Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

Lottery

Good suggestions. The Orphanage was freaky at times but to me it less of a horror film and more of a Hitchcockian drama/thriller sort of thing.

For something similar to The Ring, try the original Dark Water. I'll assume you've watched the original Japanese version of The Ring (which is my favourite horror film).

polkablues

Also, if you liked The Orphanage but haven't seen Devil's Backbone, see Devil's Backbone.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Lottery

Also, if you liked The Orphanage, you might get a kick out of The Others.

polkablues

Also, if you like The Others, The Awakening has its charms.

MacGuffin

Also, if your list doesn't have The Exorcist and The Omen, see The Exorcist and The Omen.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Also, if you're diving back into the classics, Don't Look Now and Peeping Tom.

Mel

Quote from: polkablues on June 13, 2014, 02:54:17 PM
Some more, with a heavy emphasis on the unsettling:

Martyrs, Grave Encounters, Kill List, Lake Mungo, Triangle, Session 9, Inside

SailorOfTheSeas didn't mention any horror with graphical violence, so I was careful with that. Before throwing yourself against "Martyrs" and alike, I would recommend to start with something weaker. This isn't necessary in chronological order: start with giallo horrors like "Deep Red", "Tenebre", move onto classic slashers like original "Halloween" or "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre", then move onto extremes.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

polkablues

I guess I'm more of the "toss him in the water and see if he can swim" mindset when it comes to horror. If that is a concern, steer clear of Inside, as well. In some ways, the violence in that is even harder to watch than Martyrs.

polkablues

I just pulled out my Martyrs DVD and watched the hour-long making of doc, which I had never seen before. Anyway, I'm really leaning toward rejecting the notion that the violence in Martyrs is something that should you need to build an immunity to before you watch it. Unlike the artiness of Argento or the schlockiness of Texas Chainsaw, Martyrs has a mindfulness to its approach to violence that's more... meaningful, I guess, than a typical slasher or giallo. The violence isn't something to laugh at or to admire, but to be affected by. It takes violence seriously, and forces the audience to do the same. If you're watching the film and not being brutalized by it, if you're treating it just as a test of how much gore you can handle, you're missing out on what makes the film special. I hate that Pascal Laugier often thinks Martyrs is something he needs to apologize for, simply because too many people underestimate its purpose and intention. That's my two cents.

Mel

Quote from: polkablues on June 14, 2014, 02:55:31 PM
I just pulled out my Martyrs DVD and watched the hour-long making of doc, which I had never seen before. Anyway, I'm really leaning toward rejecting the notion that the violence in Martyrs is something that should you need to build an immunity to before you watch it. Unlike the artiness of Argento or the schlockiness of Texas Chainsaw, Martyrs has a mindfulness to its approach to violence that's more... meaningful, I guess, than a typical slasher or giallo. The violence isn't something to laugh at or to admire, but to be affected by. It takes violence seriously, and forces the audience to do the same. If you're watching the film and not being brutalized by it, if you're treating it just as a test of how much gore you can handle, you're missing out on what makes the film special. I hate that Pascal Laugier often thinks Martyrs is something he needs to apologize for, simply because too many people underestimate its purpose and intention. That's my two cents.

If you are preaching at me, I'm wrong audience - just take a look at Gaspar Noe's or "disturbing films" thread. I don't have problems with it and agree that Laugier doesn't need to apologize for anything.

It isn't about building an immunity though. For some people it is just few bridges too far. I'm aware of people who would like to un-see "Irreversible". It doesn't matter if image is an illusion like in film, it can have same effect and that is why we love the cinema for I think. Not everyone is inclined to be unsettled to same degree, then again this is one of the main reasons behind horror genre. Maybe Argento is enough to achieve this goal, maybe not.

polkablues

I hear you. I think I just get overly defensive about Martyrs because I think it's a great and important film that everyone should watch, and too often I see the "extreme" label slapped on it as a way of dismissing it, or minimizing it. That's definitely not what you were doing, but my reflexive knee-jerk activated anyway.

Mel

Quote from: polkablues on June 14, 2014, 03:56:54 PM
(...) too often I see the "extreme" label slapped on it as a way of dismissing it, or minimizing it. That's definitely not what you were doing, but my reflexive knee-jerk activated anyway.

I see how "Martyrs and alike" could be misunderstood for dismissive tone. By using extreme in phrase I was thinking of "New French Extremity" - recognizing this as part of larger movement is quite the opposite of minimizing it in my opinion.

Small digression. 10 years ago, when I was in high school, whole class took trip to cinema. It was "The Passion of the Christ". One of the teachers started to cry and had to walk out in the middle of a film - it was just too much. At the time I was heavy entrenched into gore cinema etc. I started laughing, since I was too dim-witted to emphasize with her. Over the years this accident started to hunt me. For me it was just a film, for her it wasn't and she wasn't able to detach actors stained with fake blood from violence and suffering.

This is why I'm careful with recommending some films. As much I think Russell's "The Devils" is a beautiful film, I'm more than concerned with passing it onto anyone. I'm more likely to do so in circles (like Xixax), where crowd is more familiar with the medium, even then I would do so with a warning (or at least try).

Reel

I'm not ready to see Martyrs because I heard it's disturbing on the same level as Irreversible. Unlike my experience with Irreversible, where I was expecting the 9 minute thingy from a mile away, I have no idea what Martyrs is about and would like to keep it that way and just watch it blind when I'm in the mood for something sickening. I find that mostly these days I'm not interested in being 'challenged' by cinema. I just wanna be entertained, have a good time, go to bed with sweet dreams.

polkablues

Quote from: Reelist on June 14, 2014, 05:19:46 PM
I'm not ready to see Martyrs because I heard it's disturbing on the same level as Irreversible. Unlike my experience with Irreversible, where I was expecting the 9 minute thingy from a mile away, I have no idea what Martyrs is about and would like to keep it that way and just watch it blind when I'm in the mood for something sickening. I find that mostly these days I'm not interested in being 'challenged' by cinema. I just wanna be entertained, have a good time, go to bed with sweet dreams.

I recommend not learning too much about Martyrs before you watch it. Part of what's great about it is how it plays with your expectations.

wilder

Quote from: Reelist on June 14, 2014, 05:19:46 PM
I'm not ready to see Martyrs because I heard it's disturbing on the same level as Irreversible.

I'd agree with that, maybe more. Probably the most disturbing horror movie I can think of. The last 20 minutes or whatever are retarded, but jesus christ the majority of it is distressing and likely to leave scars. The plot of Martyrs is pretty much my (and anyone's) worst nightmare, I think.