favorite beck album? (official beck thread)

Started by Rudie Obias, January 22, 2004, 10:33:53 PM

Rudie Obias

what is it?

my favorite album is mutations.....

midnight vultures is starting to grow on me though
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

classical gas

it would be so easy to say 'sea changes' or 'odelay', but probably 'mellow gold' for me.  it incorporates the good parts of both of those albums.

Pubrick

i guess this can be the official beck thread,

we already got one on Sea Change and Midnite Vultures.
under the paving stones.

smash

I love 'em all.  Because Beck is so diverse its hard to pick just one because I love each of them in a different way.  Overall though I guess I'd say either "Sea Change" or "Midnite Vultures"

nix

gotta go with mellow gold. love 'em all though.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

grand theft sparrow

Midnite Vultures is my favorite.  Anytime good artists emulate Prince is okay by me (like Andre 3000's disc on the new Outkast album).  He said he wanted to make a dumb party album to close out the 90s and damned if he didn't succeed.

But I think Mutations is his best album, not my favorite but the best laid out. Of everything he's done, I think that one deserves to be the one that he is remembered for.

Every other Beck album is spotty (more good than bad though) as far as I'm concerned.

Alexandro

ODELAY is my favorite album of all time...and it's the coolest title...

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: hacksparrowMidnite Vultures is my favorite.

Yes! You are correct, sir!
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

tpfkabi

my favorite is Mutations.
but i like pretty much everything he's done.
he's one of the few people who can try different genres and never sound cliche'.
i believe he i going to release a new one this year......you never know what to expect from him.......most likely good
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Old News but:

:::::: 12.19.03: Sea Change 5.1 DVD ::::::
Sea Change will be getting a 5.1 Surround Sound DVD release just in time for the holidays on December 16th, 2003, OUT NOW!!. Here are the details:

Regular DVD players:
- 5.1 Surround Sound (48kHz/24-bit Dolby Compressed) of Sea Change Album
- 6 Music Videos in 5.1

DVD-Audio Players:
- 5.1 Surround Sound (88.2kHz/24-bit MLP 'Loss-less' Encoding) of Sea Change Album with Sea Change Art Gallery while music plays
- 6 Music Videos in 5.1

The 6 music videos, 5 of which have NEVER been seen are in 5.1 Surround Sound (A first for any Universal DVD-A). Here are the videos and their directors:

Lost Cause - Garth Jennings ("Falling Beck" version)
Guess I'm Doing Fine – Spike Jonze
Little One – Michael Palmieri
Round the Bend – Jeremy Blake
Lonesome Tears – Jason Lee
The Golden Age – Steven Hanft

The DVD should be in the Emporium early next year, but for now go to your local store and find it there.
context, context, context.

myadopteddaughter

mmm, mmmm good

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Mine is 'Odelay' because IMO, his lyrics started to make sense on 'Mutations', the vocals were too high for me to sing along with on 'Midnite Vultures', and on Sea Change the lyrics make sense again.
But I love all those four albums, & never heard 'Mellow Gold'.
Beck is the damned best.

modage

Beck has contributed the song "Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime" to the "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" soundtrack, due out March 16th on Hollywood Records. "Eternal Sunshine" is the new film by frequent Beck collaborator Michel Gondry, and stars Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

BECK MARRIES BELLE

American rocker BECK has reportedly married his eight-month pregnant girlfriend MARISSA RIBISI.

According to American news site PAGE SIX, the pair tied the knot in secret in Santa Monica, California, on Saturday (3APR04).

Ribisi, who is the twin sister of actor GIOVANNI RIBISI, was last seen at a concert Beck performed in Los Angeles last week alongside fellow Scientologists JULIETTE LEWIS and ERICA CHRISTENSEN.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

i think i'm gonna go with "midnite vultures." though i have been listening to sea change a lot lately, especially "Golden Age," fucking fantastic. and i also really like the song from Eternal Sunshine.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?