Broken Lizard's Club Dread

Started by Fishbulb, December 18, 2003, 05:28:15 PM

Weird. Oh

Surprisingly, Ebert and Roeper gave it two thumbs up. well kind of. Ebert gave it thumbs down but reluctantly. I was surprised. Now I think I'll have to see it.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

prophet

We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

modage

that was quick...

Fox Home Entertainment have sent over details on the region one release of Club Dread which stars Bill Paxton, Brittany Daniel and Jordan Ladd. This new comedy from director Jay Chandrasekhar will be available to own from the 25th May this year, and should set you back around $27.98. The disc will include both anamorphic widescreen and full screen presentations as well as English Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish Dolby Surround and French Dolby Surround tracks. Extras will include a Director commentary, a Broken Lizard commentary and a soundtrack spot. English and Spanish subtitles will also be included. I'm afraid we don't have the artwork yet, but we'll bring you that shortly. Stay tuned.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

http://www.brokenlizard.com/blog/

paul, 3 months ago (5/30/04 5:59PM PST):      
DVD issues

Hey guys,
I've seen some chatter on the blog about the dvd, the lack of extra features, the Special Edition, and something about an alternate ending. So let me clear up a few things....
-Fox told us that they were planning on releasing 2 dvds: a theatrical cut, and then, in the fall, a Special Edition, which would include all the extra features most of us have come to expect in a dvd, plus most of the scenes that we had to cut from the theatrical version. To us, this sounded like kind of a racket. But alas, we have no control over these things. They actually were planning on releasing the theatrical version without the commentary tracks. (this tells you a little bit about the people we're dealing with) We were able to throw enough of a shit-fit to get them to squeeze the commentary on, but as far the 2 versions, they're trying to make more money, and there's no way to argue a movie studio out of trying to make more money. (and trust me, it's income we don't see a dime of)
There is no alternate ending. Super Troopers had an alternate ending. Maybe that's what's confusing people.
So I would say, if you feel like buying both, good for you. If you want to buy one of them, good for you. If you want to buy neither, good for you. Just don't think that Broken Lizards are trying to rip you off. We would just as soon pluck out our own testicles with ice tongs.

Amazon.com lists the unrated version as coming out September 28.

Ravi

Quote from: puddnannersSaw this movie this afternoon, and thought that it was really entertaining.  I have not seen Super Troopers, so I went into this relatively unsure about Broken Lizard's brand of comedy, but after seeing this, consider me a fan.  I think what seperates this flick from Super Troopers (again, I am asuming, because i have not seen ST) is that this is not a straight comedy, it is actually a horror movie that is funny.  But not funny in a Scream 1/2/3 sense, where the jokes are at the expense of the genre (and are also not funny), but more like an Evil Dead, where there is plenty of humor, but also some decent scares and an obvious respect for genre (beyond that, this movie is nothing like Evil Dead though).  I think the best character was Cocoanut Pete played by Bill Paxton.  The Jimmy Buffet spoofing was really funny (Album titles like "Sea Shanties, Wet Panties" and "Spanish Fly Fisherman", not to mention the song "Pina Colada-berg").  Overall, not great acting or great filmmaking, but just a good, smart script that is perhaps 15 minutes too long.  Also, several attractive people get naked.

Your review is spot on.  It's not a direct parody of slasher films but it is funny, and occasionally makes fun of the cliches of the genre (someone dying right outside of the view of people, killer isn't really dead, etc.).