Schizopolis

Started by children with angels, March 10, 2003, 08:13:12 AM

children with angels

No one seems to have metioned this movie: it's probably my favourite Soderbegh - really really fucking funny, and one of the strangest films I've seen Anyone like it...?
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

polkablues

I'm sure I would love it if I could find it anywhere.
My house, my rules, my coffee

children with angels

Really? It's readily available on video in the UK - released under the American Independants banner...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

polkablues

I'll admit I haven't been searching extensively for it, but I've never actually seen a physical copy of it in real life.  I could probably get it online without too much trouble, though.
My house, my rules, my coffee

BrainSushi

I started a thread on the DVD board concerning what the next seven titles from Criterion would be (as they near Spine # 200) and somebody mentioned that they'd aquired (sp?) a few Soderbergh titles. The only names mentioned were Gray's Anatomy and Schizopolis. Perhaps a Criterion release? I hope so, 'cause I sure as hell can't find this movie anywhere on DVD.

Holden Pike

Long live Nameless Numberhead Man and mayonaise! Yes, I love humanity, but hate people! Generic greeting! And if you don't understand what I'm saying, this is your fault!

I LOVE Schizopolis. Just LOVE it, without end. I put it second in his filmography, behind only The Limey. Just the scene of Soderbergh in front of the mirror alone makes it a classic.

No it hasn't made it to R1 DVD yet (the Criterion treatment will be ideal), but the U.S. VHS is in fact letterboxed. However, now that I realize it's out on R2 DVD (and has been for a couple months!!! How did I miss THAT?!?), well, I'm ordering it right....NOW. Not gonna wait any longer. My VHS cassette is wearing thin. :-D
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream, it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film."
- Frank Capra

jokerspath

Bought it for relatively cheap at $15 (it was still priced to rental) off Ebay last year.

And yes, that scene where he is making faces in front of the mirror and his boss/coworker walks in and he just goes totally blank and rudely walks out is probably one of the better scenes in the movie...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

godardian

The DVD's still not up at the Criterion site... not even with "the secret code." This means it'll probably be beyond August when we finally see its release.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

not sure if the specs have been posted yet for the Criterion DVD, but if not...

Last but not least is Steven Soderbergh's little-seen Schizopolis, which gets a new 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen and English mono soundtrack. Supplements include two audio commentaries, one with Soderbergh interviewing himself, the other with producer John Hardy, actor and casting director David Jensen, production sound mixer Paul Ledford, and actor Michael Malone, deleted scenes, the original theatrical trailer and a new essay by Village Voice critic Dennis Lim. Schizopolis is set for release on October 11th.  Retail is $39.95.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weak2ndAct

Criterion Schizopolis!  Finally!  I only wish they would have had a 2 disc set w/ Gray's Anatomy b/c Soderbergh made both films pretty much at the same time and were both instrumental in his rebirth-of-sorts.

Oh well, I can only imagine what oddities are in store on the actual disc.  Here's hoping the design is as wonderful and crazy as the movie itself.

And if you love those two movies, read his interview book w/ Richard Lester, it features journal entries from the period.  Funny stuff.

And yeah, Schizopolis is my fave in the filmography.  It's certainly not the most technically proficient or perfect, but there's a punk-rock-don't-give-a-fuck-and-throw-in-every-damn-idea-I've-ever-had attitude that is refreshing.  It's much more fun watching somebody strike out as they swing for the fences than play it safe-- though I don't think it was a strike out... oh nevermind.  It rocks.

What I really love about the movie is the music.  The muzak, the fast-motion music, the odd melodies-- as diverse and crazy as what we're watching.

"Your brother, fifteen thousand dollars, eight hours"

cowboykurtis

i dont like this movie
...your excuses are your own...

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

sigh, i'll never afford all these criterion titles.

my best chance is if i "happen to come across" a whole lot of them "in a dark alley" like mac does.
under the paving stones.

mindfuck

One of my great dreams in life is to one day own a complete set of the Criterion Collection. That would be awesome.

ono