discussions with people.  

Maybe you should look into it.

Rezzner
"Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism.  We are the vandals." - Peter Steele

rezzner

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: rezznerAfter reading through two and a half screens of opinions, I have come to the conclusion that most of it was fluff.  A few people gave solid opinions with real explanations behind them.  I applaud them and you should be proud of yourself.

i must first apologize for the double post,  but i just re-read this, and boy are you a prick!  who do you think you are anyways?  i'm picturing a very sensitive ponytail and a long table full of dinnerguests.  "jazz anyone?"

Quote from: rezznerAs for my opinion on Fincher?

as if we would care at this point?

ps.  can i be proud of myself?  or do i receive no applause?

As for apologizing... why bother?  In fact, I would say there is nothing wrong with a double post if you have something interesting to say.

As for me being a prick?  Well, I've been called worse, and who do I think I am?  I think I am me.  I could be wrong, but that is what I believe.  It's funny that you attempt to blast me for attempting to have an indepth conversation.  Is it because you are incapable of coming up with an opinion?  Other than having an opinion about me of course.

As for your "as if we would care at this point?" comment... maybe you shouldn't speak for other people.  If you had said, "as if I would care at this point?" then I would say you probably should.  That isn't because I think I am better than you or anyone else, but because I had a real opinion with a little bit (yes, a little not a report) of reasoning behind it.

Most of my comments were pointed towards posts like the Fred Durst comment.  It appeared to be a hollow stab at people without any explanation or reasoning behind it.

Is it so terrible to expect people to think?

RegularKarate

I can't tell between snob and just boring anymore... I think I might give up.

rezzner

Quote from: RegularKarateI can't tell between snob and just boring anymore... I think I might give up.

More intelligent come backs.  Come on... keep 'em coming.  

If you think I am boring, how about you read your own postings.

Oh, but this is so much better.  I am amazed that from the people who have responded, the only thing you have focused on was my comment about other postings.  You haven't even bothered to discussion anything else.  We could actually discuss Fincher's films and why we might like one particular one or why not, but no... the couple of you have not done that.  Which actually makes my point for me.

Thank you.

MacGuffin

rezzner, this thread is just a mindless poll. If you more in depth discussions, visit the rest of the Fincher forum and you will find threads dedicated to each film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

rezzner

Quote from: MacGuffinrezzner, this thread is just a mindless poll. If you more in depth discussions, visit the rest of the Fincher forum and you will find threads dedicated to each film.

That's reasonable.  I appreciate you being civilized about your approach.  I understand where you are coming from.

Let me explain myself for a second.  The entire reasoning behind posting in this forum was to discuss why some people thought their choice was theirs.  I thought it would be really interesting to see why someone cared about one movie while another cared about something else.  Unfortunately, after reading through the posts the majority of them weren't like that.  I was hoping to engage in more of that, but the others who responded to the message didn't see that aspect of it.

Maybe I can find there some place else.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention.  I appreciate that you were able to respond in an intelligent manner.

Thanks.

moonshiner

Seven......loved the Game and Fight Club, really didn't like Panic Room
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one