Fahrenheit 9/11

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 01, 2003, 09:21:36 AM

ono

No, I admire Moore's ability to cut footage and I'm trying to take what's presented as objectively as possible.  What I'm saying is it COULD have been taken out of context.  You must've mistaken me for SoNowThen.  Please don't.

The only thing I'm really worried about is, perhaps this movie was released too soon before the election.  Why not wait until late September or early October to let it have a real impact on the election?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: DonamatopoeiaWhy not wait until late September or early October to let it have a real impact on the election?
Because all the controversy and momentum in the air today will have fizzled out completely.

MacGuffin

Quote from: DonamatopoeiaThe only thing I'm really worried about is, perhaps this movie was released too soon before the election.  Why not wait until late September or early October to let it have a real impact on the election?

Quote from: The Los Angeles Times article on the previous pageMoore has told potential distributors that he wanted the film released in the summer and its video to debut in the fall, so that both would precede November's U.S. presidential election.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

'comes the years most controversial film' is a pretty tall order in the same year as the passion, but i guess we'll see.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWhat is this, some kind of ironic revenge? From Michael Moore to Herr Murdoch?

Wouldn't Fahrenheit 911/Passion of the Christ make a great DVD 2-pack?

NEON MERCURY

i have a michael m$$re related question?

isnt MM just like rush limbaugh in that one person does all of thier left wing propaganda on film...and the other does all of thier right wing propaganda on radio?

..note: i m not a fan of either but i am curious of an answer.  

as for F 9/11 i really did enjoy BFC regardless if it was part fabricated or what not or if it is all true.  ..BFC was remarkable.  and  i hope that F 9/11 is just as good.....

Ghostboy

Quote from: Ravi

Wouldn't Fahrenheit 911/Passion of the Christ make a great DVD 2-pack?

I really wish Icon had gone ahead and financed it...what a delectable conflict of interest that would be for those folks who believe that Mel and everything he touches should be canonized.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: NEON MERCURYisnt MM just like rush limbaugh in that one person does all of thier left wing propaganda on film...and the other does all of thier right wing propaganda on radio?
Well, here's the difference:

Political propaganda (in this context) means fabrications invented and disseminated by the dominant power. The extreme right wing has been in power since 1981. Coersive powers (like our government) by definition have to shape perceptions (i.e. fabricate and lie) to stay in power.

Compare those motives with those of some one like Michael Moore. I'm tired of people assuming money is his motivation. Really, what evidence is there for that? His books and movies make a lot of money. It's not surprising... they're popular. Ralph Nader is exponentially wealthier than Moore. Who accuses him of being in it for the money? There are thousands and millions of people challenging the government on the same bases as Moore, many of them more eloqeuntly... are they in it for the money? It's absurd to dismiss the whole widespread ideology that Moore represents simply because you don't trust his personal motives for being popular. (as if any enemy of the state can be popular if they want money bad enough.)

Jeremy Blackman

Michael Moore explains his connections to Lions Gate and IFC

These are great distributors. Jon Feltheimer, the man who runs Lions Gate, was the executive in charge of the company that produced my television series, "TV Nation." And the people at IFC (which owned Bravo) were the same people responsible for funding and broadcasting my other series, "The Awful Truth." So we are in very good hands.

pete

look at that trailer--how can that trailer get them joe swing voter into the the theater?  it looks way too indie to oust George W Bush.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ono

Turn on C-SPAN now (8:04 PM EST, Friday June 4th) for some sort of talk on homeland security.  This guy Christopher Cox has mentioned Fahrenheit 9/11.  He's a republican.  Calls it propaganda, seems obviously against the film, and quotes with contempt the part of the film that intones "you can make people do anything if they are afraid."

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: DonamatopoeiaCalls it propaganda
Funny how often people get away with saying "IT'S JUST PROPAGANDA" without evidence.

Let me guess... he said the film gives aid and comfort to the enemy?

ono

Moreso that Moore and his ilk are blinded by hatred for Bush and ideological beliefs (heaven forbid someone be ideological these days).  But yeah, that sounds about right.  Not really comfort for the enemy, I'm sure, but it probably approaches empathy.  And they hate that.  But I wish I had rewind, or TiVo, or something, so I could catch all of what he said.

One zinger though: "I'm a believer in technology ... artificial intelligence beats real stupidity."  Wow, who's his writer?

indiana

Quote from: El Duderino
Quote from: indianahrm... just a other way for micheal moore to make fun of bush.
peace

or show everyone what he actually is.
can't he do both?
heh
peace
SONIC BOOM!

coffeebeetle

Quote from: petelook at that trailer--how can that trailer get them joe swing voter into the the theater?  it looks way too indie to oust George W Bush.

Please explain this.  By "indie" do you mean too intelligent for the average movie consumer to understand?  And was Bowling for Columbine too "indie"?  It did quite well if I remember correctly.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)