Cinderella Man - Ron Howard's Film

Started by Finn, February 03, 2004, 07:31:38 AM

Finn

Starring:

Russel Crowe
Renee Zellwager
Paul Giamatti

The story of Depression-era fighter and folk hero Jim Braddock, who defeated heavyweight champ Max Baer in a 15-round slugfest in 1935.

Recent News:
New dad Russell Crowe's shoulder injury has come back to haunt him on the set of boxing movie Cinderella Man - he has closed the film down after dislocating it again. The actor suffered his first injury while shooting Gladiator and then again on the set of circus drama Flora Plum. His pain was so extreme he had to pull out of the project. And now he has to undergo surgery and physical therapy to rehab his shoulder again. Insiders claim the Cinderella Man set will be shut down for a month, to allow the star to recover. That'll mean a nice Oscars break for Renee Zellweger, who stars alongside Crowe in the Ron Howard-directed movie.

Release Date:
December 17, 2004
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

MacGuffin

In America Star Considine Joins Cinderella Man
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

English actor Paddy Considine (In America) is in talks to make his major studio debut starring opposite Russell Crowe in Universal Pictures/Miramax Films' period boxing project Cinderella Man. Ron Howard is directing and producing along with Brian Grazer and Penny Marshall.

Russell Crowe stars in the story inspired by the life of legendary athlete Jim Braddock, a once-promising light heavyweight boxer forced into retirement after a string of losses in the ring. As the nation enters the darkest years of the Great Depression, Braddock accepts a string of dead-end jobs to support his wife, Mae (Renee Zellweger), and their children, while never totally abandoning his dream of boxing again.

Thanks to a last minute cancellation, Braddock finds himself back in the ring against the second-ranked world contender--and to everyone's amazement, Braddock wins in the third round. Despite being pounds lighter than his opponents and repeated injuries to his hands, Braddock continues to fight against challengers and win. Carrying on his shoulders the hopes and dreams of the disenfranchised masses, Braddock, dubbed the "Cinderella Man," faces his toughest challenger in Max Baer (Craig Bierko), the heavyweight champion of the world, renowned for having killed two men in the ring.

Written by Cliff Hollingsworth, C. Gaby Mitchell, Akiva Goldsman, the film also stars Paul Giamatti. Considine would star as Hank, Braddock's best friend and fellow dockworker.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Ultrahip

sickfins

Myxo

Just watched the trailer.

That's three minutes of my life I'm not getting back.

matt35mm

My God.  It's Seabiscuit, but with a man.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

Quote from: Small Town Loner
Release Date:
December 17, 2004
yeah, what happened to that date?  even as recently as a few weeks ago the damn Washington Post holiday movie preview had this listed as being released this month.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Quote from: themodernage02
Release Date:
December 17, 2004
yeah, what happened to that date?  even as recently as a few weeks ago the damn Washington Post holiday movie preview had this listed as being released this month.

Recent News:
New dad Russell Crowe's shoulder injury has come back to haunt him on the set of boxing movie Cinderella Man - he has closed the film down after dislocating it again. The actor suffered his first injury while shooting Gladiator and then again on the set of circus drama Flora Plum. His pain was so extreme he had to pull out of the project. And now he has to undergo surgery and physical therapy to rehab his shoulder again. Insiders claim the Cinderella Man set will be shut down for a month, to allow the star to recover. That'll mean a nice Oscars break for Renee Zellweger, who stars alongside Crowe in the Ron Howard-directed movie.

Probably delayed because of this.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

The Golden Hue of the entire movie seems to subliminally say "Oscar."

I still say it looks exactly like Seabiscuit, but with a man.  You've got hope in the Depression-era in the form of sports, an animal/man that no one believes in until he starts winning, and people listening to the big final race/fight over the radio and pumping their fists and stuff like that.

Pozer

Am I the only one who cringes when I hear the title of this movie. Cinderella Man. Are you F-ing kidding me?  
no, seriously. Are you kidding me?

cine

Quote from: POZERAm I the only one who cringes when I hear the title of this movie. Cinderella Man. Are you F-ing kidding me?  
no, seriously. Are you kidding me?
the public likes the title. trust me, I asked.

pete

russel crowe is like the mel gibson of actors.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton