Federico Fellini

Started by cine, April 05, 2003, 01:58:36 PM

tpfkabi

really? you can go to your library and get universities to send videos? how do you go about that? my town and library are very, very small. under 5,000 people.
when i was going to the university, they had a lot of good films. i saw Breathless and the 400 Blows, sunrise, chaplin and keaton films, sevearl of Kurosawa's films.......up there there was a chain videostore called HOllywood Videos and they had the more famous Tati, Fellini, Bergman, Antonioni,Godard, etc films. when i knew i was going to move back home and have no access, i rented like crazy. i was watching 2-3 films almost every day.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pastor Parsley

I just moved to a town of 7,000.  Go to your public library, and ask them how to request materials from the other libraries in the state.  They will give you an website address for your state request center.  You go to the website and you can pick from certain libraries, all public libraries, or colleges and universities.  You enter a search for the film name or director..it brings up the film...there will be a button somewhere that says 'save'... click it.  You can lookup several films and click save for each one you would like to request.  When you're done, there will be a button that says 'email requests'....click it.  It will take you to an email form with a list of the films you saved.  Ask your librarian for the email address of the person who submits the requests (you can't submit them directly yourself), they give it to you and you type it in, then type in your name and phone number.  The librarian will get the email and submit it for you and call you when they have received your requests.

I live in Minnesota, it's a nice change from Aspen, where I moved from, but unless Vin Diesel is in the film....it won't make it here.  The video rental places are terrible, there is no foreign film section.  But through the public library I can request just about everything....including film prints.

tpfkabi

that's cool. thanks. i'm not sure if things will work like that in Texas.
you can check out actual prints? i'm guessing you mean of recent films? where would you go to watch them?

Pastor Parsley

Good question, I'm still milling through a list of about 200 films on vhs I haven't seen and want to request.  I assume the film prints, since the ones i've found are located at the universities, are of the small 'classroom projector' format.  So down the road i'll buy one off some school that doesn't use it anymore.  I think all schools use vhs these days, so i'm hoping it won't be too hard to find one.

I'm sure you have some sort of Interlibrary Loan system in Texas.  If MN does TX must.

p.s. surprisingly, the prints are older...I can request films like 400 blows, Ran, Exterminating Angel,...etc.

dufresne

i really want to see Juliet of the Spirits and La Dolce Vita.
There are shadows in life, baby.

Mesh

Quote from: dufresneJuliet of the Spirits

It's the fluffiest and most occult of the Fellini film's I've seen.  Gorgeous use of color throughout, toys with sexuality roles....Highly stylized, very enjoyable, and, though not a masterpiece, unmistakably an entertaining piece of the Fellini career arc.

Ravi

Did you like "Juliet of the Spirits" the first time you saw it?  I saw it recently and I just did not like it.  I don't know what it was about it, but I found it a bit boring.  I may see it again once I see some other Fellini films.  The only other one I've seen is "8 1/2."

Duck Sauce

8 1/2 bored me, I want to see La Dolce Vita, but im not sprinting out to get it.

Pozer

Ducks, watch it again

trust me, it ages nicely

cowboykurtis

i still argue that 81/2 has one of the greatest opening scenes in cinema history
...your excuses are your own...

Gold Trumpet

Duck Sauce, if 8 1/2 bored you, then you stand no chance with La Dolce Vita.

~rougerum

Ghostboy

Definitely give it another chance. The first time I watched it, it was really late at night and I had trouble staying awake, so I turned it off halfway through. I started it over again the next day and loved every minute of it.

MacGuffin

I just rewatched it again last week after a long while, probably since I first bought the DVD when it first came out, and poser is right. It gets better with each viewing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Quote from: GhostboyDefinitely give it another chance. The first time I watched it, it was really late at night and I had trouble staying awake, so I turned it off halfway through. I started it over again the next day and loved every minute of it.

Me too! only i loathed almost every minute of it.

tpfkabi

i have yet to go to the library yet to see if they can get films from universities. i work pretty much every minute they're open.
a
anywho, i wondered what the rules were regarding that:
like, how many films can you check out at a time?
who pays for shipping expense?
i'm thinking since it is a library, maybe there is no shipping for educational purposes, but i could be wrong.