Margaret

Started by wilder, August 03, 2011, 06:14:58 PM

wilder

3 Hour Director's Cut Of Kenneth Lonergan's 'Margaret' Hits DVD and Blu-ray on July 10th
via The Playlist

Kenneth Lonergan's "Margaret," the long-delayed, much discussed, often troubled drama about a young girl (Anna Paquin) who accidentally causes a horrific bus accident, is finally making its way onto DVD and Blu-ray in July. As The New Yorker reports, the film will be available in both the original theatrical cut (which ran two-and-a-half-hours) alongside a new director's cut (with an additional 36 minutes of footage), presumably in a two-disc edition, on DVD at least.

Of course, since "Margaret" seems to carry with it an air of undesirability, the film will only be available through Amazon. Presumably this means that it won't be available through iTunes or Netflix, which is a real shame for a film that desperately deserves to be seen by more people.

Margaret (2011) Blu-ray - Amazon

Alexandro

just saw it. the "short" cut. it's pretty much masterful. I wasn't aware of the rocky road this film's had, but Paquin's age (not her performance, which is BRILLIANT) made me wonder. Also because the film feels like it was shot before this whole crisp and crystal clear cinematography nonsense that is ruining movies for me.

The film becomes about so many things and it's firmly grounded in a kind of normal human behaviour that is rare in movies these days. Gotta mention Paquin again because she just home runs this thing.

Has anyone seen the longer cut?

chere mill

Quote from: Alexandro on August 18, 2012, 12:30:36 AM
Has anyone seen the longer cut?

yep. it's excellent. i watched them back to back. the theatrical cut is very good, but obviously butchered and messy. its glimpses of brilliance are fully realized in the extended cut, and then some. everything comes together just about perfectly.

Alexandro

Just rewatched this again. What gives? No no one has seen it? Now I think it's a full developed masterpiece. And I'm only talking of the "butched" version. Paquin gives one of the best performances by any actress in ages, and really everyone else does. It's so real, this film, you feel as you are part of it. I don't know what possessed everyone involved with this, but I can't point to any faults. As I was watching, I kept thinking of how fake most human behavior comes across in movies compared to it.

And the bravery the film has of just letting you splash into the complexities of being a confused and vulnerable human being, at any age, in any social context, figuring things out some times better than others. When it ended I kept trying to remember what films won academy awards the year this was released but I haven't been able to do it 'cause I don't want to get pissed off.

Garam

I need to watch it again but my abiding memory of it is that the bus death scene was utterly harrowing. Really did feel like you were watching the life fade from the actress's eyes. Extremely 'real' like you said.

JG

This is one of my favorite movies. I actually can't believe this movie. I get all stirred just thinking about it, no joke. I became such a nerd for Kenneth Longergan after this, I read a bunch of his plays and also the script for his next movie, which takes place in the part of da world where i grew up.. v excited.

WorldForgot

Quote from: wilder on January 04, 2021, 07:06:29 AM
Kenneth Lonergan’s ‘Margaret’ Extended Cut Now Streaming on HBO Max

justicia !!

honestly, I'll never forget buying this blu -- I was more cringe-cinephile in high school and thought i was hot shit for having cop'd it after i read about the production. I watched it, and it shattered my notion of youthful ego for a while. Cannot wait to introduce it to more people.

wilberfan

Promise me it's better than Night of the Hunter...?  :wink:

WorldForgot

An easy promise. Knowing your taste I think you'll dig this one if not just for the lush symphony of ensemble performances, for its idiosyncratic beats.

Drenk

The extended cut was never released on Blu-Ray, though?
Ascension.

Alethia

Margaret is one of my favorite films - though I must admit, I prefer the shorter version. It's possible this is due to the fact that I saw it first, but the additional material, while illuminating on its own terms, doesn't really add much to the whole for me. Saw the long cut at, yet again, Metrograph, with Lonergan and J Cameron Smith in attendance. The DCP they presented looked very fuzzy and flat, too, which likely influenced my feelings toward it. Still an unparalleled masterpiece though no matter how it's projected.

Drenk

I saw the two cuts in the same week, beginning with theatrical, and the extended was clearly a better version of what Lonergan aimed to do. But there are technical issues with the material, apparently, preventing them to do a Blu-Ray. HBO only does an upscale of the DVD.
Ascension.

Alethia

FWIW, Lonergan stands behind both cuts.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Drenk on January 04, 2021, 11:27:32 AM
The extended cut was never released on Blu-Ray, though?

Theatrical Blu came with the Extended cut on another disc. I just meant the purchase of Margaret Blu, you know the only previous way to see the Extended cut was the dvd disc in that combo pack....
Can't tell if you're trying to one-up me in some sense or wut lol