Spider

Started by bonanzataz, February 25, 2003, 07:28:25 PM

MacGuffin

Cronenberg Talks Spider

The story follows a man (Fiennes) from London's East End who is trying to put his life back together after an early release from a metal institution.  Journaling his days, the man attempts to find out the truth about his mysterious past and his mother's death.  Spider was her nickname for him.  Gabriel Byrne, Lynn Redgrave and Miranda Richardson also star.

Cronenberg recently dropped a line to FiLM magazine and Landmark Theater's movie enthusiast group.  He says, "Little did I know how many times, and in what a concrete way, I would be playing the role of Spider myself when I undertook my 9-cities-in-9-days tour of America for Sony Pictures Classics. Many people have told me how much they love the first, flowing shot of Spider, which ends with Spider himself, played by Ralph Fiennes, descending gingerly from a train in London onto the empty platform. You know right away that the man is out of place, confused, and troubled."

"And now I, I get off the plane, and like Spider I am carrying only the clothes on my back and one small, chaotically crammed suitcase which contains all my worldly possessions. I am confused, mumbling to myself, distracted by the jumble of people around me, not sure where to go, not sure which city I'm in, not convinced I really speak the language, hopeful that I'll actually hook up with the one person who can guide me. It is the ultimate Spider experience, the closest I've ever come to him, and I have Spider himself to thank for it."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

xerxes

just saw it. still not really sure how i feel about it... didn't hate it, like my friend who i saw it with did, but i didn't exactly like it either... i guess i'll sleep on it...

Markyboy

Cronenberg is an intriguing guy. I'm glad he didn't end up doing Basic Instinct 2, I think it would have been a shocker.

I only just saw eXistenZ on the weekend, it just blew my mind, but I felt it could have explored the world it had created deeper ..... visually ..... gone a bit crazy like The Cell or Being John Malkovich. Maybe it didn't have the budget for that? Jennifer Jason Leigh was ....... I'm not sure how to finish that, HOT is the obvious word that comes to mind.

I saw 'Crash' well before I considered myself a movie fan, and I dubbed it the worst movie I'd ever seen. It's been long enough and I guess I need to give it another chance, anyone here a fan?

Anyway all I know about Spider is from this interview.

http://www.abc.net.au/arts/film/stories/s660704.htm

And here's just a great quote:

" ...there's Spiderman and then there's Spider. I don't want to trash anyone. I watched A Beautiful Mind which on a very mechanical level - being a Hollywood movie done by professionals - it works. But I loath and despise the film. Is that clear?"
A shiny, gold, tall, inexpensive prick.

budgie

Quote from: MarkyboyI saw 'Crash' well before I considered myself a movie fan, and I dubbed it the worst movie I'd ever seen. It's been long enough and I guess I need to give it another chance, anyone here a fan?

I loved Crash, but my friend has tried watching it over and still can't get into it. I don't know why, I find it really moving and very erotic. It really made me want to go out and drive again. Why didn't you like it?

I can't believe that people here are not seeing Spider. What is wrong with you?  :cry:

©brad

i wish i could but it won't come here. you would think being in liverpool you would get really cool movies instead of Two Weeks Notice. Im going to have to watch a shit ton of movies once I get back in May to catch up.

Newtron

Quote from: budgieI loved Crash, but my friend has tried watching it over and still can't get into it. I don't know why, I find it really moving and very erotic. It really made me want to go out and drive again.
You're into leather, aren't you.

Cecil

Quote from: Markyboy
I saw 'Crash' well before I considered myself a movie fan, and I dubbed it the worst movie I'd ever seen. It's been long enough and I guess I need to give it another chance, anyone here a fan?

crash is amazing. and yes, very erotic.

budgie

Quote from: NewtronYou're into leather, aren't you.

No. I do have a thing about vinyl car seats on a baking hot day though. That acrid smell and the way it melts against your skin and scorches at the same time. It probably has something to do with the neighbour's red Capri when I was a kid.

Markyboy

Quote from: budgieI loved Crash, but my friend has tried watching it over and still can't get into it. I don't know why, I find it really moving and very erotic. It really made me want to go out and drive again. Why didn't you like it?

I vagely remember the experience - just didn't enjoy it at all. At the time I probably watched it purely for the "most controversial movie you will ever see" banner on the cover. I couldn't believe the bodily injuries/auto-erotisism connection. It pretty much sickened me. :yabbse-tongue: Maybe I missed the point. Ok. I'm gonna give it another watch.
A shiny, gold, tall, inexpensive prick.

CollinBullock

I was visiting new york recently, and I saw Spider.  I though it was hell of a movie, and probaly the best work Ralph Fiennes has ever done.  If course, it was defiently kind of a step in a different direction for Cronenberg, in that he made a character study with no "humans having sex with machines" subtext.  Good for him.  As much as I love his apocalyptic organic/mechanical themes, it was nice to see him try something different.

I also saw Irreversible.  Not so sure what to think about that one.  It was an experience though, I'll give it that.
Reality is extraordinary.  Unfourtanetly, the best parts don't make good movies - Terry Gilliam

bonanzataz

That movie was just crazy insane! Did Ralph Fiennes say one understandable word of english that another character didn't say or was about to say throughout the whole movie? AND it was consistently entertaining. I don't understand how it works...

I was expecting a little more Cronenbergness, but this was very good. Miranda Richardson proves herself again with a faaaaaaaaantastic performance. I'll have to see it again to fully understand it. I was a little out of it tonight.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

I'm not condoning drug use or anything, but...if for some reason you ever happen to drop acid, you should try reading J.G. Ballard's novel upon which 'Crash' was based. Reeaaal interesting.

RegularKarate

Quote from: GhostboyI'm not condoning drug use or anything, but...if for some reason you ever happen to drop acid, you should try reading J.G. Ballard's novel upon which 'Crash' was based. Reeaaal interesting.

Yeah, that's it... drop some acid, then sit down and try to read a book.

cowboykurtis

drop some acid and drive a car while getting road head.
...your excuses are your own...

©brad

drop some acid and drive a car while getting road head.