Sexy Beast

Started by Bruce Lee, August 01, 2004, 06:13:08 AM

Bruce Lee

How many of you have seen this film? i bought it the other day for £3.99
and was quite surprised at how entertaining it was.
Although the english accents are waaaaay over done and probably appeal more to the non english market, where everyone else thinks thats how we speak.

Anyways....favourite bit apart from the intro and other bits and bobs has to be the dream bunny figure that comes to assassinate(?) the main character.
If you don't have an image of the bunny man (waaaay better than the lame donnie darko attempt) holding up the uzi in the desert you should put it up on the banner above as its hella cool.

Pubrick

Quote from: Bruce Leethe dream bunny figure that comes to assassinate(?) the main character.
If you don't have an image of the bunny man
that would be the beast of the title.

i don't think it's comparable to the rabbit-like creature in donnie darko. at all.
under the paving stones.

Bruce Lee

ah right is it...so who's sexy? because that fat bastard certainly isn't.

but as bunny costumes go this ones a killer

Pubrick

it is the sexy beast.

it's the force he can't seem to pull away from, it haunts him in his dreams as a rather obvious manifestation of his struggle with criminal life. to carry the metaphor further, i think it probably started fluffy in his youth, and went feral when he stopped caring for it.. now its attraction is stronger than ever because the primal state has access to his innermost core, hence the intrusive character of Don Logan. *SPOILER* the killing of don logan is the release from its grip. the final shot shows that logan is probably more at peace in the realm of the beast, as he's always been comfortable with it, and now he can spit in its face. a redemption of sorts.

this is the basic stuff the movie counts on ppl understanding.

anything else u'd like explained? maybe this shot..

under the paving stones.

coffeebeetle

That last one is simply fantastic.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Bruce Lee

Right just rewatched some of it....
The 'Sexy Beast' is a reference to the past life of Gal when he was a full fledged criminal living a sexy life through violence and hurt.

This can be confirmed when he is chatting to Logan, and Logan says;

''very attractive to the ladies but a beast nonetheless.''

...the bunny represents the beast (the uncertainty of death and danger), and once the job is done and he is returned to his safe haven spanish life his beast is buried and gone with the other beast( boulder) Logan, his love conquering symbolised through the hearts on the bottom of the pool.

yeah, baby!

Pubrick

yeah, that's what i just said.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

....i m glad to see the love for this film.......b/c this film is pucking great .i do believe that thi swill be an all postive thread....like jacobs ladder........if youi think this film sucks then you dont know sh*t bout film and therefore you should visit the askewniverse message boards w/ the rest of the fakes. ..and post about the ambigious metaphors for "snoothie boochies" and "schnoogians".......

besides the performance.by kingsley/winstone.and that wierd kid....and all other sh*t.the beginnign rules  in a roadrunner/coyote vibe....and the wildest shot is when that guy [possibly getting some anal/roast beef] ..and he lifts his head up and the water is splashing and sh*t.....wicked stuff......

Bruce Lee

Its always fun to see Love-Joy being buggered.
...here's my favourite moment;

...the easter egg bunny wants his eggs back.

Mesh

Rabbits are sexual dynamos.  Ever heard the phrases "Fuck like bunnies" or "Multiply like rabbits"?

cowboykurtis

the rabbit was actually the only part of the film that i disliked -- seemed very out of place -- the last shot of the film just didn't work for me -- the dreams as well -- would have loved to see the straight drama without throwing in these few moments of surrealism -- didnt add anything to film -- that rabbit looks laughable -- just bad all around -- love the film however -- can't wait for BIRTH
...your excuses are your own...

Bruce Lee

^
I feel completely opposite to you, not only is the rabbit essential to the film in bringing tension to as what evil force is coming for Gal but its also frickin fun and cool to watch. He looks like something from a DR. Zeuss book but gone bad, naturaly.