Tim & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie

Started by Ravi, December 02, 2011, 03:25:16 PM

Ravi

Red band trailer

Synopsis: After two guys are given a billion dollars to make a movie, their Hollywood dreams run off course and they decide to rehabilitate a run-down shopping mall in an attempt to make the money back.

Release date: On demand January 27, 2012. In theaters March 2, 2012

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

polkablues

That's typically implied by the red band trailer.
My house, my rules, my coffee

O.

superb

polkablues

It's like this decade's Freddy Got Fingered, and I'm not just saying that because I get Robert Loggia and Rip Torn confused with each other.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Sundance 2012: Angry moviegoers storm out of 'Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie'
Source: EW

The number of walkouts during a recent Sundance showing of Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie, was almost as funny as the vulgar abominations of comedy happening onscreen.

Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim, known for their bizarre comedy sketch show Tim and Eric's Awesome Show, Great Job! on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, expanded their gallery of grotesques and non sequitors to a feature length movie, which made its debut here in Park City.

The surreal (to say the least) story follows Tim and Eric after they lose $1 billion on a movie starring a Johnny Depp lookalike, then have to take over an apocalyptic shopping mall full of hobos, wolves, and losers to earn back the money. Bloodshed, sadistic bathroom humor, and heavy-duty nincompoopery follow.

At least one couple storming out of the theater actually hollered back at the screen. Heidecker and Wareheim could barely contain their glee at a post-screening Q&A. "What'd he say?" Heidecker demanded.

The incident happened during a scene where the two guys are riding around in a cart chasing hobos out of the derelict mall, screaming "Get the f— out!"

A man stomping out of the theater at that moment shouted back, "We f–king ARE!" About two dozen people had already fled before that, and many more took off after. About two-thirds of the audience remained by the time the credits rolled.

When Heidecker and Wareheim took the stage for a Q&A, the audience was both playful and hostile. The guys made up nicknames for the questioners, and the questioners weren't shy about mocking them back.

"Questions?" Heidecker said, kicking things off. "What kind of questions could you possibly have?"

"What the f–k!" one audience member shouted.

Heidecker's answer: "F–k you. What else? ... You, baldy?"

The folically challenged moviegoer asked about a scene where the two roly-poly gentlemen share a bath and shave each other. "Which one of you got wood first?"

"Next question," Heidecker answered.

"What's the moral of the story?" someone shouted.

"Friendship," Heidecker snapped.

"Next?" Wareheim said.

"What was the actual budget of the film and how much of that budget was for drugs?" a woman asked.

The audience laughed. "It's a low-budget film," Wareheim shrugged. "Under a billion."

Their favorite part? "For me, it's seeing it in a movie theater. We're used to TV where there's not a [live] audience. To see it with a group of people who are enjoying it, or cringing and screaming, or covering their eyes the whole time, that's kind of amazing for me."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This movie is really awesome, but it's a love it or hate it type of movie.  It's got its flaws as a film goes, but it's not just a sketch comedy film.  It even leaves behind a lot of Tim and Eric inside jokes and mostly just carries over the humor.  If you like the show, then you will likely enjoy the movie, but it is not just a string of tired gags.  A lot of it puzzles me as to how it was ever even on the big screen at all, some very questionable scenes that I can't help but love.

Basically, I don't know how to review this movie at least not at this point.  I'm still reeling from it, I cried my eyes out.  But that's because I really love the show and was still really excited to meet the both of them.  What I can say is the movie doesn't disappoint at all if you love their show, it continues that humor and they translate it well into a feature script that isn't just sketch after sketch.  I can't guarantee you'll be amazed by it if it's not your cup of tea.  I mean, it probably really is funny, but I recognize my bias here.  Eventually my theater will get it and I'll be able to make more of an assessment than I have now.

Point being, see it with friends, probably tipsy to drunk.

Side-story:

I work at one of the select theaters that this got an advance screening for.  These are the rare days I look forward to when otherwise it's a lame to so-so job.  It was a slow enough night and apparently my managers like me enough to just let me watch the whole thing while on the clock.  I was very grateful, they are all aware of how big of a Tim and Eric fan I am, so they let me sit in on it.  I felt guilty, so I'd poke my head out of the theater to see if it was busy, but they were always like "Nah, go back to the movie."  Eventually, towards the end, I checked to see if it was busy again, and they said "No, but Tim and Eric are in the lobby right now."  This is usually different, as usually people show up for Q&A's like bigshots where they want to come in, suffer through the Q&A and sneak out.  I don't look down on this option, I'm sure celebrities have shit to do.  But I've seen Tim and Eric at the Vic and even through talking to Tim and Eric, they affirm that Chicago is one of the cities they're best received in.

Also to the point, I got to meet them.  They are incredible guys.  Before the movie was over, I got to talk with them a little before the Q&A began and they're just so hilarious to converse with.  I had with me the .com DVD but asked them to sign my Heart of Darkness book, and they both laughed and signed it.  It almost seemed passe to me to ask them to sign the DVD, as everyone would be asking for that anyway.  The Q&A was also really funny where they barely even answer questions, they just tell some sort of joke that is basically a deflection but is otherwise hilarious. 

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

matt35mm

That's great. I saw them and the movie yesterday. It was a good time. And yes, they didn't really answer any questions during the Q&A.