Breaking News

Started by pete, July 27, 2004, 10:07:09 PM

pete

this is the latest film by Johnnie To that premiered at the Cannes.  It opened with an 8 minute gun battle all done in one take.  And then ended with a car chase, in which two minutes plus of it was done in one take on a handheld camera inside one of the cars.
The story and the acting were all really good too, but the cinematography, man, that was some good cinematography.

the movie is about how an undercover stakeout went horribly wrong, all the while caught by the news camera, so the police department turned it into a media event when they tried to nail the bad guys the second time.  however, the bad guys were pretty media-savvy as well and turned the media against the cops for the second time.  all the while there were all these little interesting threads regarding the hostages, the undercover cops, the special forces, the media van politics...etc.
here's the website with the trailer, unfortunately, it's pretty cheesy and took a good minute for it to finish "loading", but whatever, it's a good movie, trust me.  
http://www.breakingnewsthemovie.com/main_e.htm

I hope it gets released in the States, but for now you can buy copies in Chinatowns or those cool indie video stores.  probably not in the burbs though.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cine

I wonder who holds the record for most threads made here on upcoming movies that nobody replies to..

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

cine

Yeah, I think you or pete. Anyone else have an idea?

pete

well, it used to be me, but you had to ruin it.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

dufresne

There are shadows in life, baby.

cine

Quote from: ...& I...and I found one.
Haha...