AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS CHRISTOPHER NOLAN IS A GENIUS?

Started by Xeditor, January 18, 2003, 12:34:03 PM

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Derek
Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: DerekI really don't think that in 1989 people knew or cared about who was making Batman

Why not?

Because there was no internet and a lot less widespread discussion about movies.

You may have forgotten there were other means of communication before the internet. And because there were less widespread discussions doesnt mean people cant disapprove of a director.

Derek

Quote from: Derek
Quote from: DerekI really don't think that in 1989 people knew or cared about who was making Batman

Why not?

Because there was no internet and a lot less widespread discussion about movies.

You may have forgotten there were other means of communication before the internet. And because there were less widespread discussions doesnt mean people cant disapprove of a director.

Yes, thank God for the Pony Express. And, how old were you, three, when Batman came out?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

©brad

02/21/03
Ready for yet another Batman casting rumor? This one is way out of left field: Patrick Warburton may play the Caped Crusader. You may know Warburton as TV's The Tick or from his recurring role on Seinfeld as Puddy. (The Howard Stern Show)

LOL, this just gets better and better. "Feels like an Arby's night Alfred..."

MacGuffin

Superhero Hype reports that Warners has purchased both BatmanTheFrightening.com and BatmanTheFrightening.net domain names, whilst an apparent review of the script has appeared online: "The fact that things are happening in his [Bruce Wayne's] head at the same time the story is actually taking place is done very well, and i really enjoyed the scenes when he is locked in Arkham and sees The Joker again.... it gave a good insight into Bruce's emotions as well when he thinks he has failed, and I love when he knows he is dying so he goes after The Scarecrow in more of a suicide mission. I liked the batsuit, and how it was almost a character in itself, and the Batmobile had a decent chase scene. I liked the quick little intro of Barbara Gordon. It fits Nolan's directing style like a black winged, leather glove".

Read for yourself:
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme3/parallax/batman.txt
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Adam0199

Nolan should have his own category without a doubt, I mean if that pussy Cameron Crowe does. He gets one post a month. Some dork who talks about Fast Times or a chick who really likes the Elton John sign along in Almost Famous.
Brian De Palma “Repeat yourself-only better.”

I knew that if I had the chance to direct a film that it would be an unpleasant experience, which it was and still is and never ends because one has a million chances to control things and people. Especially people and things, things and people. Controlling people . . . it's just hateful, it's the most horrible thing in the world and I'm very vindictive and unforgiving and punishing and it's horrible. And I knew I would be sucked in and I would have to control the food at craft service and I would have to control everything and if one thing didn't go right I would have to punish everyone. -Vincent Gallo

Pedro

Quote from: Adam0199...that pussy Cameron Crowe...Some dork who talks about Fast Times or a chick who really likes the Elton John sign along in Almost Famous.

I don't like the fact that there is a category for him either.  But are you serious about what you just said?  I guess you're new.  Seriously though if you keep expressing opinions by calling people "pussies" well...you are defenitely going to have some problems with many on this board.  Anyway, I'm not trying to pick a fight, just some advice.

When do I get an upgrade from this "film editor" thing?

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Adam0199Nolan should have his own category without a doubt, I mean if that pussy Cameron Crowe does. He gets one post a month. Some dork who talks about Fast Times or a chick who really likes the Elton John sign along in Almost Famous.

Nolan and Crowe should be without categories in my opinion, but at least Crowe has more movies than Nolan so there is more to talk about. What do you mean by "that pussy" Cemeron Crowe? That was some stupid shit to say.

BonBon85

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat
When do I get an upgrade from this "film editor" thing?

patience, patience

or when you hit 200 posts and become a screenwriter

MacGuffin

Chris Nolan Takes a Position of Prestige

Memento helmer will direct The Prestige, an adaptation of the Christopher Priest novel at Newmarket. Variety reports that Disney and Warner Bros. are in negotiations to split distribution rights.

The script was written by Jonathan Nolan, Chris' brother who wrote the story that formed the basis for Memento. The story begins in 1878, as a seance hatches a bitter rivalry between two young stage magicians. Jude Law is rumored to be a frontrunner for one of the roles.

Nolan is expected to next direct Batman, a franchise he is in the process of resurrecting at WB with screenwriter David Goyer. The scripting has begun, but "Prestige" may be filmed first.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

finlayr

No, you're not the only one who thinks Chris Nolan is a wonderful filmmaker.  And Insmonia was fantastic aswell as Memento, I thought.
Filmmaker

TenseAndSober

I don't think Insomnia was that bad...it was a good story and idf you put yourself in the Dorman characters shoes, you might have developed insomnia the way he did.  But Memento was fucking incredible.  Whats next for Chris Nolan?

MacGuffin

Quote from: TenseAndSoberWhats next for Chris Nolan?

Umm...go back three spaces than go to page three for the Batman announcement.

Skeleton FilmWorks

abbey road

yes memento and tha following were genius, but insomnia was embarringly stupid, and i think until he can show he's not a 2 hit wonder hes not a genius.
"we'll meet again in a life when we are both cats"
"you are what you love, not what loves you"
"I don't think your an asshole Royal, I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch"
"royal with cheese"
"i'm sure you have no idea what i'm talking about...but don't worry...you will someday"

godardian

I enjoyed both Memento and Insomnia for what they were, but I wouldn't call Nolan a "genius."

I haven't seen The Following.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING...

According to E! Online it seems that not only is Ashton Kutchner a candidate for the role of Batman, he is in fact the ONLY candidate. Seems that "when now out director Brett Ratner got close to casting Superman this year, he tested and retested Kutcher, who apparently did well. The "known mostly as a comic actor and that's even a stretch" Kutcher seemed to want Bats over Supes (who wouldn't?) and is now close to being announced as the lead in the flick to be directed by Christopher Nolan". This rumour was backed up by a report from DH insider 'Turncoat' who elaborates a bit more on the situation - "Christopher Nolan wants Guy Pearce. I think that's about the extent of it. Essentially, the studio has had another 'Ratner' situation on their hands, because the director wants someone, and the studio wants someone else. That someone the studio wants is Ashton Kutcher. Thankfully, it's not as big a deal as the whole Superman thing [which has been madness], because in this place everyone gets along - and from what I hear Kutcher is the new Batman. Done deal".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.