Monsters University

Started by MacGuffin, April 22, 2010, 11:33:21 PM

MacGuffin

Disney drawing 'Monsters Inc.' sequel
Studio also sets release date for Pixar's 'Brave'
Source: Variety

Disney is getting animated in 2012.

Studio has dated Pixar's "Brave" for June 15, 2012 while also confirming a sequel to "Monsters Inc.," which will be released on Nov. 16, 2012.

Mouse House chairman Rich Ross made the announcement Thursday afternoon on the studio lot.

"Monsters Inc.," released in 2001, becomes only the second Disney-Pixar property to reach sequel status; the first was "Toy Story," which is gearing up for its third installment this summer.

"Monsters" grossed over $525 million at the worldwide box office.

Pixar's "Brave," formerly known as "Bear and the Bow," is the CGI animation company's first-ever female-driven feature.

Starring Reese Witherspoon,"Brave" tells the story of an impulsive princess (Witherspoon) who aims to shed her royal ties and become the world's first, great female archer.

Writer/director Brenda Chapman ("Cars") is behind the project.

Ross isn't known for being a man of few words. Yet outside of the occasional appearance at an awards show or premiere, Disney's studio chairman has been one very silent figurehead since taking the job last fall.

It's been a surprising departure from the exec Hollywood is used to: As the head of Disney Channel, Ross was one of the Mouse House's most vocal cheerleaders.

He might be back. After spending months assembling his new regime, which culminated with this week's hire of MT Carney as marketing chief, Ross met with the media for the first time Thursday to unveil his blueprint for the Mouse House moving forward.

It involves making 14-16 movie per year coming from Disney's live action and animated divisions, Marvel and DreamWorks.

Carney's role is in fact a new one for the studio when she joins in mid-May, with the exec handling marketing for all pics from theatrical on through their homevideo releases -- "the whole life cycle of a movie," Ross said.

"Our job No. 1 is to male great movies, get the word out that they're coming out and deliver them to consumers the way they want it," Ross said.

"I need to make movies that are profitable and that's what I need to focus on," Ross said from the Disney lot as he unveiled new footage from a muscular slate of tentpoles skedded for this year that include "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time," "Toy Story 3," "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," "Tangled," and "Tron: Legacy," as well as "Secretariat," with Diane Lane and John Malkovich, which he described as a movie that sends a signal of what Disney is and what Disney can be."

The pic falls into a category that Ross describes as a "targeted tentpole," one like the teen-skewwing dramedy "Prom," that can be made at a lower pricetag and for a specific audience.

Ross said Disney would release "Gnomeo and Juliet," the Elton John-produced animated musical produced by Touchstone, in early 2011. Pic had been one of several that had been in mentioned to be in contention as Disney negotiates with bidders for Miramax. Miramax's Jennifer Aniston comedy "The Switch" will also bow this August through Touchstone.

"Cars 2," the fourth "Pirates," the next "Muppet" movie (which will intro a new Muppet named Walter) and DreamWorks' "Real Steel" also unspool in 2011.

Ross announced a sequel for Pixar's "Monsters, Inc." for Nov. 16, 2012 and June 15, 2012 for Pixar's toon "Brave," which had previously not been announced.

Tim Burton's stop-motion pic "Frankenweenie" and Andrew Stanton's live-action epic "John Carter of Mars" also bow that year.

As for projects he pulled the plug on, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" was just "too dark" in what was planned to go into production. It's "still a project we're considering."

"This is about focus," Ross reiterated of the studio's plan moving forward. "We live in times where there's less opportunities to bring in revenue. While pet projects are fun it's important that everyone is focused. It's important to be focused on opening the movies.

"What you see is a slate that will have a diversity of pictures," he said. But while there's an emphasis on the bottomline, "we're in the movie business not the business business."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

It's funny. When it was just one film a year, Hayao Miyazaki told Pixar executives they were releasing too many films. Now 2012 will have two features from Pixar. On one hand, Monster's Inc. is my favorite Pixar film pre-The Incredibles and while a sequel would technically be redundant, I don't mind too much. The first one was pretty airy as well so the hope is Pixar doesn't just copy the story. I don't mind a carry over of the same sentimentality since it is timeless still. Then a second film that year could also mean something which may be more experimental. What Pixar could be doing is setting themselves up to recoup a lot on some guarantees and then see how some different kind of movies do. Of course this hypothesis assumes a lot, but since Pixar has yet to tone down their motivation (exception to Cars) I have to expect this second movie in 2012 will be equally ambitious in good ways.

ono

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

library at 2:04 looks like the one in se7en.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Lottery

I like that it's a Mike-centric story. Good trailer.

Sleepless

My son (3) loves Monsters Inc. We're going to take him to see this as his first cinema experience. Can't wait!
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Lottery

Quote from: Sleepless on May 31, 2013, 02:10:19 PM
My son (3) loves Monsters Inc. We're going to take him to see this as his first cinema experience. Can't wait!

That's awesome. I wish to raise my children on Pixar.

Sleepless

Dreamworks movies are banned in our house. Fox animation is occasionally acceptable.

Sleepless

Really enjoyed this and dare I say it,... better than Monsters Inc.? Much better than I expected. Mirren's Dean is creepy. The Blue Umbrella short which runs before it has some amazing photo-realistic animation.

Lottery

Quote from: Sleepless on June 24, 2013, 04:24:38 PM
Really enjoyed this and dare I say it,... better than Monsters Inc.? Much better than I expected. Mirren's Dean is creepy. The Blue Umbrella short which runs before it has some amazing photo-realistic animation.

Good to hear. I saw a preview of the Blue Umbrella short and it looked unbelievably gorgeous.

polkablues

This was way better than I expected. The trailers sold it short. Not elite level Pixar, but not even close to the Disnified weak-quel I was afraid of. Oh, and this:
Quote from: Sleepless on June 24, 2013, 04:24:38 PM
dare I say it,... better than Monsters Inc.?
My house, my rules, my coffee