The Adjustment Bureau

Started by MacGuffin, May 12, 2010, 02:47:07 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: September 17th, 2010 (wide) 

Starring: Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, Anthony Mackie, Shohreh Aghdashloo, Christoph Waltz

Directed by: George J. Nolfi 

Premise: On the brink of winning a seat in the U.S. Senate, ambitious politician David Norris meets beautiful contemporary ballet dancer Elise Sellas -- a woman like none he's ever known. But just as he realizes he's falling for her, mysterious men conspire to keep the two apart. David learns he is up against the agents of Fate itself -- the men of The Adjustment Bureau -- who will do everything in their considerable power to prevent David and Elise from being together. In the face of overwhelming odds, he must either let her go and accept a predetermined path... or risk everything to defy Fate and be with her.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Yeah, this looks well dumb.

Gold Trumpet

Damon usually isn't too bad with picking scripts, but maybe he's aligning himself to a type of genre. Will Smith chose to do science fiction films in the 90s to get ahead in his career and that genre alliance got him make things like Wild Wild West. Damon could see himself in light of being a Cary Grant everyman type with thrillers or this trailer just could be really bad and we have no idea. I always remind myself of Cellular and how that film went against expectation and how we ultimately can't say anything over a trailer. We're always tempted to do so and often we do anyways.

Anyways, I think Emily Blunt is gorgeous and so she alone could get me to see this movie.

children with angels

Man, this looks like it could have been a REALLY great concept if handled as dark comedy or a farce. Instead it seems they're trying to make it the romance version of The Matrix. A shame - I hate to see a promising idea wasted: not only does it make for a frustrating movie, it also prevents any other attempts at similar material that could have come in the near future.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

pete

was dark city that forgettable?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: pete on May 12, 2010, 10:16:11 PM
was dark city that forgettable?

no it was just that never-seen.
under the paving stones.

children with angels

Oh, it's a Philip K. Dick adaptation - hence the good concept (and the similarity to other clearly Dick-influenced stuff)...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

yeah it's the worst title ever.

sounds like a piece of office furniture.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

It's another PKD based on a short story.  The story was pretty interesting... before he went batshit, but still creative.  I would like to enjoy this movie and hope it's just a shitty trailer.

I love Terrance Stamp and PKD enough to at least check it out, but it will probably suck.

Dark City forever.

tpfkabi

PKDick story with no Sci-Fi elements (at least in that summary)?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

RegularKarate

Quote from: bigideas on May 13, 2010, 02:51:48 PM

Did you watch the trailer?
Or read the summary?

tpfkabi

Quote from: RegularKarate on May 14, 2010, 10:12:47 AM
Quote from: bigideas on May 13, 2010, 02:51:48 PM

Did you watch the trailer?
Or read the summary?

No. (but just did)
Yes.

Did you read my prior post where I mention the summary?

Most PKD I'm aware is heavy on futuristic type stuff - using sci fi devices not even invented at the present time. The summary definitely doesn't hint at that. The trailer does maybe a little but it seems present day for the most part.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

RegularKarate

The idea of an organization that controls fate is sci-fi and VERY PKD.  that's in the summary alone.